View Poll Results: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should be judged strictly by today's standards and mores.

    6 9.84%
  • Somewhere in the middle. (Please elaborate)

    9 14.75%
  • He should be judged by the standards and more of the time in which he lived.

    37 60.66%
  • Other

    9 14.75%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 146 of 146

Thread: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

  1. #141
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Something I read today suggested that he was out of line even by the standards of his time.

    But he had lots of gold and so was able to bribe the people who would have held a poorer man accountable.
    If you read articles written by hateful liberal wingnuts you get all sorts of wrong ideas.

    Here's a book about Columbus with a balanced view:

    Admiral of the Ocean Sea

    To get an idea of the standards of the times one needs look no further than the Spanish explorers who came to the New World after Columbus and what they did to the natives. Not only were the natives massacred wholesale they were forced to convert to catholicism and their native cultures were destroyed, their written materials burned, their wealth stolen, etc.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  2. #142
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

    Perhaps the better question is do we ever have a reason or condition to bring someone from history to be "judged" within the confines of today's standards and morals? I tend to think not, as all we end up doing is effectively re-writing history making it sound like those actions happened today.

    As someone who enjoys reading plenty about history, there usually is less interest in judging someone along the newest moral standards and more interest in learning from period in question against period standards (or perhaps against monumental standards.) Those are two very different things even though they sound very simiar.

  3. #143
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,572
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    If you read articles written by hateful liberal wingnuts you get all sorts of wrong ideas.

    Here's a book about Columbus with a balanced view:

    Admiral of the Ocean Sea

    To get an idea of the standards of the times one needs look no further than the Spanish explorers who came to the New World after Columbus and what they did to the natives. Not only were the natives massacred wholesale they were forced to convert to catholicism and their native cultures were destroyed, their written materials burned, their wealth stolen, etc.
    The assignment for this thread was not to evaluate the colonization of America, however. So whatever anybody did after the fact of Columbus's voyages is moot when we are evaluating Columbus the person. Many if not most historians believe Columbus never set foot on the North American mainland, and he certainly did not engineer or provide counsel for those explorers who followed in his footsteps. He was not responsible for the Spanish Conquistadors, the influence of the Spanish Roman Catholic Church or any other activities that occurred during the colonization any more than Jesus of Nazareth is responsible for the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem witch burnings.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #144
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    If you read articles written by hateful liberal wingnuts you get all sorts of wrong ideas.

    Here's a book about Columbus with a balanced view:

    Admiral of the Ocean Sea

    To get an idea of the standards of the times one needs look no further than the Spanish explorers who came to the New World after Columbus and what they did to the natives. Not only were the natives massacred wholesale they were forced to convert to catholicism and their native cultures were destroyed, their written materials burned, their wealth stolen, etc.
    Sounds pretty common throughout world history, and all over the world, not just Europeans vs native American societies.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #145
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    The assignment for this thread was not to evaluate the colonization of America, however. So whatever anybody did after the fact of Columbus's voyages is moot when we are evaluating Columbus the person. Many if not most historians believe Columbus never set foot on the North American mainland, and he certainly did not engineer or provide counsel for those explorers who followed in his footsteps. He was not responsible for the Spanish Conquistadors, the influence of the Spanish Roman Catholic Church or any other activities that occurred during the colonization any more than Jesus of Nazareth is responsible for the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem witch burnings.
    All of that is beside the point. The person I responded to alleged that Columbus was bad even for his day. I point to the behavior of other explorers to show that this allegation isn't true.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #146
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,572
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How should Christopher Columbus be judged?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    All of that is beside the point. The person I responded to alleged that Columbus was bad even for his day. I point to the behavior of other explorers to show that this allegation isn't true.
    You're right. I didn't read the post you were responding to and I did phrase my post as a rebuttal instead of a comment on your intent which I am mostly in agreement with. Sorry about that and apologies.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •