View Poll Results: Do firearms empower people?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    27 44.26%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 32.79%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 6.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    2 3.28%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    4 6.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    4 6.56%
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 433

Thread: Do firearms empower people?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, it is entirely irrelevant. If I call a cat a dog, it's still a cat. And the issue isn't Marxism. Nothing wrong with the ideology as a concept. The problem is human nature makes it untenable. Humans always create a hierarchy. Marxism is directly in conflict with that.
    You are looking at the what and Im looking at the why.

  2. #222
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You are looking at the what and Im looking at the why.
    No, I've been quite descriptive in the "why".
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #223
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The specific stat was that guns are at least as likely to be used for lawful defense as for crime. And since prevented crime often isn't reported its probably much higher.
    The actual stats are inconclusive. It would be nice if they weren't but such is life.

    Depending on the survey used, DGUs are either much higher, or much lower, than crimes involving a gun.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  4. #224
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Amongst the failings of Marxism is that is presumes to determine what these long term goals are, when there is no way something as complex as not just the economy but the individuals personal reasons can be aligned in such a way. This is one of the reasons why it ends up authoritarian.

    We get "bunny marxists" (the cute, cuddly kind the American left presents as the standard) in nations like Sweden but they are an artifact-protected from "wolf marxists" by its capitalist benefactors, and unable to even maintain its population.

    It fails on so many levels.
    Greater economic and social parity is
    the goal. That's not particularly a greater unachievable notion that holding it self-evident that all men are created equal and creating a political system around that.


    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Dictators don't magically appear, they often have to work through a system to get where they are, and there are certain systems that have a propensity.
    Authoritarian systems do. They were both authoritarian. Hitler wasn't a marxist. He was closer to Margaret Thatcher than Stalin. She was slightly less authoritarian and (arguably) less evil.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    The actual stats are inconclusive. It would be nice if they weren't but such is life.

    Depending on the survey used, DGUs are either much higher, or much lower, than crimes involving a gun.
    No they aren't inconclusive. Guns protect innocent Americans. So hands off or it wont end well.

  6. #226
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Not really. Its like the FACT that there is something about radical islam that leads people to kill innocents in horrible ways.

    Its ok to note the obvious association.
    No, it's a fact that those who follow radical Islam often act in horrible ways.

    Remember... correlation does not equal causation.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Greater economic and social parity is
    the goal. That's not particularly a greater unachievable notion that holding it self-evident that all men are created equal and creating a political system around that.
    Talk about getting your wires crossed. PARITY is not and has not EVER been the norm, it violates human nature. Some do better than others, and the only way to equalize them is for someone to take AWAY from some, making everyone poor.

    And all men being created equal is NOT the same as all men having equal wealth.

    Your flawed logic has killed millions, congrats.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, it's a fact that those who follow radical Islam often act in horrible ways.

    Remember... correlation does not equal causation.
    I never said it did, thats a man of straw. I said there is a correlation, and in this case a quite deadly one. Often, its a small minority that leads an entire group into the fire. This happened in Germany and Russia as well.

  9. #229
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I never said it did, thats a man of straw. I said there is a correlation, and in this case a quite deadly one.
    Yeah, you did. You said it's FACT that there is something about radical islam that leads people to kill innocents in horrible ways.

    Then you used the term association. So, which is it, a fact that it leads to those things, or is it just associated with them?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Precisely. I understand that Marx believed that a communist "government" wasn't something that formed but something that other governments morphed into. Thing is, if he was right, why have we never seen that? They've always morphed into authoritarian dictatorships.
    If I remember correctly his theory was that capitalism would lead to socialism which in time would lead to communism. On that ideal certain socialist systems designed to transition capitalism to socialism were formed.

Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •