View Poll Results: Do firearms empower people?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    27 44.26%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 32.79%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 6.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    2 3.28%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    4 6.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    4 6.56%
Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 433

Thread: Do firearms empower people?

  1. #191
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Well, do you think you have an advantage by having those guns vs not having them?

    BTW-YOU know how to use those guns to protect yourself, and your family as well, right?
    I do. My husband made sure of that.

  2. #192
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Those are communist regimes in name only. They were authoritarian regimes. There's never been an actual communist regime. Not possible.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #193
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Those are communist regimes in name only. They were authoritarian regimes. There's never been an actual communist regime. Not possible.


    True. Especially the last two words.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #194
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    True. Especially the last two words.
    Communism is nice in theory... idiotic in practice. It goes against human nature and stifles individual creativity and growth.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #195
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Communism is nice in theory... idiotic in practice. It goes against human nature and stifles individual creativity and growth.


    Yup. Apparently it also provides too much opportunity, in the revolutionary and formative stages, for dictators or oligarchies to seize power... and then just keep it, since that is what always happens.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #196
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Yup. Apparently it also provides too much opportunity, in the revolutionary and formative stages, for dictators or oligarchies to seize power... and then just keep it, since that is what always happens.
    Precisely. I understand that Marx believed that a communist "government" wasn't something that formed but something that other governments morphed into. Thing is, if he was right, why have we never seen that? They've always morphed into authoritarian dictatorships.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #197
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Precisely. I understand that Marx believed that a communist "government" wasn't something that formed but something that other governments morphed into. Thing is, if he was right, why have we never seen that? They've always morphed into authoritarian dictatorships.


    Very good point. Possibly because Marx was yet another in a long line of people who had a really cool idea that turned out to be absolutely wrong.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #198
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,722

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Guns are a machine for killing. They make killing easier and less personal. Like any good machine, it empowers the operator.
    Do you think that it empowers all operators? If so why. And if not, why not?
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  9. #199
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,722

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Very good point. Possibly because Marx was yet another in a long line of people who had a really cool idea that turned out to be absolutely wrong.
    What do you like about Marx's idea? and how do you think it should have been applied? bad carryouts notwithstanding.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  10. #200
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Precisely. I understand that Marx believed that a communist "government" wasn't something that formed but something that other governments morphed into. Thing is, if he was right, why have we never seen that? They've always morphed into authoritarian dictatorships.
    Bread and circuses win out most of the time over quality long term goals.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •