View Poll Results: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 20.00%
  • No

    59 78.67%
  • Not sure

    1 1.33%
Page 99 of 136 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 1352

Thread: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

  1. #981
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,671

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The numbers that show people with guns are more likely to shoot themselves, for example, is verifiable. The study showing that guns prevent crime is based on opinion of gun owners. Two specific examples.
    its hard to shoot yourself with out a gun-that's a moronic tautology that has no relevance. the fact remains that there are millions upon millions of gun owners and more than 99.9% don't shoot themselves and thus that claim is moronic and does not counter all the benefits gun owners derive from firearms

    and of course it ignores the obvious-what would banning guns do to prevent that-almost nothing

    so your argument is completely worthless



  2. #982
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    its hard to shoot yourself with out a gun-that's a moronic tautology that has no relevance. the fact remains that there are millions upon millions of gun owners and more than 99.9% don't shoot themselves and thus that claim is moronic and does not counter all the benefits gun owners derive from firearms

    and of course it ignores the obvious-what would banning guns do to prevent that-almost nothing

    so your argument is completely worthless
    No, it shows what we actually do with the tool. We shoot ourselves more than anyone else. It's not enough to ban guns, but it is a valid study and does tell us something.

    And yes, it would do someting. It would reduce accidental shootings and make death less likely. Not end it, but reduce it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #983
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,671

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, it shows what we actually do with the tool. We shoot ourselves more than anyone else. It's not enough to ban guns, but it is a valid study and does tell us something.

    And yes, it would do someting. It would reduce accidental shootings and make death less likely. Not end it, but reduce it.
    you are making stupid comments again

    gun ownership and the number of guns in circulation have gone way up and accidental shootings are decreasing

    and posting a fact-does nothing unless it supports a proposal or a conclusion

    so what is your "conclusion"



  4. #984
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's bald faced dishonesty. there is no plain or obvious desire for federal gun control expressed there

    I want you to

    1) post the language

    2) show us which words delegate that power to the federal government
    Sure Turtle. Its the same evidence from the Constitution that I have reproduced time after time after time in thread after thread after thread when you ask for the same thing over and over and over.

    Article I, Section 8, clauses 1, 3, 14, 15, and 16. And of course 18 applies then to all of them.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #985
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are making stupid comments again

    gun ownership and the number of guns in circulation have gone way up and accidental shootings are decreasing

    and posting a fact-does nothing unless it supports a proposal or a conclusion

    so what is your "conclusion"
    Which means very little. And I like the laws where they are. But that doesn't mean I support mind reading as an argument.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #986
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,671

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Sure Turtle. Its the same evidence from the Constitution that I have reproduced time after time after time in thread after thread after thread when you ask for the same thing over and over and over.

    Article I, Section 8, clauses 1, 3, 14, 15, and 16. And of course 18 applies then to all of them.
    more evasive nonsense

    post the actual words and show us where that power was delegated

    not even the most venal and dishonest gun banners have ever tried to use most of those clauses

    using your standards as to the 2A-since NONE OF THOSE CLAUSES EVEN HINT at gun control as a federal power-your argument is worthless



  7. #987
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are making stupid comments again

    gun ownership and the number of guns in circulation have gone way up and accidental shootings are decreasing

    and posting a fact-does nothing unless it supports a proposal or a conclusion

    so what is your "conclusion"
    But the percentage of American who own a gun or live in a household with a gun is way down from previous years.

    A minority of Americans own guns, but just how many is unclear | Pew Research Center

    A Pew Research Center survey conducted in February found that 37% of households had an adult who owned a gun — 24% said they owned a gun, and 13% said someone else in their household did.
    The Pew Research and GSS surveys both have found declining gun-ownership rates over time. In 1973, for example, when the GSS first asked about gun ownership, 49% reported having a gun or revolver in their home or garage.
    Yes - there are more guns but the percentage of people with them has gone way down.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #988
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Sure Turtle. Its the same evidence from the Constitution that I have reproduced time after time after time in thread after thread after thread when you ask for the same thing over and over and over.

    Article I, Section 8, clauses 1, 3, 14, 15, and 16. And of course 18 applies then to all of them.

    false...

    James Madison--The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.

  9. #989
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,671

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    But the percentage of American who own a gun or live in a household with a gun is way down from previous years.

    A minority of Americans own guns, but just how many is unclear | Pew Research Center
    that poll is a joke and the reason why it is a joke is that many many gun owners refuse to admit to pollsters that they own guns

    Polls are only accurate if those responding to them are telling the truth

    Mythbusting: Gun Ownership Is On the Decline in the U.S. - The Truth About Guns

    On the other hand, the number of NRA instructors certified to teach the basic NRA classes has increased by nearly 66% over the past five years. Experienced gun owners adding to their collections generally don’t drive demand for introductory courses. New gun owners do


    oh BTW Haymarket-I belong to three gun clubs and frequent two others. ALL have had increases in membership-two now have 40 month waiting periods. That was not the case 10 or 20 years ago.

    now if its all about the same gun owners buying more guns, that wouldn't happen



  10. #990
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that poll is a joke and the reason why it is a joke is that many many gun owners refuse to admit to pollsters that they own guns

    Polls are only accurate if those responding to them are telling the truth

    Mythbusting: Gun Ownership Is On the Decline in the U.S. - The Truth About Guns

    On the other hand, the number of NRA instructors certified to teach the basic NRA classes has increased by nearly 66% over the past five years. Experienced gun owners adding to their collections generally don’t drive demand for introductory courses. New gun owners do


    oh BTW Haymarket-I belong to three gun clubs and frequent two others. ALL have had increases in membership-two now have 40 month waiting periods. That was not the case 10 or 20 years ago.

    now if its all about the same gun owners buying more guns, that wouldn't happen
    Yet you used one to say guns stopped crime?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •