View Poll Results: Do firearms empower people?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    27 44.26%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 32.79%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 6.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    2 3.28%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    4 6.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    4 6.56%
Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 433

Thread: Do firearms empower people?

  1. #141
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,129

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually you are wrong. Firearms are designed to project a bullet. some are designed to win olympic medals, some are designed for self defense or offense. but its like a compound bow. Some guys use brand x compound bow to shoot 3D tournaments. SOme use it to hunt deer.
    Actually, I am right. You are once again attempting to making noble what is not. Yes, they are designed to project a bullet... but the purpose of that machine (projecting a bullet) is to kill.

    Guns were not created for sport; sport only became a use of the gun. Guns were first and foremost a weapon... a machine for killing (either to gain military advantage or to make getting dinner a bit easier). The sport came later.

    HowStuffWorks "Who invented the first gun?"
    The History of Firearms - A Timeline
    Gun Timeline | History Detectives | PBS
    History of the firearm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  2. #142
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,730

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    Yes as we all know marxists have killed everyone who has ever died



    that number is faulty in 2 ways. the first is deaths in socialist countries could happen for the same reasons in capitalist ones but still be blamed on marxism and the other is the black book of communism is rife with faulty math
    marxist countries are the ones piling up the bodies. not constitutional republics



  3. #143
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Says the Brit to the American.

    Whats all this about then
    ?


    It's about some old white men fighting for their freedom and rights (But not for the freedom and rights of blacks and women.)

  4. #144
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,730

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You are making noble what is not. Guns were not designed for sport; sport only became a use of the gun. Guns were first and foremost a weapon... a machine for killing (either to gain military advantage or to make getting dinner a bit easier). The sport came later.

    HowStuffWorks "Who invented the first gun?"
    The History of Firearms - A Timeline
    Gun Timeline | History Detectives | PBS
    History of the firearm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    you can say the same thing about the discus, knives, darts, archery, balls etc. the first "ball" was a stone thrown to kill.

    the PURPOSE of a firearm is whatever the shooter intends. I have over 500,000 rounds. Tonight I shot a pistol match (two guns-Open and stock-150 rounds) then three rounds of Skeet with my Beretta 682 with Briley tubes. The open gun is a CZ Czechmate race gun-designed purely for speed shooting. its based on a military design-the CZ 75. My stock gun is a CZ Custom shop version of the 75, its called the CZ shadow. again its designed for competition. the shotgun-designed purely for clay target shooting

    of the over half a million rounds I have shot from a pistol-only one was at a human.
    of the 100,000-150,000 shotgun shells I have shot, maybe 15,000-27000 were at birds (I used to do high volume dove shooting in south america) the rest were at clay targets .



  5. #145
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Really? The colonies became the USA largely because of the empowerment of arms.


    And a lot of help from France.

  6. #146
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by dogtowner View Post
    Empower to what ?
    Is it turns out, the only answer to that question is "kill other people". And when it comes to Americans carrying weapons, those other people are usually other Americans. Unarmed other Americans who they feel they have the right to kill. Guns empower people to create a little bit of tyranny in their immediate vicinity. It's pretty sad to hear people raise a fuss about government tyranny and then celebrate their ability to kill their fellow citizens on a whim.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #147
    economically ☭ socially ☭

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    marxist countries are the ones piling up the bodies. not constitutional republics
    "constitutional republics" have killed plenty of people

  8. #148
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    This exchange comes from one of my favorite movies:


    Yeah, I think a lot of people feel that way. I think a lot of people would react completely differently if they didn't have a gun. I'm not pigeon-holing all gun owners like this,
    but I think that, for some people, owning a gun gives them this feeling that they can do anything, and can get away with anything.


    Some people in the USA have learned the hard way that things don't work like that in the USA. A gun can get you a long stay at the greybar hotel.

  9. #149
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually you are wrong. Firearms are designed to project a bullet. some are designed to win olympic medals, some are designed for self defense or offense. but its like a compound bow. Some guys use brand x compound bow to shoot 3D tournaments. SOme use it to hunt deer.
    And a lawnmower is designed to spin a blade.

    Doesn't mean its purpose isn't cutting grass. I'm sure people race lawnmowers too.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  10. #150
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,498
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you can say the same thing about the discus, knives, darts, archery, balls etc. the first "ball" was a stone thrown to kill.

    the PURPOSE of a firearm is whatever the shooter intends. I have over 500,000 rounds. Tonight I shot a pistol match (two guns-Open and stock-150 rounds) then three rounds of Skeet with my Beretta 682 with Briley tubes. The open gun is a CZ Czechmate race gun-designed purely for speed shooting. its based on a military design-the CZ 75. My stock gun is a CZ Custom shop version of the 75, its called the CZ shadow. again its designed for competition. the shotgun-designed purely for clay target shooting

    of the over half a million rounds I have shot from a pistol-only one was at a human.
    of the 100,000-150,000 shotgun shells I have shot, maybe 15,000-27000 were at birds (I used to do high volume dove shooting in south america) the rest were at clay targets .
    15 to 27K rounds shot at birds? Damn. I don't know what you drive but if there's anything truth to karma you've got a LOT of crap to clean off your windshield coming up.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •