View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as White Privilege?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 55.00%
  • No

    45 45.00%
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 352

Thread: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

  1. #241
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    If this was true, the movement would have been larger under GWB. You guys didn't wait after Obama was sworn in before gathering steam. The fact is the GOP establishment members and the Koch Brothers saw opportunity and help fuel the growth.
    That is simply not true. The tea party movement began as a wholly grass roots movement. Even if Obama was an impetus, it certainly wasn't because of his race, it was because of his Marxism. But if it makes you feel better to think that, by all means, perpetuate the lie.

    How can you, with a straight face, criticize the movement for accepting money from rich donors? Are you saying leftist movements don't do the same?

  2. #242
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Targeting groups of your own "race" doesn't absolve you of racism.
    Catholics aren't a "race" so your post was irrelevant.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #243
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Catholics aren't a "race" so your post was irrelevant.
    Catholics were typically not black.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Wanna look at drug crime conventions and race? Wanna look at "stop and frisk" statistics?
    The problem with your argument, same as with others saying the same thing, is that you assume it's totally and absolutely based on race.

  5. #245
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Catholics were typically not black.
    I'm going to drop this because again, what you said isn't relevant to my post. The KKK and Catholics aren't in the same conversation as the Tea Party going after white politicians when the suggestion was made that they only formed because Obama was black, and once he leaves office, they will in essence fade away.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Sure. In general, the ethnic groups that make up the majority in any given society enjoy advantages over minorities. Most who take issue with the idea have a gross misunderstanding of the concept, and/or are simply in denial.
    Strange thing is I've never had anything like affirmative action used to benefit me. What I also find interesting about programs like AA is that they are saying it's OK to consider race if it benefits minorities yet using race to deny them is wrong. Since the common thread either way is race, how can it be OK in one situation and wrong in the other is the characteristic being used hadn't changed?

  7. #247
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That is simply not true. The tea party movement began as a wholly grass roots movement. Even if Obama was an impetus, it certainly wasn't because of his race, it was because of his Marxism. But if it makes you feel better to think that, by all means, perpetuate the lie.

    How can you, with a straight face, criticize the movement for accepting money from rich donors? Are you saying leftist movements don't do the same?
    One only has to look at Harry Reid's PAC to know that the left gets just as much donor money from the "rich" as the right does.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    The thing about White Priviledge is that someone benefits from it so unconsciously that they often ignore it.

    It can be the difference between being stopped but let off with a warning vs being stopped and given a ticket.

    It can be the difference between getting a job and not getting a job.

    It can be the difference between someone not calling the police while you open carry and someone calling the police and lying about your actions while you open carry.

    The fact that minorities get harsher sentences for drug related charges and get convictions at higher rates despite not using drugs at a higher rate is proof that such a phenomenon exists.
    "It can be the difference between getting a job and not getting a job."

    Tell that to the white folks not given a job because a program like Affirmative Action was used race to benefit a lesser qualified minority over a more qualified individual.

  9. #249
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'm going to drop this because again, what you said isn't relevant to my post. The KKK and Catholics aren't in the same conversation as the Tea Party going after white politicians when the suggestion was made that they only formed because Obama was black, and once he leaves office, they will in essence fade away.
    You're apparently new to analogies. It's okay. They're not for everyone.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  10. #250
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Interesting logic (or lack thereof), which we see far too much in these parts

    Rocket told us of a suburb where being black was a crime

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Depends on where you are, but yes. There's a suburb of Buffalo (which I won't name) where "Driving While Black" is almost certainly a crime.
    for which we get a response of:

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    Gosh, I did NOT know that driving while white exempted one from being stopped by the cops. You learn something new every day.
    ...which, appears to be something to the effect of ".... therefore, being white means (its not a crime and thus) exempts you from being stopped..."

    No where in the first comment was anything being said about whites, yet someone chose to respond without really considering what was said...... It is hogwash, really.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 10-07-14 at 04:49 PM.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •