View Poll Results: Should the FCC ban usage of the word 'Redskins' in broadcasts?

Voters
373. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It is derogatory and a slur

    244 65.42%
  • No - The FCC shouldn't get involved

    127 34.05%
  • Other - Explain

    2 0.54%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 180

Thread: FCC + 'Redskins'

  1. #121
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I suspect it is. And I know of the flawed poll as well.
    You suspect it offends the vast majority of people and tribes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #122
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It doesn't matter what they meant. Words having actual meaning. We can't make words mean what we want them to mean just because that is what we want. They already have meaning. No poll changes that. It's not a popularity thing. It's a definition thing.
    Tell that to Oxford...




  3. #123
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Yup. People on the reservation should shut up.
    And others should know what words mean.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You suspect it offends the vast majority of people and tribes?
    I suspect it offends more than the flawed poll recorded.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Tell that to Oxford...



    Buckley isn't exactly Oxford.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Tell that to Oxford...



    From the Oxford dictionary:
    noun

    dated or offensive

    . . . . . redskin lost its neutral, accurate descriptive sense and became a term of disparagement.

    redskin: definition of redskin in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #127
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,981
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And others should know what words mean.
    Unfortunately, these days the word means a poor football team. Nothing more.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #128
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I suspect it offends more than the flawed poll recorded.
    It probably does... there are a lot of really sensitive weenies out there itching to whine about something even if it is not big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And others should know what words mean.
    I ALWAYS looked at Redskins as a sign of pride, to be honest. Noble. Strong. Etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: FCC + 'Redskins'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Unfortunately, these days the word means a poor football team. Nothing more.
    I'm sorry, but I've already shown that factually you're wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •