View Poll Results: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 20.00%
  • No

    59 78.67%
  • Not sure

    1 1.33%
Page 83 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1352

Thread: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

  1. #821
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Glad you admit you only cite "experts" when they support your position.
    I cited the experts that were cited by Supreme Court Chief Justice Scalia in Heller.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #822
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I cited the experts that were cited by Supreme Court Chief Justice Scalia in Heller.
    Yes, experts that you believe support your position. Yet when confronted with an expert that doesn't support your position, you dismiss them out of hand. Why am I not surprised?

  3. #823
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yes, experts that you believe support your position. Yet when confronted with an expert that doesn't support your position, you dismiss them out of hand. Why am I not surprised?
    Actually they were experts Scalia cited that he believed supported his position.

    I have no doubt that a guy down the street at the bar may have an opinion also. So what? I tried to play this straight and give you the very opinion of the linguists that Scalia himself cited since it was that opinion which he says helped frame his ruling.

    Do you understand that?

    When we talk about what framed Scalias opinion - my opinion does not count for anything. Your opinion does not count for anything. Some so called expert does not count for anything if they were not cited in Heller.

    What is there about that distinction which befuddles you so?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #824
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I cited the experts that were cited by Supreme Court Chief Justice Scalia in Heller.
    Does Roberts know Scalia has replaced him? Poor guy. I bet he doesn't. It'll be a shock.

  5. #825
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Does Roberts know Scalia has replaced him? Poor guy. I bet he doesn't. It'll be a shock.
    Thank for pointing that out. I should have said Scalia was the writer of the majority opinion. As you pointed out - Roberts is Chief Justice.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #826
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,709

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    yup - its your strawman - it has never been my argument. Its all yours.
    rejected as being contrary to reality

    and a clear misunderstanding of what "straw man" means.

    I have said for years-before Heller, that government entities should be estopped from denying citizens within their jurisdictions, access to the same arms supplied to CIVILIAN (as opposed to offensive military units) employees. After Heller came out, this furthered strengthened my argument due to common use issue. You started pretending that civilian cops are not civilians in a losing effort to try to counter that argument.



  7. #827
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,709

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I cited the experts that were cited by Supreme Court Chief Justice Scalia in Heller.




  8. #828
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Actually they were experts Scalia cited that he believed supported his position.

    I have no doubt that a guy down the street at the bar may have an opinion also. So what? I tried to play this straight and give you the very opinion of the linguists that Scalia himself cited since it was that opinion which he says helped frame his ruling.

    Do you understand that?

    When we talk about what framed Scalias opinion - my opinion does not count for anything. Your opinion does not count for anything. Some so called expert does not count for anything if they were not cited in Heller.

    What is there about that distinction which befuddles you so?
    Nice try, but you aren't fooling anyone. Your lame attempts at dodging, and obfuscation are really quite comical.

  9. #829
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    rejected as being contrary to reality

    and a clear misunderstanding of what "straw man" means.
    No - its your argument and a fallacious one at that since none of the authoritative dictionaries I have presented use your false standard. STRAWMAN - and your own STRAWMAN no less, is a perfect and extremely appropriate description of your argument.

    But Turtle - go ahead and prove me wrong and reproduce right here when I said that cops are not civilians because that is how they refer to each other as opposed to the public. Go ahead. Present it to showit is my argument and not your own.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #830
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,709

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No - its your argument and a fallacious one at that since none of the authoritative dictionaries I have presented use your false standard. STRAWMAN - and your own STRAWMAN no less, is a perfect and extremely appropriate description of your argument.

    But Turtle - go ahead and prove me wrong and reproduce right here when I said that cops are not civilians because that is how they refer to each other as opposed to the public. Go ahead. Present it to showit is my argument and not your own.
    you make many assumptions that fail to be supported. since when is MW authoritative in legal environments. You never present any evidence supporting where that definition came from. I did

    cops are civilians unless they are members of the military. give it up, this is a case where refusing to concede the obvious due scholastic debate scoring matrixes only makes the rest of your silly argument look even worse



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •