View Poll Results: Do firearms empower people?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    27 44.26%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 32.79%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 6.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    2 3.28%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    4 6.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    4 6.56%
Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 433

Thread: Do firearms empower people?

  1. #311
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Here, I am one of three , a minority if ever there was one . IMO, the firearms and weaponry give the weak confidence .. or so they think . In reality - NO. Knowledge is necessary..
    But, if we continue to regress into the 1700s, this may change ..

  2. #312
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    You are right and you are wrong. You are right that if you are insufficiently armed then yes all you have is an illusion to resist tyranny. However if you are sufficiently armed then your potential for resistance is NOT illusion. If the cost to the tyranny is light or nothing then they will pay and not think about paying, its the cost of doing business. If however the potential cost is expensive or more so then they may not be so quick to pay said cost. The principle of mutually assured destruction is based on the principle of cost. As costs to the various parties in a conflict go up the less the likelihood that armed conflict will occur and the more likely a negotiation occurs. So the ability to extract high to potential adversaries costs is a worthwhile ability and negotiating tool.
    You can't be sufficiently armed to resist a tyrannical government in this country because our government, should it ever decide to become tyrannical, is always going to be armed significantly better than the resistance.

    Only a true civil war, where the government splits fairly evenly and both sides take along the weaponry the government possesses, would allow a chance for victory from the "resistance" side.

    In that case, it wouldn't be resistance to tyranny, because the side that is considered tyrannical would not have enough authority (due to the split) in order to actually be tyrannical. It would only become a tyrannical government if it actually wins the civil war.

    But if the government made the shift to tyranny without splitting up, any armed resistance by the people would be futile due to the disproportion of armament.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #313
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    As I mentioned above, guns empower people to do whatever they want. That both applies to fighting back against tyranny, and being a tyrant in the first place. I can't name any tyrants who were unarmed.

    We would also have to get into an argument about what constitutes 'tyranny'. Not sure the US government is any more or less tyrannical than the UK...
    I can show you were citizens that were unarmed face tyranny.

    Arguing about what qualifies as tyranny is like arguing how to define fast. It's relative. To some, if their welfare check doesn't come on the day it's expected, they think it's tryanny. My brother is a postal carrier and had that very conversation with someone who got that handout.

  4. #314
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Dont hate me for your loss of freedom, mate.
    Who's hating anything?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative65 View Post
    I can show you were citizens that were unarmed face tyranny.
    Tyranny from the armed! Pretty much everything cuts both ways, though.

    Arguing about what qualifies as tyranny is like arguing how to define fast. It's relative. To some, if their welfare check doesn't come on the day it's expected, they think it's tryanny. My brother is a postal carrier and had that very conversation with someone who got that handout.
    Totally agreed.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  5. #315
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    Who's hating anything?

    Tyranny from the armed! Pretty much everything cuts both ways, though.

    Totally agreed.
    Why do you think so many in history referred to as tyrants disarmed their people?

  6. #316
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Empirica-you are what Willis was talking bout.
    Ohhhkay USCon; I'll bite__Who is "Willis" and what was he/she/it talking about?

    (I'm hoping it's something good cuz I like you; so don't blow it)
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  7. #317
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,694

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    What? 'more powerful weapon' doesn't mean empowerment? To empower means to give power to, no?
    Yes, that what I thought we were talking about in the thread. A more powerful weapon is just a bigger club; not necessarily a better tool for fighting.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  8. #318
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You can't be sufficiently armed to resist a tyrannical government in this country because our government, should it ever decide to become tyrannical, is always going to be armed significantly better than the resistance.

    Only a true civil war, where the government splits fairly evenly and both sides take along the weaponry the government possesses, would allow a chance for victory from the "resistance" side.

    In that case, it wouldn't be resistance to tyranny, because the side that is considered tyrannical would not have enough authority (due to the split) in order to actually be tyrannical. It would only become a tyrannical government if it actually wins the civil war.

    But if the government made the shift to tyranny without splitting up, any armed resistance by the people would be futile due to the disproportion of armament.
    Yes you can be sufficiently armed to deter a tyrannical government. This is both in a collective sense and an individual sense. Asymmetrical warfare works. Notice ISIS and Al-Qaida on down through time there are many examples of small bands or individuals who successfully resisted tyrannical governments. Most have been groups granted, but the same principles apply regardless. It all boils down to how much cost can be extracted and how willing a transgressor wishes to pay that cost. Deterrence depends on a potential enemy knowing that the cost for engaging is steep and most likely unfruitful.

    Weaponry is not just guns and missiles those are just tools. Anything can be used as a weapon. The true weapon is a man. The most dangerous weapons system on the face of this earth is one pissed off hairless monkey, that has broad knowledge and the skill to use it. They find weakness and exploit. They are multiple use. They are unpredictable.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #319
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Notice ISIS and Al-Qaida on down through time there are many examples of small bands or individuals who successfully resisted tyrannical governments.
    That's just it, these groups did not successfully resist tyrannical governments. Saddam was a tyrant, and groups like these couldn't do **** against him. It wasn't until we deposed the tyrant that these groups gained power. Why? Because we do not run the region as a tyrant does.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You can't be sufficiently armed to resist a tyrannical government in this country because our government, should it ever decide to become tyrannical, is always going to be armed significantly better than the resistance.

    Only a true civil war, where the government splits fairly evenly and both sides take along the weaponry the government possesses, would allow a chance for victory from the "resistance" side.

    In that case, it wouldn't be resistance to tyranny, because the side that is considered tyrannical would not have enough authority (due to the split) in order to actually be tyrannical. It would only become a tyrannical government if it actually wins the civil war.

    But if the government made the shift to tyranny without splitting up, any armed resistance by the people would be futile due to the disproportion of armament.
    Save your appeasement and doom hand wringing for elsewhere. Its not for you to decide whats acceptable.

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •