Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 202

Thread: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

  1. #161
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,125

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Many of the Bills do have bipartisan support. However the Senate does not care about bipartisan support. It proved that with the passage of Obamacare.
    Give us a list of bills with real bi-partisan support and you will have made your point. If you can't, then the point remains that the Senate is not taking up the bills because they are not serious bills. I agree there are a few that meet the a bi-partisan standard, but they are very few.

  2. #162
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Give us a list of bills with real bi-partisan support and you will have made your point. If you can't, then the point remains that the Senate is not taking up the bills because they are not serious bills. I agree there are a few that meet the a bi-partisan standard, but they are very few.
    Why don't you give us a list of so-called partisan bills? Again, Sen. Harry Reid and several Democrats in the Senate do not care if the Bill is bipartisan or not. The way Obamacare was passed clearly shows that.

  3. #163
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I agree there are a few that meet the a bi-partisan standard, but they are very few.
    There are few that meet YOUR bi-partisan standard. Understand there is no universally accepted standard for "bipartisan" and thus part of the issue with continual reliance on that word.

    I understand your standard, I don't think it's a horrible standard, but please stop acting like your standard is anything other than your opinion on the matter and that others comments should be based on your opinion.

  4. #164
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But the fact is some were bipartisan--even your link challenging the post admitted that. And is it considered by partisan by your side if five or so Republicans vote for something? What is bipartisan can be somewhat subjective. And the fact remains that there are many MANY bills that the House has passed that the Senate has yet to even debate. We don't know how many are actually considered. And it doesn't matter that some are in committee. Nothing gets out of committee until Harry Reid gives his okay.

    When you are writing something to make a point, it sometimes takes half a page or more to mention all the extenuating circumstances or anomalies or other factors that go into any complex subject. So we can choose to deflect from the point made by nitpicking every single point of accuracy, or we can choose to see the point made and acknowledge it even if we mention that there are also some extenuating circumstances.
    the point made in post 148 and the referenced cite appears to be one that is ignored:

    almost all of those hundreds of bills are anything but bi-partisan efforts
    without some modicum of bipartisan support - in this instance from the democrats - then there is no point to elevate those bills for a vote before a senate body having a democratic majority

    but kudos to the GOP for trying to make something out of nothing. without knowing this background, it would appear reid was stalling those bills without good reason. that is an excellent propaganda message prior to a national election
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #165
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,550
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the point made in post 148 and the referenced cite appears to be one that is ignored:

    almost all of those hundreds of bills are anything but bi-partisan efforts
    without some modicum of bipartisan support - in this instance from the democrats - then there is no point to elevate those bills for a vote before a senate body having a democratic majority

    but kudos to the GOP for trying to make something out of nothing. without knowing this background, it would appear reid was stalling those bills without good reason. that is an excellent propaganda message prior to a national election
    So the House is darned if they do and darned if they don't? Aren't anti-Republican folks fond of accusing the Republicans of being obstructionist and do nothing? So how easy is it to say that those bills weren't bipartisan (when in fact some of them were) and justify Harry Reid sitting on them and not allowing them to be debated and voted on? You see this blind fanatical partisanship stuff can easily cut both ways. The House did its job. The Senate has not done theirs.

    All the more reason to vote in a Republican majority in the Senate in a couple of weeks . At least we'll have the debate and a vote on legislation that should move forward.
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 10-22-14 at 04:29 AM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #166
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,903

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    So the House is darned if they do and darned if they don't? Aren't anti-Republican folks fond of accusing the Republicans of being obstructionist and do nothing? So how easy is it to say that those bills weren't bipartisan (when in fact some of them were) and justify Harry Reid sitting on them and not allowing them to be debated and voted on? You see this blind fanatical partisanship can easily cut both ways. The House did its job. The Senate has not done theirs.
    Are you familiar with the concept of poison pill legislation?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #167
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    I thought of voting in the repub primary, just to do my part to keep the crazies out of office. Then i realized the ones on your list are almost all crazy...

    Rand Paul is the only one even considering support of equal rights, so perhaps he'll get my vote

  8. #168
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Paul Ryan all the way!!!

  9. #169
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    One doesn't need a 50% tax hike to adopt a defense budget that is consistent with the security environment that confronts the nation. Smarter and more realistic budget allocations, in other words allocations more in line with national priorities (domestic and foreign policy), along with improved efficiency could probably go a long way toward financing sustainable and adequate defense expenditures.
    In other words, you are fine with whatever the politicians want to spend on defense so long as it is more than it is today. Your argument is vague, so vague that you can include or exclude any threat to be accounted for.

  10. #170
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Who would you vote for in a republican primary?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I thought of voting in the repub primary, just to do my part to keep the crazies out of office. Then i realized the ones on your list are almost all crazy...

    Rand Paul is the only one even considering support of equal rights, so perhaps he'll get my vote
    If you believe everyone on the op is "crazy". Perhaps you are not a republican and shouldnt comment in who you would vote for in a republican primary

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •