Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 202

Thread: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

  1. #181
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    In other words, you are fine with whatever the politicians want to spend on defense so long as it is more than it is today. Your argument is vague, so vague that you can include or exclude any threat to be accounted for.
    Given what the testimony of past Defense Secretaries, Joint Chiefs members, etc., I'm confident that currently budgeted resources are inadequate for the tasks being given to the military. How the spending would be allocated is as important as how much funding is provided. Given the vital importance of free shipping passage through the Persian Gulf and increasingly disputed parts of the Pacific, a policy path that results in the Navy having its fewest ships in more than a century probably doesn't make much sense. Technology can allow for fewer ships than in the recent past, but technology is not a complete substitute for such vessels. In general, when one is evaluating the security environment, the focus of a National Security Strategy (not to mention foreign policy) needs to place priority on the large events. The shifting balance of power in East Asia is a seminal evolution with profound implications. All geopolitical or security trends are not equal.

  2. #182
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,104

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Why don't you give us a list of so-called partisan bills? Again, Sen. Harry Reid and several Democrats in the Senate do not care if the Bill is bipartisan or not. The way Obamacare was passed clearly shows that.
    You are the one trying to make a point... and you are failing miserably at it.

    BTW... there are 50 Senate bills that haven't been taken up by the house, most notably the Immigration bill. It's pretty hard to cry foul when you are guilty of the same.

    Back to the main point, the idea that Harry Reid is solely to blame for Washington not working may play well with the uninformed, but it is substantially silliness. Most of what has been passed in the House and not considered by the Senate is either buried in committee or not worthy of consideration. When challenged, you have been unable to defend this point, so either step up or stand down.

    Rep. Lynn Jenkins blames Harry Reid for 'do-nothing Senate' | PolitiFact

  3. #183
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,104

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There are few that meet YOUR bi-partisan standard. Understand there is no universally accepted standard for "bipartisan" and thus part of the issue with continual reliance on that word.

    I understand your standard, I don't think it's a horrible standard, but please stop acting like your standard is anything other than your opinion on the matter and that others comments should be based on your opinion.
    My "bi-partisan" standard is a pretty low bar.... 30 dem votes out of 200 democrats... that is a 15% threshold. I doubt too many people would really consider that bi-partisan, yet, by your own admission that are very few that fit this distinction.

    Back to my point, that even in double team, you seem to be unable to overcome, the reason bills are not being taken up by the Senate is because they aren't serious bills.... they are partisan bills that are designed only to register a vote. You can't blame the Senate any more than you can blame the House (which is also sitting on bills, including a very serious bill for Immigration Reform... which I dare say there is nothing remotely equivalent in significance and seriousness before the Senate) for not acting on legislation. Harry Reid is not the problem.

    Rep. Lynn Jenkins blames Harry Reid for 'do-nothing Senate' | PolitiFact

  4. #184
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,973

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    My "bi-partisan" standard is a pretty low bar.... 30 dem votes out of 200 democrats... that is a 15% threshold.
    That's not your only threshold. 15% opposition party for it, 8.5% of the majority party against it.

    You are the first person I've ever seen suggest that a certain percentage of the majority party must be against a bill for it to be called "bi-partisan". I would hardly call that "standard".

    I'll also note it's a stricter standard than Fact Check used, along with multiple news sources, when describing a 2013 gun control bill as "Bi-Partisan" despite having only 9% of the Republican senates support.

    Back to my point, that even in double team, you seem to be unable to overcome, the reason bills are not being taken up by the Senate is because they aren't serious bills
    Well considering I've never tried to deny that point in this thread I'm not sure why you're lumping me into it. My issue is not with your assertion that the Senate is not taking up "serious bills". My issue was with the ridiculous propping up of Factcheck as some kind of objective absolute unquestionable authority on the matter and your continual attempt to present your opinion as some kind of definitive standard.

    My issue is a general one with people who mindlessly and ignorantly see that things are called "fact checkers" and blindly believe that the entities are actually putting for objective, unbiased, definitive statements rather and thus present the information found within them as some kind of holy gospel that is unquestionable proof and hard truth when in reality they are routinely filled with subjective reasoning, unequally applied assumptions, and individual author bias.

    FactCheck, Politifact, TheFactChecker...these are all good tools to use to butress an opinion; they are not absolute authorities or objectively true reporting that can be pointed to as singular truth proving an assertion.

  5. #185
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    Whats it to you? Are you a troll or do you intend on voting in a republican primary.

    Anyone the libs say "guarantees a win for dems". Is probably a good candidate
    Since NP joined and since he was on Whistlestopper (back in 2004), any time he makes a prediction, the opposite comes true. It's uncanny how over 10 years of predictions on forums, the opposite of what he claims always comes true.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #186
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    None of them are good, but I guess Rand Paul. I don't think he would ever actually be elected president, and he is far from perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    Lots of good candidates in 2016

    Jeb Bush
    Rand Paul
    Mitt Romney
    Paul Ryan
    Ted Cruz
    Ben Carson
    Scott Brown


    At this point i am leaning Paul or Carson

    I like the idea of a president that has done something other than politics. I also share many of the same positions of paul and carson. Not all, but i dont miss the forest for the trees. I would support any of the above candidates tho if they won the primary.

    What say you

  7. #187
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I like Jon Huntsman a lot and actually made a contribution to his campaign back in 2012, but he is not nearly crazy enough to make it through today's Republican Primary process. Ben Carson would be a good one to nominate if the Republicans want to lose over 40 states. The same with Cruz. I like Chris Christie a lot but he needs to lose a lot more weight if he wants to run.
    This post is hilarious, but I don't think you intended it to be. You really think Christie can't get elected if he is overweight? Why is that? I don't think he can get elected because of all the scandals in New Jersey and his behavior during Mitt's run for the white house.

  8. #188
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    I don't trust Mike because he looks like one of those alien kids on the movie The Village.

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    Indiana governor Mike Pence or
    Ohio governor Kasich sp

    Needs to be a governor
    To me senators don't have enough experience running things.

  9. #189
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    This post is hilarious, but I don't think you intended it to be. You really think Christie can't get elected if he is overweight? Why is that? I don't think he can get elected because of all the scandals in New Jersey and his behavior during Mitt's run for the white house.
    Being overweight would not keep you from being elected, but being morbidly obese would. The presidency is a hard job. It ages even healthy people a lot. Look Bush the guy is a health nut, eats well, exercises strenuously, and it still aged him a lot. How many guys do you know of that are Christies size that live to even 60?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #190
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Being overweight would not keep you from being elected, but being morbidly obese would. The presidency is a hard job. It ages even healthy people a lot. Look Bush the guy is a health nut, eats well, exercises strenuously, and it still aged him a lot. How many guys do you know of that are Christies size that live to even 60?
    That's a good point, though Christie always claims he is healthy and has normal cholesterol and blood pressure. Who knows if it is true. It's actually hard to believe.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •