View Poll Results: Should the FCC ban usage of the word 'Redskins' in broadcasts?

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It is derogatory and a slur

    244 65.42%
  • No - The FCC shouldn't get involved

    127 34.05%
  • Other - Explain

    2 0.54%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 180

Thread: FCC + 'Redskins'

  1. #131
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It probably does... there are a lot of really sensitive weenies out there itching to whine about something even if it is not big deal.
    And insensitive assholes. So what? The fact is the word has a clear meaning.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I ALWAYS looked at Redskins as a sign of pride, to be honest. Noble. Strong. Etc.
    Which also means nothing. Again, the word has a factual definition.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #133
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm sorry, but I've already shown that factually you're wrong.
    No. What you've shown is that you have a negative opinion of the name.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #134
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,987

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And insensitive assholes. So what? The fact is the word has a clear meaning.
    No it does not have a clear meaning:

    In the United States, "redskin" is regarded as a racial epithet by some,[36] neutral by some people,[37] including some Native Americans.[38] Three predominately Native American schools use the name for their athletic teams, most notably the 98% Native American enrollment of the Red Mesa High School in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona.[

    "Do you think the Washington Redskins should change their nickname, or not?"; Do 18%, Do not 71%, Not Sure 11%.[76] An Associated Press poll from May 2013 found that 79 percent of those sampled support the team keeping its name.[77] A January 2014 AP survey found that 83% of U.S. adults would not change the name.


    Redskin (slang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    No. What you've shown is that you have a negative opinion of the name.
    No, I've shown a dictionary definition. That's different.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #136
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, I've shown a dictionary definition. That's different.
    Dictionary schmictionary.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #137
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No it does not have a clear meaning:

    In the United States, "redskin" is regarded as a racial epithet by some,[36] neutral by some people,[37] including some Native Americans.[38] Three predominately Native American schools use the name for their athletic teams, most notably the 98% Native American enrollment of the Red Mesa High School in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona.[

    "Do you think the Washington Redskins should change their nickname, or not?"; Do 18%, Do not 71%, Not Sure 11%.[76] An Associated Press poll from May 2013 found that 79 percent of those sampled support the team keeping its name.[77] A January 2014 AP survey found that 83% of U.S. adults would not change the name.


    Redskin (slang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Regarded, not defined. I might think the word table means a leaf eating alien from Mars. That would not mean the word is defined that way.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #138
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Dictionary schmictionary.
    A word means what it means. It really is that simple.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #139
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A word means what it means. It really is that simple.
    Except when it doesn't.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #140
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Except when it doesn't.
    But it does. You can't make up definitions to suite you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •