View Poll Results: Economic Disparity = Education Inequality?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 83.33%
  • No

    8 16.67%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 150

Thread: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    05-17-18 @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,560

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    What about the people who work hard and make good decisions but lose everything to a random act of chance?
    Then life sucks, nobody ever said that life was fair, but what percentage of people are those? Just picking one or two examples out of millions who do not work hard and do not make good decisions and who can't point to a single life-changing moment really means nothing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! SpkOut me!

  2. #22
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    [QUOTE=Cephus;1063861210]True, but people who don't even put on their uniform have no chahance of successnce whatsoever and that's the reason a lot of poor people are poor generation after generation.
    They don't even try.[
    /QUOTE]



    Obviously those who don't even try have zero chance of success.

  3. #23
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    What about the people who work hard and make good decisions but lose everything to a random act of chance?


    Life is a bitch and then you die.

  4. #24
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,645

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    What about the people who work hard and make good decisions but lose everything to a random act of chance?
    not sure i understand what you are referring to, here

    many risks can be insured against. and if they failed to exercise such insured coverage, where their decisions, to opt out of insurance, good ones

    i will assume you are addressing those rare instances when unavoidable, unpredictable calamity happens ... and to that i would submit it happens to rich and poor alike
    Last edited by justabubba; 10-13-14 at 03:14 PM.
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it[
    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    This is the problem with modern conservatives, they're all rights and no responsibilities. You're responsible for your actions, and for the consequences of your actions, regardless of intent.

  5. #25
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    05-18-18 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,458

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There aren't just two points on a line, it's a continuum. We can't talk about people around the world, we can only talk about people in countries where we have the schools, open and available for people to go to. People have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead. My parents weren't wealthy by any means but they worked their asses off to get me into good schools and pushed me to succeed. I worked my ass off and got good grades and did more than was expected. When I could work, I worked multiple jobs to make money to pay for my own college. I didn't get a single loan and my parents didn't pay a penny of it. I did it on my own because education was important to me. I am doing far better than my parents ever did in life and my kids will be doing better than my wife and I are.

    Nobody said life was easy. Getting ahead means hard work and making good decisions. People who do, succeed. People who don't, fail.
    I think you're confusing a 'good' work ethic, with insurmountable challenges. For every 'land of opportunity' story like yours, there will be countless thousands, who had the very same, 'work ethic', but not the outcome. I'm not taking anything away from your lineage and achievements 'in the land of the free' but I would suggest its less than typical, in reality. Moreover, the 'good' schools and colleges are surely (I'm not going to suggest I'm an expert on the American education system) are beyond the reach of a certain portion of society. Some areas are so destitute, so impoverished, so crime ridden, that only miracles that happen in the movies--are the only way out. Income inequality really does have a massive baring on educational inequality, fact.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  6. #26
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,645

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I think you're confusing a 'good' work ethic, with insurmountable challenges. For every 'land of opportunity' story like yours, there will be countless thousands, who had the very same, 'work ethic', but not the outcome. I'm not taking anything away from your lineage and achievements 'in the land of the free' but I would suggest its less than typical, in reality. Moreover, the 'good' schools and colleges are surely (I'm not going to suggest I'm an expert on the American education system) are beyond the reach of a certain portion of society. Some areas are so destitute, so impoverished, so crime ridden, that only miracles that happen in the movies--are the only way out. Income inequality really does have a massive baring on educational inequality, fact.

    Paul
    actually, one of the more wonderful things about growing up in America is that one does not have to be affluent to receive an excellent education
    kids raised in poverty can and do receive good educations in public schools
    and by their efforts receive scholarships to attend public and private universities
    and those who do not achieve academically at that level, there are loans which are available to them to attend those same institutions of higher learning
    and to those who achieve even less academically, they have the opportunity to attend tech schools, again with costs borne by the state and thru government provided loans
    all the student in the USA must do is achieve adequately enough in high school to be found academically eligible to attend one of those places of higher learning. the money is there for them to attend if they can meet the academic requirements

    and despite that, many do not. the vast proportion of those who do not come from impoverished conditions. where education is not instilled as the path to economic success. because the parents are too stupid themselves to convey that reality to their kids

    there are things that government does wrong, such as gerrymandering the attendance areas so that the affluent kids go to the good schools and the poor kids are forced to attend the weak schools. school administrations that do not know to let the teachers teach. but there is no valid excuse for a kid who knows they need to and who also wants to go to college not to do so. first, they must be able to dream it. but if they do, and they work towards that dream, they can get a good education
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it[
    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    This is the problem with modern conservatives, they're all rights and no responsibilities. You're responsible for your actions, and for the consequences of your actions, regardless of intent.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,238

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I disagree on a lot of this.

    1. Money does not dictate how a family may feel about the value of education. There are countless people living in poverty who understand the value of education and want nothing more than to be able to provide that education for their children and themselves. They may not have the money to ensure their kids can get the education needed to succeed, that doesn't mean they don't understand the value.

    2. Money does not equal intelligence. And lack of money does not equal lack of intelligence.

    Quite simply money = opportunity. Not just in education but in influence, opportunity, and chances.
    If you were around education you might see things differently. It is pretty commonly accepted amongst educators... what I said. It is backed up with millions of students as evidence as well. Even the few poor families that value education are not always intelligent enough to take advantage of it. I have some highly motivated parents that want their kids to succeed and their kids are just not that bright, and neither are the parents. That was an unspoken aspect of my argument that I thought would be already understood.

    Opportunity is there for anybody that wants it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  8. #28
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,238

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    This is complete ignorance on your part. You clearly have no grasp on reality.

    In order to get a quality education you need money. In order to make money you need a quality education. There are rare exceptions but largely that holds true. This becomes more and more true with each generation. There are millions trapped in poverty who go to work every day, they work hard, they are intelligent, but they are not given a chance to move up beyond a certain point because they lack the education. The education that they are intelligent enough to get, the education that they have the work ethic to achieve, but they cant obtain because their parents were poor. And since they cant move up beyond a certain point their kids are stuck in the same cycle.
    That is completely untrue, except for obvious exceptions here and there. I have taught at high end private schools as well as gang infested inner city schools, and in two separate countries.

    At poor schools there were smart kids that did well despite challenges but the majority were either not interested in education AT ALL or were not smart enough to attempt an education.

    At the rich school there were dumb kids that did not do well despite their parents money and there were kids that will skate by not caring just because their parents will get them in to better colleges, etc. later.

    Your idea that poor people stay poor because they dont show up to work on time or dont work hard is rediculous. Just because you can state ****ty stereotypes from inside your little box doesn't make that garbage true. Most positions that pay well enough to escape poverty require degrees.
    In education, these stereotypes are stereotypes because they are generally correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  9. #29
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Success breeds success. Ever seen the stats on the habits of wealthy parents. They spend more time reading, less time watching television. They eat as a family instead of tv dinner style, the differences between rich and poor families are stark

  10. #30
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    05-17-18 @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,565

    Re: Kids from rich families are more likely to succeed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That is completely untrue, except for obvious exceptions here and there. I have taught at high end private schools as well as gang infested inner city schools, and in two separate countries.

    At poor schools there were smart kids that did well despite challenges but the majority were either not interested in education AT ALL or were not smart enough to attempt an education.

    At the rich school there were dumb kids that did not do well despite their parents money and there were kids that will skate by not caring just because their parents will get them in to better colleges, etc. later.



    In education, these stereotypes are stereotypes because they are generally correct.
    If it is your opinion that if someone is poor it is because they are lazy and unintelligent, and if you are a teacher of some sort, I seriously feel bad for the kids at your school. You should not be allowed to teach.
    I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.


Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •