View Poll Results: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 20.00%
  • No

    59 78.67%
  • Not sure

    1 1.33%
Page 23 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1352

Thread: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Please
    Oh, my bad.

    Ahem..

    Please post your links to who is killing people with .50cal machine guns.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,928

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    That had to do with mass shootings.
    And how would they be prevented in those places?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,928

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yet you seem to be concerned about one group of strangers and not about another group of strangers. Why is that?
    I've already explained that. You ignored it. Perhaps you can review and try again.

    For one distinction, all strangers are not created equally. I bet there is a personal example in your own life: your cell phone provider has your SSN, but you wouldnt give it to the guy you chat with while pumping gas. Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,928

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I disagree. It merely uses the government tyranny example. The inherent right to keep and bear arms is affirmed in no uncertain terms, and without restriction.

    I found a great article yesterday about the wording of the 2nd Amendment. An expert in the English language analyzed the wording and explained it in great detail. I have it bookmarked on my iPad, I will post a link later when I get to work.
    I would be happy to read the link. And happy if it were true. Yes, I believe the 2A means without restrictions but like it or not, I still believe that the intent of the amendment was to prevent tyranny. Possibly because owning firearms as part of day to day life was just the 'norm' at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #225
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    No, it isn't. My argument is that better weaponry equals better ability to protect one's self. Regardless of nature.


    Your misrepresentation of my argument shows you either dint understand or must resort to logical fallacy to feel like you are making a point.
    I understand your argument, but you're contradicting yourself.

    You're claiming that with reducing access to guns that human nature still won't be subverted; murder will still occur, with or without (legally available) guns . You'll use your (legal) gun possession as a deterrent, both proactively -- preventing potential criminals from considering violation of your property by fear of you being armed, and retroactively -- physically attacking them with (legal) guns to prevent them from violating your property.

    Fair summary?

    You also appear to be arguing that it's human nature to take any means to protect one's property and that violent acts including murder are also human nature.

    If that's all true, then decreasing legal guns won't stop you from getting one to defend your home, or give the criminal any reason to believe that you're less likely to have one, or be any less prepared to use one. That status quo is seemingly not changed, only access is decreased, and with that, less weapons are available for all parties to continue the war we're having on one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is moronic. why is the murder rate going down while the number of guns in circulation as well as the number of people carrying guns is increasing.

    I think those who would take our guns away are in conspiracy with criminals and should be treated the same
    The gun death rate correlates to the percentage of gun owners if you break it down state by state.


  6. #226
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I would be happy to read the link. And happy if it were true. Yes, I believe the 2A means without restrictions but like it or not, I still believe that the intent of the amendment was to prevent tyranny. Possibly because owning firearms as part of day to day life was just the 'norm' at the time.
    Certainly preventing tyranny is one of the benefits of an unfettered right to keep and bear arms, but the second half of the 2A is crystal clear.

    Here's the article. J. Neil Schulman: The Unabridged Second Amendment

  7. #227
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    I understand your argument, but you're contradicting yourself.

    You're claiming that with reducing access to guns that human nature still won't be subverted; murder will still occur, with or without (legally available) guns . You'll use your (legal) gun possession as a deterrent, both proactively -- preventing potential criminals from considering violation of your property by fear of you being armed, and retroactively -- physically attacking them with (legal) guns to prevent them from violating your property.

    Fair summary?

    You also appear to be arguing that it's human nature to take any means to protect one's property and that violent acts including murder are also human nature.

    If that's all true, then decreasing legal guns won't stop you from getting one to defend your home, or give the criminal any reason to believe that you're less likely to have one, or be any less prepared to use one. That status quo is seemingly not changed, only access is decreased, and with that, less weapons are available for all parties to continue the war we're having on one another.
    Decreasing access for legal owners doesn't do anything. There are 300million guns in this country how do you control them?
    It's okay to be white

  8. #228
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    No, it isn't. My argument is that better weaponry equals better ability to protect one's self. Regardless of nature.


    Your misrepresentation of my argument shows you either dint understand or must resort to logical fallacy to feel like you are making a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is moronic. why is the murder rate going down while the number of guns in circulation as well as the number of people carrying guns is increasing.

    I think those who would take our guns away are in conspiracy with criminals and should be treated the same
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Decreasing access for legal owners doesn't do anything. There are 300million guns in this country how do you control them?
    While I agree it's difficult to address a 300 million piece problem, it's easier than dealing with it in a decade or two when it's 400 million or 500 million piece problem.

  9. #229
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    While I agree it's difficult to address a 300 million piece problem, it's easier than dealing with it in a decade or two when it's 400 million or 500 million piece problem.
    What problem?
    It's okay to be white

  10. #230
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    What problem?


    That problem.

    I'm of the belief that a lot of that has to do with this:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •