View Poll Results: Is SS Marriage a Reason for the decline.

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 3.85%
  • No

    68 87.18%
  • Other

    7 8.97%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 138

Thread: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marriage?

  1. #61
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    If it's more than just a set of rights then what's the "more" part? If it isn't spiritual then it must be something so what is it?
    "More" as in there is more to a legal status than just rights. There are duties, privileges, and categorization within the law. It ranges from taxes to how a car rental company treats the spouse of the person doing the renting. It affects bank loans, medical privacy, inheritance, and adoption. Even if you claim that a civil union is the same as a marriage, it isn't treated that way in the thousands of things that affect us due to marital status. The very act of having a separate status creates inequality.

    Meanwhile, your calls for "no marriage for anyone" is taking marriage from people who have it, all because you don't want gays to have it, too. If you had your way, I wouldn't be able to have a heterosexual marriage because I'm not religious. You're still creating a secondary, lesser status. That we've been calling it marriage for centuries means that any separate status, called anything else, will not be equal, no matter how equal you claim it to be. You have no right to take that from me, and the government has no legitimate interest in doing so. Likewise, the government has no legitimate interest in taking it away from gay couples.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,655

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Depends on the type of marriage being talked about, context.

    For legal marriage, it is just about becoming legal spouses and gaining the rights, benefits, etc. that come with that legal relationship.

    For individuals, there might be a spiritual component, but that is part of the "personal marriage".

    No civil unions have ever in the US been equal to marriage. Plus, the only reason they are being "offered" now is because some people are upset about same sex couples using the word marriage, not because those people really want to give up their marriages. They just don't want to share something they don't even own.
    Now I'm just confused. If there's a difference between "legal marriage" and "personal marriage" then why is there so much resistance to codifying that difference in law?

  3. #63
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Now I'm just confused. If there's a difference between "legal marriage" and "personal marriage" then why is there so much resistance to codifying that difference in law?
    Religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    The decline in marriage started falling long before SSM was an issue... long before...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #65
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    I voted no.



    The reason why marriage is less common now is....wait for it.....the ECONOMY.


    Less couples are willing to commit to having children, and without children, being married increases the tax rate for a couple, vs two single people. To marry or not has once again returned to it's roots...an economic decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,655

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    "More" as in there is more to a legal status than just rights. There are duties, privileges, and categorization within the law. It ranges from taxes to how a car rental company treats the spouse of the person doing the renting. It affects bank loans, medical privacy, inheritance, and adoption. Even if you claim that a civil union is the same as a marriage, it isn't treated that way in the thousands of things that affect us due to marital status. The very act of having a separate status creates inequality.

    Meanwhile, your calls for "no marriage for anyone" is taking marriage from people who have it, all because you don't want gays to have it, too. If you had your way, I wouldn't be able to have a heterosexual marriage because I'm not religious. You're still creating a secondary, lesser status. That we've been calling it marriage for centuries means that any separate status, called anything else, will not be equal, no matter how equal you claim it to be. You have no right to take that from me, and the government has no legitimate interest in doing so. Likewise, the government has no legitimate interest in taking it away from gay couples.
    All that stuff you mentioned is part of the legal construct of "marriage" and wouldn't change by replacing that term with "civil union" in the law. You still haven't come up with anything that, legally, differentiates "marriage" from "civil union".

    As far as "nobody can be married", I didn't say that at all. What I said was that the term "marriage" would be reserved to the individuals who chose to use it.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,655

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Religion.
    That sure seems to be what it's boiling down to and if that's the difference then it seems we may have a first amendment issue when it comes to the state sanctioning "marriage".

  8. #68
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    You're describing most political discussion.
    Most political discussion is drivel.

  9. #69
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,237

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Now I'm just confused. If there's a difference between "legal marriage" and "personal marriage" then why is there so much resistance to codifying that difference in law?
    Marriage in terms of legal status is just that. I do not want or expect me to explain or share the spiritual nature of my bond.

    What marriage means to a couple spiritually is up to them.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,655

    Re: Is the legalization of SS marriage a cause for the decline of heterosexual marria

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Marriage in terms of legal status is just that. I do not want or expect me to explain or share the spiritual nature of my bond.

    What marriage means to a couple spiritually is up to them.
    I'd agree. However, if that's the case then why is there so much resistance to the suggestion that the state ONLY recognize "civil unions" and leave the term "marriage" off the book altogether?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •