Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 202

Thread: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    So by that logic you think and insider is a good thing. What is it about pauls foreign policies that bother you.

    And you think carson is unqualified due to which beliefs?
    No that doesn't necessarily follow at all, I'm simply inclined to discount insider/outsider status completely in my decision. However I'm more skeptical of people who run on their 'outsider' credentials because it's usually a good sign that you have a populist on your hands.

    Paul's tendency towards non-interventionism and a scaled back US foreign policy is nothing short of disastrous in my view. Especially given the mistakes of the past administration and the vital juncture we're at in the world right now. I think Carson is unqualified because he is a radically socially conservative young earth creationist who is riding the coattails of the far right media sphere with his outrageous commentary. I would never vote for him.

  2. #52
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    And why would you say its over for mitt? The country is having serious buyers remorse about bho and wish they wouldve voted for mitt. He won the gop nomination before, he could again.

    People keep clamoring for a change in the status quo but when candidates like paul and carson get mentioned they run the other way

  3. #53
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    No that doesn't necessarily follow at all, I'm simply inclined to discount insider/outsider status completely in my decision. However I'm more skeptical of people who run on their 'outsider' credentials because it's usually a good sign that you have a populist on your hands.

    Paul's tendency towards non-interventionism and a scaled back US foreign policy is nothing short of disastrous in my view. Especially given the mistakes of the past administration and the vital juncture we're at in the world right now. I think Carson is unqualified because he is a radically socially conservative young earth creationist who is riding the coattails of the far right media sphere with his outrageous commentary. I would never vote for him.
    So you believe the us should get involved in all conflicts? At what point do you think its not a good idea?

    With regard to carson, so you are a single issue voter? And its not even an issue, its a belief. And are you certain its true and not a fiction the left fabricated from a quote?

    Im good either way, i think he would be a strict constitutionalist if he were elected. Not a monarch such as we have today. Mor would he be a big govt spender like gwb.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    So you believe the us should get involved in all conflicts? At what point do you think its not a good idea?

    With regard to carson, so you are a single issue voter? And its not even an issue, its a belief. And are you certain its true and not a fiction the left fabricated from a quote?

    Im good either way, i think he would be a strict constitutionalist if he were elected. Not a monarch such as we have today. Mor would he be a big govt spender like gwb.
    I think there are many conflicts the US should be involved in and/or should remain involved in. Whatever is necessary to preserve our hegemonic role in the world and continue to spread democracy and contain our enemies.

    No I'm not a single issue voter. But I do have personal litmus tests and not being a reactionary young earth creationist is on that list.

  5. #55
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    the ONLY one on that list who could win the presidency is jeb bush ... and then only if he was running against hillary clinton. then the name recognition would be a wash

    portman would be an excellent - read electable - candidate, which is why the GOP will not run him. seems they are only interested in unelectable tickets ... like the democratic party of kerry, gore and dukakis

    huntsman has proven that he does not have the necessary political instincts despite having his father's money. would be a superb statesman for some administration, however

    the one not listed, the one who has the potential to beat almost any demo candidate, is condi rice. black, female, gay, smart, experienced. she has it all - with the possible exception of no desire to run. y'all should be courting her. explain that if she does not run, hillary will win. that she needs to run, not for herself, but for our country. that's the winning ticket
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #56
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    And why would you say its over for mitt? The country is having serious buyers remorse about bho and wish they wouldve voted for mitt. He won the gop nomination before, he could again.

    People keep clamoring for a change in the status quo but when candidates like paul and carson get mentioned they run the other way
    buyer's remorse. good one
    did you hear the joke. mitt romney
    you will never hear him described as a man of the people. he is much too aloof. a mile wide and an inch deep
    bet you cannot still tell us what mitt stood for
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #57
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the ONLY one on that list who could win the presidency is jeb bush ... and then only if he was running against hillary clinton. then the name recognition would be a wash

    portman would be an excellent - read electable - candidate, which is why the GOP will not run him. seems they are only interested in unelectable tickets ... like the democratic party of kerry, gore and dukakis
    yeah. forgive me if after McCain and Romney I'm a bit jaded on taking liberals advice on who is or isn't electable.

    the one not listed, the one who has the potential to beat almost any demo candidate, is condi rice. black, female, gay, smart, experienced. she has it all - with the possible exception of no desire to run. y'all should be courting her. explain that if she does not run, hillary will win. that she needs to run, not for herself, but for our country. that's the winning ticket
    Rice would have problems winning the nomination and then turning out the Base, as she is pro choice. Also, it's worth noting, this was the subject of a Morris book, and if she ran we would have to deal with him being on the TV all the time.





    Why no Scott Walker?

  8. #58
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    buyer's remorse. good one
    did you hear the joke. mitt romney
    you will never hear him described as a man of the people. he is much too aloof. a mile wide and an inch deep
    bet you cannot still tell us what mitt stood for
    Yeah. When looking at a CDC that can't figure out Ebola, top VA officials who apparently are unaware of the same waits that their president ran against as a President, a foreign policy that even the administrations' former officials agree is stupid, piecemeal, and reactive, all overseen by a President who apparently learns about all these things on the news, who would ever think that competence would be something that we would want in a Candidate.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    felt he was too libertarian there and more of an isolationist.
    Ron Paul opposes free trade?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  10. #60
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    Lots of good candidates in 2016

    Jeb Bush
    Rand Paul
    Mitt Romney
    Paul Ryan
    Ted Cruz
    Ben Carson
    Scott Brown


    At this point i am leaning Paul or Carson

    I like the idea of a president that has done something other than politics. I also share many of the same positions of paul and carson. Not all, but i dont miss the forest for the trees. I would support any of the above candidates tho if they won the primary.

    What say you


    The only way that anyone on that list will ever see the inside of the White House is as a guest. The next president will be a Democrat. Wait and see.

    I wouldn't even think about voting for any of those people.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •