View Poll Results: Do firearms empower people?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    27 44.26%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 32.79%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 6.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    2 3.28%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    4 6.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    4 6.56%
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 433

Thread: Do firearms empower people?

  1. #421
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And how do they get there?
    very few of them actually run on gun issues.



  2. #422
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Or one could have nothing intelligent to say and thus respond with some idiotic drivel that only a complete retard would bother wasting the time necessary to type. For example, one could simply respond with a brain-turd along the lines of: "So much flawed logic, where does one start?"

    That way the mindless idiot who chooses such a response can engage in all of the mental masturbation they see fit without actually engaging their brain in any way shape or form, thus eliminating any possibility of them harming themselves.
    Well, yes...

    But I don't give a flying **** for the mental safety of such.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #423
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    very few of them actually run on gun issues.
    True, but let's be honest, the people who vote for them probably feel the same way about guns as they do, and the reason for that...?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #424
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    True, but let's be honest, the people who vote for them probably feel the same way about guns as they do, and the reason for that...?
    politicians generally do two things

    pander to those they think support them

    try to preserve their tenure in office

    in some cases, they pander to a public outcry and yes, Sandy Hook was a one of those
    but we often see politicians whip up public hysteria without any visible massacre

    like Obama denying private companies the ability to re-import hundreds of thousands of highly collectible MI Garands we had sold or given to our allies and are now militarily obsolete. Obama claimed that "these weapons of war could end up on our streets" even though the US GOVERNMENT through the now privatized (under clinton) Civilian Marksmanship Program sold millions of these rifles and the MI carbines to people like me and the number of them used i crimes-especially the bi and heavy Garands have an almost non-existent incidence of criminal misuse



  5. #425
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    politicians generally do two things

    pander to those they think support them

    try to preserve their tenure in office

    in some cases, they pander to a public outcry and yes, Sandy Hook was a one of those
    but we often see politicians whip up public hysteria without any visible massacre

    like Obama denying private companies the ability to re-import hundreds of thousands of highly collectible MI Garands we had sold or given to our allies and are now militarily obsolete. Obama claimed that "these weapons of war could end up on our streets" even though the US GOVERNMENT through the now privatized (under clinton) Civilian Marksmanship Program sold millions of these rifles and the MI carbines to people like me and the number of them used i crimes-especially the bi and heavy Garands have an almost non-existent incidence of criminal misuse
    The part I put in bold is key. Pandering to public outcry. The average person is generally an idiot. Let's just get that out in the open. So they aren't necessarily worried about the actual results of an action, they are merely interested in whether or not the action provides them the illusion of achieving their goals.

    Many people in the public are of the misguided belief that gun restrictions can prevent gun crimes. Thus, they want to see restrictions put into place. They don't give a **** about how unlikely it is that an M1 Garand is going to be used in a crime, they don't even know what an M1 Garand is. They merely want to see "something done", no matter how useless that "something" that gets done is.

    Politicians are also idiots, but their advisers are often quite smart. The advisers know that the easiest way to appease the public is to do "something" regardless of how pointless that "something" actually is. So they pass laws that have no chance of working and it appeases the public that they wish to appease.

    On the flip side, the opposition politicians will wave guns around and yammer on incessantly about tyranny and using guns to defend freedom, which counts as "something done" for the idiots in the public to which they pander. It has an affect on these people despite being an equally worthless gesture as the "ban" imposed by the other douche.

    Politics, when boiled down to its base form, is nothing but a game of getting idiots to think you are "doing something". It's merely a matter of picking which kind of idiot you want to pander to. The left has picked the kind of idiots who want to ban guns, the right has picked the kinds of idiots who love guns. Since both groups tend to have traits which align them with certain other views, it's a little bit more complicated than simply deciding on guns and moving on, but the incredibly strong correlations between supporting gun rights and evangelical Christianity and opposing gun rights while supporting abortion rights are indicative of the general mindset of the idiots involved.

    Granted, there's a lot of group think involved that I'm downplaying. Conforming to the local social norms is a big part of why such correlations exist, but blind conformity to any specific set of social norms is often a result of incredible stupidity.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #426
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    72

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It's easy to see because it only takes a simple analysis of the present and a moderate grasp of reality (that last bit might be hard for some, but you might be able to "fake it till you make it" on that).

    How could an "overthrow" of the government occur? If enough people had enough firepower to overtake the firepower of the country that is more well armed than any otehr 10 countries combined. Since that will never happen, the government will never be overthrown.

    And with regard to a civil war, if it didn't happen as a result of the Civil rights act, it ain't ever happening. That was an issue worth killing people over. The **** we deal with now? Typically a bunch of crybaby pussies being pissed off because they have no ****ing perspective on what real tyranny and suffering due to government is.
    I'm not real sure where your going with this other than I agree I also dont see a civil war anytime soon. I do have a question. Lets say the government went bat **** crazy and the people did try to overthrow. You say that there is no way possible for it to happen. Do you think the military will always side with the government? I dont think they would. It would not surprise me to see them not follow orders if it came down to firing on civilians.
    Mike

  7. #427
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Exercising one's rights. A means to prevent tyranny. Self defense. The means to hunt.


    Do firearms empower people? Note that this is not pertaining specifically to the US or the 2nd amendment, but rather a general question.






    Of course, guns do empower people. I think probably where we disagree is that I'm not sure I want certain people quite so empowered. I'd rather, for example, ISIS not be able to get their hands on guns. Now that they have, they're certainly empowered.

    The same is true for right-wing nutjobs living in Montana believing the UN is going to come for them. I don't want them to have guns. But it's a plain fact that as they do have them, they're empowered, rightly or wrongly.

  8. #428
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by mperry View Post
    I'm not real sure where your going with this other than I agree I also dont see a civil war anytime soon. I do have a question. Lets say the government went bat **** crazy and the people did try to overthrow. You say that there is no way possible for it to happen. Do you think the military will always side with the government? I dont think they would. It would not surprise me to see them not follow orders if it came down to firing on civilians.
    If the military didn't side with the government, the government couldn't go crazy because the military is part of the government. It's not some separate entity. It's the enforcement arm of the government, ultimately.

    So your hypothetical scenario is one that cannot happen. It's like saying "If my arms decide to go crazy, but my shoulders refuse to help them".
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If the military didn't side with the government, the government couldn't go crazy because the military is part of the government. It's not some separate entity. It's the enforcement arm of the government, ultimately.

    So your hypothetical scenario is one that cannot happen. It's like saying "If my arms decide to go crazy, but my shoulders refuse to help them".
    More brilliance.

  10. #430
    Advisor plutonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    546

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    it just makes it easier to kill someone period,,,, what empowered mlk or ghandi so if killing empowers people ....very sad but I do have a gun...oops guns,,,,,,, for protection or a equalizer

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •