View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as White Privilege?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 55.00%
  • No

    45 45.00%
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 352

Thread: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

  1. #271
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    let's try some statistics:

    Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %
    Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %

    Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

    Considering the advantage whites have, shockingly close.
    And you believe in government supplied statistics? How foolish of you.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  2. #272
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    let's try some statistics:

    Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %
    Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %

    Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

    Considering the advantage whites have, shockingly close.
    And if you believe that then where is all the WHITE privilege?
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  3. #273
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Well I going to go watch the Cards beat the Dodgers....I hope.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  4. #274
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Having worked in the poor parts of Washington DC, and receiving deferential treatment far above and beyond what I actually earned, I can tell you without any doubt that white privilege exists. It is ingrained in our society. And it is not merely whites with power using their power to benefit one another and not other peoples. It is the expectation that permeates every interaction between people of different ethnicities in this country. It is the lifetime learning by non-whites that when they don't treat whites with deference, consequences follow, and when one wants favors, one gets them by sucking up to whites, not to others.

    Anecdotes, no matter how true, do not make data, however. If one wants to see the reality of white privilege, one need only understand that a child born to black parents is five times as likely to grow up in poverty as a child born to white parents. Instrumental to denying the very real privileges and oppressions of race in this country is to insist that these black families have brought it upon themselves, as if anyone with the means to change those kinds of circumstances would fail to do so.

    Of course white privilege exists. And racial oppression exists. In often insidious and invisible ways. Overt forms like slavery and Jim Crow are gone, but the attitudes that inform them are often uncomfortably proximate to us.
    Do you make a distinction between race and culture?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  5. #275
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    And you believe in government supplied statistics? How foolish of you.
    I give it more stock than what someone just thinks, or who might be influenced by biases that cloud judgement. And there is nothing foolish about me doing that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #276
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    And if you believe that then where is all the WHITE privilege?
    I'll let others speak for a moment:

    The concept of white privilege – with roots in the 19th century, a resurgence in 1980s feminist scholarship and now making a mainstream splash – doesn’t point fingers at white supremacy or racist acts, but at structural and historical problems in society. White privilege is about the way white people are treated, generally favorably, regardless of what is in their hearts and minds.

    https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-and-criticism

    The Origins of “Privilege” - The New Yorker

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblack...privilege-9hu9

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #277
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    I'm from Los Angeles. Please tell me exactly this place is? I never heard any of my white friends say that they were pulled over because they were white.

    Especially by the LAPD !!!!
    LOL. Yeah, so an LAPD officer is going to tell someone, "I'm stopping you because you are white". The topic of the OP is a question about "white privilege" not about the habits of the LAPD. There are areas in Southern California where being white is not a privilege, but could be a serious problem. Since you claim to be from Los Angeles, you know very well where those areas are.

  8. #278
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    728

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    White privilege is a myth. Asians do better economically and educationally than white people yet you dont hear "asian privilege"

    Its basically black people that made that up and liberals parrot it.

    Yes, if you are black, you are more likely to have a negative encounter with police than any other race.

    Here is the deal. Black people are victims not to white privilege, but to the consequences of a disproportionate amount if black misbehavior.

    There is so much criminal behavior occurring in black areas police naturally become more suspect of black people.

    So two guys are walking down the street, one white, one black. Neither are criminals.

    First off, neither are likely to be harrassed but the black guy is more likely to be than the white guy?

    Why? Is it because cops are racist? Or because 85 pct of the guys the cop arrested were black.

    You ask what came first the chicken or the egg? I dont know,

    But i can tell you as a fed, 90 pct of my suspects end up being black. Mind you i have no clue who these peope are ir anything else about them when i show up to begin my investigation.

    I go where the evidence leads me. And i mostly investigate white collar crime.

    Now the question is how can we reduce crime in the black communities?

    Thats above my paygrade

  9. #279
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,459

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    White privilege is a myth. Asians do better economically and educationally than white people yet you dont hear "asian privilege"

    Its basically black people that made that up and liberals parrot it.

    Yes, if you are black, you are more likely to have a negative encounter with police than any other race.

    Here is the deal. Black people are victims not to white privilege, but to the consequences of a disproportionate amount if black misbehavior.

    There is so much criminal behavior occurring in black areas police naturally become more suspect of black people.

    So two guys are walking down the street, one white, one black. Neither are criminals.

    First off, neither are likely to be harrassed but the black guy is more likely to be than the white guy?

    Why? Is it because cops are racist? Or because 85 pct of the guys the cop arrested were black.

    You ask what came first the chicken or the egg? I dont know,

    But i can tell you as a fed, 90 pct of my suspects end up being black. Mind you i have no clue who these peope are ir anything else about them when i show up to begin my investigation.

    I go where the evidence leads me. And i mostly investigate white collar crime.

    Now the question is how can we reduce crime in the black communities?

    Thats above my paygrade
    Whites have an edge. But, the liberals enabling horrible black behaviour, from encouraging out of wedlock births to excusing that many (most?) of them do not speak proper English or achieve reasonable educational goals, is the main reason the black community is such a mess, IMO. For those who are held to low expectations, poor attainment is achieved. Common sense.

  10. #280
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    White privilege is a myth. Asians do better economically and educationally than white people yet you dont hear "asian privilege"

    Its basically black people that made that up and liberals parrot it.

    Yes, if you are black, you are more likely to have a negative encounter with police than any other race.

    Here is the deal. Black people are victims not to white privilege, but to the consequences of a disproportionate amount if black misbehavior.

    There is so much criminal behavior occurring in black areas police naturally become more suspect of black people.

    So two guys are walking down the street, one white, one black. Neither are criminals.

    First off, neither are likely to be harrassed but the black guy is more likely to be than the white guy?

    Why? Is it because cops are racist? Or because 85 pct of the guys the cop arrested were black.

    You ask what came first the chicken or the egg? I dont know,

    But i can tell you as a fed, 90 pct of my suspects end up being black. Mind you i have no clue who these peope are ir anything else about them when i show up to begin my investigation.

    I go where the evidence leads me. And i mostly investigate white collar crime.

    Now the question is how can we reduce crime in the black communities?

    Thats above my paygrade
    Most Asians in America come from well educated households from east Asia ... it's the middle and upper classes that send their kids to America to study, or come here to work.

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •