View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as White Privilege?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 55.00%
  • No

    45 45.00%
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 352

Thread: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

  1. #291
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    And further more, its OBVIOUS that the hiring managers have been interviewing more asians than whites because they as a group are doing better economically. This cannot be disputed, it is a simple fact that the left is ignoring

  2. #292
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Wanna look at drug crime conventions and race? Wanna look at "stop and frisk" statistics?
    Those are independent issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #293
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    let's try some statistics:

    Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %
    Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %

    Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

    Considering the advantage whites have, shockingly close.
    Not sure what younare trying to prove here. Blacks make up 13pct of the populous. Wouldnt your statement indicate they should be 13 pct of benefactors

  4. #294
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    And you are erroneously hung up on the belief that white privilege is real, it isnt.

    What if the business owner is asian?

    Not to mention that unlike what you may desperately want to believe the manager recognizes accomplishments of one candidate over the other. Maybe he interviews derek because he assumes thuc may not speak english as well. I woudnt blame him. If im a busy manager, im trying to make my job as simple as i can.

    To liberals its always gotta be because he is white. Good luck with that
    It's ironic that the more people try and give examples of white privilege not existing the more I'm convinced it's:

    1) present
    2) those claiming it isn't are not particularly objective.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  5. #295
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mays Lives View Post
    With all due respect, I believed this way and I could have been quoted the same thing you said verbatim because I didn't understand what white privilege is. If you'll allow, let me give you an example that may make it clearer for you.

    Thuc Chen comes from a wealthy Vietnamese family who made a fortune bottling and selling a hot sauce recipe they brought to America from their remote village in their native country. She's grown up her entire life in the San Fernando Valley in California and has a business degree from UCLA. She plays tennis, loves shopping and her favorite show is Gossip Girl. She is a SoCal girl through and through.

    Derek Murray has just arrived from a remote village called Swtragh in Northern Ireland. It lies about 120 miles north of the town of Maghera. He has a charming gaelic accent that sometimes makes him hard to understand, especially when he is excited. He has a similar business degree as Thuc's from a prominent university which put him in debt with student loans; his parents were poor and could not afford to pay for his education. He never had television growing up and he isn't much for keeping with current events. He'd rather be out playing football than indoors when he has spare time.

    Joe is a hiring manager at a hip PR firm. He has a position open for an accounts supervisor. The requirements for the position are that candidate holds a business degree, has excellent communication skills, and can interact engagingly with clients in the media industry. Joe receives two resumes: one with the name Thuc Chen at the top and the other headlined Derek Murray.

    Which do you think Joe is going to give immediate attention considering his requirements for the job?
    Loaded example... any hiring manager will look at both resume's with interest and you are assuming bias based off of race/names/etc.

    White privilege is an excuse that people have come up with to find fault at their own failures or shortcomings.

    I took a class on this and lasted about 10 minutes until it was clear that it was an exercise in racism and was getting screamed at by two clack women in the class for not agreeing with the premise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #296
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    It's ironic that the more people try and give examples of white privilege not existing the more I'm convinced it's:

    1) present
    2) those claiming it isn't are not particularly objective.
    White privilege is a nice way of saying institutionalized racism... it is a PC scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #297
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    There is a "rich" privilege and that extends to all races...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #298
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    White privilege is a nice way of saying institutionalized racism... it is a PC scam.
    Again, see my above post you quoted.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    And you are erroneously hung up on the belief that white privilege is real, it isnt.

    What if the business owner is asian?

    Not to mention that unlike what you may desperately want to believe the manager recognizes accomplishments of one candidate over the other. Maybe he interviews derek because he assumes thuc may not speak english as well. I woudnt blame him. If im a busy manager, im trying to make my job as simple as i can.

    To liberals its always gotta be because he is white. Good luck with that
    First off, I'm not a liberal so can it with your assumptions about me. Second, there is no desperation in my explanation but there certainly is a lot of overly excited utterance and unneeded pissiness in your responses. If you can't continue in a civil tone, we won't be continuing at all as your level of education on the topic that you are commenting nor your obvious ignorance on the same are of no consequence to me and I will not waste time trying to engage some keyboard cowboy who finds aggressive posturing to be an acceptable substitute for dialog.

    That said: You explained the concept of white privilege in the post above: Maybe he interviews Derek because he ASSUMES Thuc may not speak English as well. White privilege. The assumption that because someone is white they may have certain skills or social experience that the nonwhite doesn't. It is an assumption of aptitude in specific areas that may or may not be true but is accepted as truth based on the perceived ethnicity of the subject and all the social experience that whites are assumed to have had.

    That is one example of white privilege. And for the record, there is also minority privilege. There is no accusation or judgment behind the term white privilege.

  10. #300
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    You are making a somewhat circular argument

    I say derek may be black, you say yeah but he thought he was white

    I say maybe he doesnt want to take a chance that thuc may not speak english, you say thats white privilege.

    Its not, in that case it is american privilege or english speaking privilege. If her name was brittany chen, there would be no assumption of english speaking ability

    You continue to move the goal post, and as i said, it's clear through data that more thucs are being interviewed than dereks.

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •