View Poll Results: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 20.00%
  • No

    59 78.67%
  • Not sure

    1 1.33%
Page 10 of 136 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1352

Thread: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

  1. #91
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,539

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    I'm in favor of other people not getting shot as well.
    Restricting responsible owners rights won't really do anything.

    Are you against other people being stabbed or strangled? Should we control icepicks, screwdrivers, wooden stakes, and knives? How about piano wire?

    I personally am against reckless homicide, criminally negligent homicide, accidental death, and murder, it doesn't matter if they are shot, stabbed, fall, or die in a car accident.

    Why does it only matter to you if they are shot?
    It's okay to be white

  2. #92
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    01-15-18 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Banning private arms is like banning a porcupine from having quills.
    I know some dogs that would be on board with that.

  3. #93
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you must have some strange perspective that sees white privilege anyplace in this thread.
    The separating out of races strikes me as missing the point of protecting the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    It's a derailment attempt on the thread...
    I actually thought we were getting closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Restricting responsible owners rights won't really do anything.

    Are you against other people being stabbed or strangled? Should we control icepicks, screwdrivers, wooden stakes, and knives? How about piano wire?

    I personally am against reckless homicide, criminally negligent homicide, accidental death, and murder, it doesn't matter if they are shot, stabbed, fall, or die in a car accident.

    Why does it only matter to you if they are shot?
    Ideally we'd stop all murder, but I'm okay with starting with the 900 lb gorilla in the room.

    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    .......
    Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence ( 2013 )


    Sources used in the video:




    Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive
    Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?
    A Review of International and Some Domestic Evidence.
    Din B. Kates* and Gary Mauser**


    The study, which just appeared in Volume 30, Number 2 of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (pp. 649-694), set out to answer the question in its title: "Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? A Review of International and Some Domestic Evidence." Contrary to conventional wisdom, and the sniffs of our more sophisticated and generally anti-gun counterparts across the pond, the answer is "no." And not just no, as in there is no correlation between gun ownership and violent crime, but an emphatic no, showing a negative correlation: as gun ownership increases, murder and suicide decreases.

    The findings of two criminologists - Prof. Don Kates and Prof. Gary Mauser - in their exhaustive study of American and European gun laws and violence rates, are telling:
    Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population)
    .
    EDITORIAL: Guns decrease murder rates
    In Washington, the best defense is self-defense
    By THE WASHINGTON TIMES


    More guns in law-abiding hands mean less crime. The District of Columbia proves the point.

    <snip>
    Few who lived in Washington during the 1970s can forget the upswing in crime that started right after the ban was originally passed. In the five years before the 1977 ban, the murder rate fell from 37 to 27 murders per 100,000. In the five years after the gun ban went into effect, the murder rate rose back up to 35. One fact is particularly hard to ignore: D.C.'s murder rate fluctuated after 1976 but only once fell below what it was in 1976 before the ban. That aberration happened years later, in 1985.

    This correlation between the D.C. gun ban and diminished safety was not a coincidence. Look at the Windy City. Immediately after Chicago banned handguns in 1982, the murder rate, which had been falling almost continually for a decade, started to rise. Chicago's murder rate rose relative to other large cities as well. The phenomenon of higher murder rates after gun bans are passed is not just limited to the United States. Every single time a country has passed a gun ban, its murder rate soared.


    <snip>

  5. #95
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,539

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    The separating out of races strikes me as missing the point of protecting the population.

    I actually thought we were getting closer.


    Ideally we'd stop all murder, but I'm okay with starting with the 900 lb gorilla in the room.

    So you think somebody that knows murder is against the law, wouldn't break the law to get a gun?

    Do you think the only reason people commit murder is because they have a gun?

    I am not really willing to give up my gun to lower a murder rate. I just won't murder anybody with them. Seems like a reasonable solution to me.

    I think it would be prudent to make murder illegal for everybody that legally carries a gun. If making murder illegal doesn't stop murder, how would making the possession of one specific type of weapon capable of being used as a murder weapon stop murder?
    It's okay to be white

  6. #96
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    So you think somebody that knows murder is against the law, wouldn't break the law to get a gun?

    Do you think the only reason people commit murder is because they have a gun?

    I am not really willing to give up my gun to lower a murder rate. I just won't murder anybody with them. Seems like a reasonable solution to me.

    I think it would be prudent to make murder illegal for everybody that legally carries a gun. If making murder illegal doesn't stop murder, how would making the possession of one specific type of weapon capable of being used as a murder weapon stop murder?
    Decreasing access to murder weapons decreases murder. Increasing access to murder weapons increases murder.

    The reason our atomic bomb murder rate didn't make much impact on the chart is because we don't allow access to atomic bombs. The reason our elephant trampling murder rate is so low is that we don't allow access to trained battle elephants. If we didn't allow access to guns...
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  7. #97
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,539

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Decreasing access to murder weapons decreases murder. Increasing access to murder weapons increases murder.
    Explain that logic.

    The reason our atomic bomb murder rate didn't make much impact on the chart is because we don't allow access to atomic bombs. The reason our elephant trampling murder rate is so low is that we don't allow access to trained battle elephants. If we didn't allow access to guns...
    Murder by some other means would increase.

    You are saying restricted access to an object will change human nature. I call bull****.
    It's okay to be white

  8. #98
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Explain that logic.

    Murder by some other means would increase.

    You are saying restricted access to an object will change human nature. I call bull****.
    Human nature won't change, but we can limit its less desirable effects.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  9. #99
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,539

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Human nature won't change, but we can limit its less desirable effects.
    Not by Restricting access to an object.

    You haven't explained how that works yet.
    It's okay to be white

  10. #100
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,199

    Re: Do you think the second amendment needs amended?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Orwontee View Post
    So you celebrate and endorse the profound ignorance of the US population for foundational constitutional principles?



    I'm sure that some have this altruistic "safer society" intention but the reality is, gun control is always a political tool used to achieve and maintain political control (ensuring the security of the government, not the free state). Those who advocate European style gun control because of gun crime are just useful idiots employed by those who wish to reverse engineer European style political control over US citizens (the rejection of which was the point of the Constitution)



    Well, at least you admit the political aspect of the debate . . . If what you say comes to fruition, it won't be the "political 2nd Amendment" that causes the usurpation of the right to arms; it will be the citizens abdicating their duty to hold the government to the constraints placed on it by them, though the Constitution.
    I had hoped for a more interesting and profound reply.

    Hmmm… celebrating the public’s profound ignorance of constitutional principles.. hmmm; nope. I just know that the American public is educated enough to know how the amendment process works. Let’s not forget the flip flop of the 18th and 21st amendments.

    Well I happen to be one of those with altruistic intentions for a safer society. We can have nuts with 100 round magazines, or young kids with mac 10s walking into movie theaters and schools and killing people. Enough is enough. Gun violence in and of itself is going through the roof as well. It reflects a very sick society. Like I said: not just now, but down the road people are going to put the brakes on this nonsense.

    Of course it’s the politics; that’s the other side of the rusty coin. The gun nuts are making hay of the 2nd amendment when none need be made. The gun nuts put their right to carry and .50 cal machine guns over and above the citizen’s right to a peaceful existence with all of the nuts killing people. It’s not a hard thing to understand. It would be nice if the gun nuts did more to help the situation rather than talk about useful idiots: that phrase can be reversed ya’know.
    “The people do not want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

Page 10 of 136 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •