View Poll Results: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 20.00%
  • No

    59 78.67%
  • Not sure

    1 1.33%
Page 35 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 1352

Thread: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

  1. #341
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Right, so with windows lined up all along both sides of the plane inches apart, I think it a high probability that in a gun fight between terrorists and an air Marshall/Marshall's that a window gets blown out. Even if the passenger next to that window has a seat belt on the plane depressurizes in seconds. No, I prefer adequate screening that denies the possibility whatsoever that anybody boards a plane with a firearm, including the air Marshall's.

    I disagree. I know what sort of training Air Marshals and Flight Deck officers go through. people who service airlines are not millionaires and can be bribed.



  2. #342
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    well even if the mindless gun haters were to say remove the 2A, they would still have to add an amendment that allows the federal government the proper power to regulate small arms
    That's how the process works. A bit risky for both sides, but might settle the issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #343
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You have often accused me of that Turtle but it is your own strawman of your own making. Each time you trot it out of the barn I repeatedly tell you that the use of the modernist term INFRINGEMENTS is intellectually dishonest in the extreme because the term IS NOT used in the Amendment. As such, twisting and perverting it merely shows evidence that your statement is not to be taken seriously by anyone other than those already in that committed corner with the gun lobby.
    That's a really interesting perversion of the English language you got going on there ... the amendment says the action (infringing) shall not occur, whereas 'infringement' is a quantization of the acts of infringing ... and you propose this doesn't apply to the discussion?

    Can I assume English is your second language, and you're not familiar with the context of the words?
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  4. #344
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's how the process works. A bit risky for both sides, but might settle the issue.
    the way the courts are going, and the way the vast majority of the academics have gone, it might not need any change in the wording. its pretty tough to pretend men who universally accepted the "reality" of natural rights would author something other than the 2A as people like me see it



  5. #345
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    That's a really interesting perversion of the English language you got going on there ... the amendment says the action (infringing) shall not occur, whereas 'infringement' is a quantization of the acts of infringing ... and you propose this doesn't apply to the discussion?

    Can I assume English is your second language, and you're not familiar with the context of the words?
    Its akin to claiming "thou shall not steal" was not a prohibition on "Stealing"



  6. #346
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You have often accused me of that Turtle but it is your own strawman of your own making. Each time you trot it out of the barn I repeatedly tell you that the use of the modernist term INFRINGEMENTS is intellectually dishonest in the extreme because the term IS NOT used in the Amendment. As such, twisting and perverting it merely shows evidence that your statement is not to be taken seriously by anyone other than those already in that committed corner with the gun lobby.
    What exactly are you arguing?

  7. #347
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    What exactly are you arguing?
    "Shall not be infringed" was not intended to prevent "infringements"



  8. #348
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    "Shall not be infringed" was not intended to prevent "infringements"
    What was it intended to prevent?

  9. #349
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Do stop with the hyperbole, it damages your pro second amendment position. For tyranny, see The Patriot Act or the NDAA.

    Democrats for Gun Ownership is the only national association that provides support for those Democrats in favor of gun ownership and the defense of the Second Amendment.
    Through campaign support, education, and advocacy DFGO works with Democrats at every level of our party in Congress to protect our rights and maintain a strong lobby base whose voices are clearly heard.

    DfGO is a solid presence in Washington, D.C. supporting the rights of every American to arm him or herself with knowledge about responsible and safe firearms ownership. Send us an email with the name of your Congressperson and we'll drop by and say hello on your behalf. Help us make our Congress member aware that we're as engaged in policy matters as they should be.


    The Senate gun control compromise failed, but that hasn’t stopped individual states from pursuing their own solutions. Connecticut, Colorado, New York and Maryland have passed new gun control laws, and joining them soon is New Jersey, where Governor Chris Christie has announced his support for a proposal to expand background checks for gun purchases, to require parental consent for minors to buy violent video games, to ban purchases of particular rifles, and to make it easier for courts and individuals to commit “potentially dangerous” people to mental health treatment against their will.

    IOW, this shouldn't necessarily be framed in partisan terms.
    It's not hyperbole to point out the truth.

  10. #350
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    What was it intended to prevent?
    well his argument (at least at one time) was as along as you own one gun, your ability to ENJOY your 2A rights is intact. I also believe he claimed that until you could not "exercise" the right (i.e. if you could own NO weapons) there was no infringement. I took his argument to mean that the government could basically ban everything up to a complete and total ban and not violate the 2A

    I found the entire argument without merit



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •