View Poll Results: Is there such a thing as White Privilege?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 55.00%
  • No

    45 45.00%
Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 352

Thread: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

  1. #211
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,466

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    We're talking about white privilege, not Asian women driving. Good grief, the drama from you is a sight to behold.

    By the way, some day - not today because I don't care - you can show me where my hatred and intolerance for Asian women drivers is, and how it is I refuse to accept them. But I'll let you carry on in the meantime with your crying over my comments about Asian women being bad drivers yesterday. Have fun! Buy some tissues.
    After living in Las Vegas for over 10 years and driving behind cars with plates from all 50 states, I found that Utah drivers are the worst.

    Am I a bigot too?
    Last edited by Mason66; 10-07-14 at 02:38 PM.

  2. #212
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Well of course he does, silly.....

    Unless of course, the President is a Republican. then nothing is his fault. See gas prices.
    I think you meant "Democrat" unless you've been living under a rock for the past 6 years.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #213
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,466

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone can deny the presence of male white privilege. Saying it does not exist simply does not pass the smell test.
    Why did you add the word "male"?

  4. #214
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    After living in Las Vegas for over 10 years and driving beh9ind cars with plates from all 50 states, I found that Utah drivers are the worst.

    Am I a bigot too?
    You could be. Or you could be nuts. Did you ever drive behind a driver from Massachusetts?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #215
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    The NAACP have white members. But I bet you classify them as a black organization right?
    They classify themselves as a black organization. The tea party does not. And in fact, has nothing to do with race.

  6. #216
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,466

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    I'm from Los Angeles. Please tell me exactly this place is? I never heard any of my white friends say that they were pulled over because they were white.

    Especially by the LAPD !!!!
    He wasn't referring to the police.

  7. #217
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,466

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You could be. Or you could be nuts. Did you ever drive behind a driver from Massachusetts?
    There are not that many in Vegas but Utah is the worst. Slow and careful loses the race in Vegas.

  8. #218
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    The only way I'd say it's a "liability" is that you are not eligible for a lot of the same benefits that minorities might be.

    Other whites also tend to, largely subconsciously, hold your behavior to a higher standard of conduct than they would a person of minority descent, and be quite a bit more punitive in judging what they determine to be a failure to meet those standards.

    I work retail, for instance. We've got black employees here who routinely show up 10 to 15 minutes late for work, suck at customer service, and randomly disappear for thirty minutes at a time or more during their shifts to fiddle around with their cell phones. Yet... No one ever says anything, nor do they lose their jobs.

    Me, on the other hand? I can't even take a dump on the job without having some grouchy manager give me a hard time over it.

    Hell! I got caught glancing at my cell phone to check my messages one time, and it was brought up in every performance review I had for the next 6 months!
    Let me put it in another way for you looking through my experience.

    In the corporate world, I can't speak out and get angry like my white co-workers because I know that this is what is expected from us and I don't want to shut the door on other blacks coming in. This is a very common train of thought with black professionals. I have to be the perfect angel where whites don't have that pressure on them because they are the ones in power and 9 times out of 10, they are the majority.

    My wife who is very experience in her profession, has a first name that very common for black women. She had a hard time getting call for interviews. When her told her to use her middle name which is held normally by whites, she started getting phone calls....Imagine that.

    I try to tell people (Both black and White) that just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  9. #219
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    So does BLACK privilege. You see, while we are working those lazy slugs are sitting on their fat asses letting the crackers pay for their very existence.


    What I would pay to see you say this in person to a black person but that would take some balls, right?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  10. #220
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Is There Such a Thing as "White Privilege"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Vigilance is not a pie equally split between races. You can watch certain people more closely, but that doesn't mean you are not watching other people too.
    Their time/concentration is. Again, if they are racially profiling to watch certain people more, then by definition there must be a less. They can still monitor other races but not to the extent that they could be, because they are concentrating on one particular race.

    In a simplified case, if a border patrol (easier example than a shopkeeper but same principle) can process 10 cars in a day, they should monitor 5 black drivers and 5 white. If they instead choose to check 7 black drivers for drugs, then not only is that 2 potential white drug dealers who get to go straight through, but even if it is completely random as to which color driver has drugs, they will catch more black drivers with drugs than white drivers, even though they monitor white drivers aswell. Again, this fuels their confirmation bias and tomorrow they'll likely profile black drivers again because of yesterdays results. The cycle perpetuates.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •