View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as White Privilege?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 55.00%
  • No

    45 45.00%
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 352

Thread: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Maybe it is just me having grown up in Southern California and knowing literally thousands of Mexicans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Latino Americans, black Americans and various European descended white Americans but when I hear the name Chen or Tran or Lopez and such I think of people that speak fluent English, dress and act like me, etc. but just have different skin colors and looks. One of my good friends was a female with the name Chen and she was as American as anybody and when I used to see names on applications I never made assumptions about anything.
    That's because you grew up in a place where you were the minority as a white male. A white male in the midwest or the deep south may not have those perceptions. White privilege tends to be more profound in areas where whites dominate the cultural experience.

    But consider this example of white privilege that is actually institutionalized and nationwide: British literature is still taught, in the majority of schools, as a required English while other ethnic literatures such as African literature, Spanish lit, Asian lit, etc, are only elective if offered at all. The concept of white privilege asserts that the white will be presented more opportunity to engage with his/her history and culture than the nonwhite will. That's one example.

  2. #322
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,748

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    To me, the name 'Derek Murray' equates Scot, not Anglo.
    To me, the name "Derek Murray" could mean a male of any race. Possibly a female if her parents were really cruel.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #323
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Maybe it is just me having grown up in Southern California and knowing literally thousands of Mexicans, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Latino Americans, black Americans and various European descended white Americans but when I hear the name Chen or Tran or Lopez and such I think of people that speak fluent English, dress and act like me, etc. but just have different skin colors and looks. One of my good friends was a female with the name Chen and she was as American as anybody and when I used to see names on applications I never made assumptions about anything.
    Where I grew up gradually became a place like you describe. I'm 60 and the high school I went to had one black student, whom I didn't know, and one East Indian whom I played on the basketball team with. All the rest, 780 or so, were lily-white. My son went to the same school and his two best friends were Vietnamese. He knows his way around a menu in a South Indian restaurant and there's Caribbean accents in parties at his place.
    It's great!
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  4. #324
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    To me, the name "Derek Murray" could mean a male of any race. Possibly a female if her parents were really cruel.
    Could mean, yes, but it's definitely a Scots name.
    Hell, it could be a dog or a disease or a star in the Andromeda galaxy.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Loaded question. You planted a racial idea in my head by indicating that one was black and that changes the nature of the entire experiment.

    If you just put those two names down I would not have thought about race at all, period.
    You're a rare bird that wouldn't, at least privately, assume the name "Tyrone" is black. But I concede the point, I did plant race. By the way, they were twin brothers I knew. Tyrone received a letter in the mail from the university that he and his brother both applied to offering him information on minority based scholarships while Bernard did not.

    While not an example of white privilege (but clearly an example of minority privilege), it is an example of how something as simple as an ethnic sounding name brings assumptions to the table.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Could mean, yes, but it's definitely a Scots name.
    Hell, it could be a dog or a disease or a star in the Andromeda galaxy.
    The name Derek is a shortened form of Deodric which is a German name. The last name Murray could be either German or Scottish, depending on the ancestry of the person in question.

  7. #327
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mays Lives View Post
    If you are going to sit here and try to convince anyone that the names Murray and Chen don't bring with them certain assumptions grounded in the perceived ethnicity of the individuals, there are only two possibilities. A) That you are being argumentative for entertainment (which I get, totally and am guilty of myself quite often) or B) that you are having a hard time rebutting the argument presented but won't allow yourself to just say so (another situation I totally get and have found myself guilty of) so you are just making categorical denials instead of constructed arguments.
    Murray could be a number of races. black, could be white. Its safe to assume they speak english. You say it can only be associated with white people. That is false.

    And you keep ignoring that based on statistics, asians are getting the interviews and doing better than white people. I see why because it paralyzes your argument. So you overlook it and repeat the same rhetoric

  8. #328
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mays Lives View Post
    The name Derek is a shortened form of Deodric which is a German name. The last name Murray could be either German or Scottish, depending on the ancestry of the person in question.
    Now you are assuming said hiring manager is an expert in anthropology.

    And even if what you say is true, we all realize the african american ancestors took the sur name of their white masters. So your argument is again defeated

  9. #329
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Why is it assumed that the one individual will speak English well and the other not, simply based on a name on a resume?
    Its not, there is more likely and more likely not. Are you arguing that a person named derek murray is no more likely to speak english at an acceptable proficiency than someone named thuc chen?

  10. #330
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mays Lives View Post
    Maybe maybe maybe.

    Here's another example, and be honest: If you see the two names Tyrone and Bernard, which do you think is the black one?
    I assume they are both black as i have never met a person named tyrone or bernard that wasnt black.

    How about john, how about charles, leslie, who cares. They could be any ethnicity but you assume they all communicate in english.

    You cannot assume that with names of other nationalties. Its not racist, its business. If you are a hiring manager and for whatever reason you will only select one resume to interview.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •