View Poll Results: Do firearms empower people?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    27 44.26%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 32.79%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 6.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    2 3.28%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    4 6.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    4 6.56%
Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 433

Thread: Do firearms empower people?

  1. #361
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Guess that depends on how you would define "tyrannical" and how far back you want to go.
    According to the definition of tyranny: "a government in which absolute power is vested in a single ruler"

    History is littered with empires that ran up against inferior forces and just couldn't handle themselves, mostly due to supply lines being easily disrupted and lack of knowledge of the terrain and the locals.
    See the part in bold? It directly contradicts the concept of "overthrow". It in fact would imply "defend against and invading force". We're talking about overthrowing. Talking about "Repelling an invading force" in the context of "overthrowing a tyrannical government" is, quite obviously, asinine.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #362
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Consider the wars involving Vietnam, which suggests the ability to win can be trumped by the will to win_
    So the US invading force in Vietnam was tyrannical in your opinion?

    If not, why the **** are you talking about it?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #363
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Guess that depends on how you would define "tyrannical" and how far back you want to go. Rome got their asses handed to them on multiple occasions by "inferior forces". All the European empires got their lumps during their adventuring days from one place to another. History is littered with empires that ran up against inferior forces and just couldn't handle themselves, mostly due to supply lines being easily disrupted and lack of knowledge of the terrain and the locals. Probably the most recent though would be the Mujaheddin in the 1980's in Afghanistan.
    To expand further on this, I would argue that the most inherently useful aspect of the 2nd amendment is the fact that it makes the US more easily defensible against any invading force. The whole purpose of the state militias (and subsequently the second amendment which provided for the arming of said militias) was NOT to prevent tyranny in the US, but was instead to prevent invading forces from achieving victory by making an invasion "not worth the effort it would require".
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #364
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,224

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the collective bed wetting following Dunblane was really pathetic

    must be tough to know one of my friends has more Gold Olympic and world archery medals than all of England!
    My indifference to braggarts is at fever pitch.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #365
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,224

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Consider the wars involving Vietnam, which suggests the ability to win can be trumped by the will to win_

    "In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom.''- Braveheart

    Yes, poets are known to exaggerate victories and romanticize battles in the struggle of "Good versus Evil"_

    And the message the poets usually convey is that, there is much more to being victorious than military might alone_
    Braveheart was Hollywood BS based loosely on romanticised crap written by a Wallace descendant. Bannockburn was a great tactical victory against the odds, but people forget that though we sent Henry "homeward to think again" 200 years later they came back and kicked the living **** out of us when a whole male generation was lost at Flodden.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  6. #366
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So the US invading force in Vietnam was tyrannical in your opinion?
    The "tyrannical" catalyst you mentioned was inconsequential to my point because it had no bearing on the outcome_

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If not, why the **** are you talking about it?
    I thought it was quite clear that I was commenting on the "overthrown by an inferior force" segment of your post_

    And for christ sake, calm yourself down Tuck; these emotional flair-ups are unproductive, stressful and so unnecessary_

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Braveheart was Hollywood BS based loosely on romanticised crap written by a Wallace descendant. Bannockburn was a great tactical victory against the odds, but people forget that though we sent Henry "homeward to think again" 200 years later they came back and kicked the living **** out of us when a whole male generation was lost at Flodden.
    Which is pretty much what I said!

    I included "Braveheart" simply to make the point in my post below_(which btw you quoted and should have noticed)
    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Yes, poets are known to exaggerate victories and romanticize battles in the struggle of "Good versus Evil"_

    And the message the poets usually convey is that, there is much more to being victorious than military might alone_
    Have a nice day~
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  7. #367
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    The "tyrannical" catalyst you mentioned was inconsequential to my point because it had no bearing on the outcome_

    I thought it was quite clear that I was commenting on the "overthrown by an inferior force" segment of your post_
    So you respond to a statement requesting one to "name one tyranical government that was..." by ignoring that portion of the post?!?!?!?

    And you think it should be quite clear that you were ignoring the primary ****ing portion of the sentence being responded to in order to treat the prepositional phrase at the end as though it was the request that was presented?!?!?

    Frankly, for that to be "quite clear", one must assume that you are totally and completely incapable of presenting a cogent thought in a conversation because it requires total and complete incompetence to do the above.

    So I guess you are right, it should have been quite clear.


    And for christ sake, calm yourself down Tuck; these emotional flair-ups are unproductive, stressful and so unnecessary_
    No, the sheer idiocy you consistently choose to post in lieu of posting a cogent, intelligent thought is unproductive and unnecessary. My reaction to your choice to spew such idiocy all over the page like a 15 year old amish kid spws all over his jockeys at a strip club is just good old-fashioned fun.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #368
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    My indifference to braggarts is at fever pitch.
    bed wetters seem to be more palatable to you than winners. but what your country did to thousands of honest pistol owners was disgusting



  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So you respond to a statement requesting one to "name one tyranical government that was..." by ignoring that portion of the post?!?!?!?

    And you think it should be quite clear that you were ignoring the primary ****ing portion of the sentence being responded to in order to treat the prepositional phrase at the end as though it was the request that was presented?!?!?

    Frankly, for that to be "quite clear", one must assume that you are totally and completely incapable of presenting a cogent thought in a conversation because it requires total and complete incompetence to do the above.

    So I guess you are right, it should have been quite clear.




    No, the sheer idiocy you consistently choose to post in lieu of posting a cogent, intelligent thought is unproductive and unnecessary. My reaction to your choice to spew such idiocy all over the page like a 15 year old amish kid spws all over his jockeys at a strip club is just good old-fashioned fun.
    Dude, she owned you. Move on.

  10. #370
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Dude, she owned you. Move on.
    How does creating a "rebuttal" about something entirely different from what I've actually been saying count as "owning" me?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •