View Poll Results: Do firearms empower people?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    27 44.26%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    20 32.79%
  • Im not American, yes.

    4 6.56%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    2 3.28%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    4 6.56%
  • Im not American, no.

    4 6.56%
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 433

Thread: Do firearms empower people?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Absolutely correct. Real communism on a national scale isn't possible. Communists who believe it can are living in a dream world. People will always want more... and people wanting more helps things progress.
    I actually agree with you. You have to have the stubborn asshole that feels the current state of affairs is unacceptable to really move forward as a society.

  2. #92
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes, I've seen that sort of communism apologism before. "Every time communism has failed, it wasn't true communism." I suppose it's never been the case that the ideology itself is unrealistic since it goes against human nature and that's why it fails. Naw, if we did communism here, I'm sure we'd do it right.
    Communism has NEVER succeeded. It can't. There is no "communist apologism" in my post. My post speaks to the reality of the ideology. It's a failed ideology that cannot survive on a large scale. It ALWAYS turns into a dictatorship for two reason: 1) Human psychology causes us to want to move ahead and progress. Communism focuses more on equal and group progress which is unattainable because we are not all on the same level, and 2) Once you have someone or someones in power, communism ceases... again because of human psychology, this time greed. Once that happens, power corrupts, and the "good of the collective" becomes less important than the good of oneself.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #93
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    When documents and concepts start brandishing weapons and killing people? I always thought it was primarily people who killed people.
    The 1st Amendment jumped me the other day and stole my watch.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Stalin was the consequence of Lenin's philosophy that was heavily influenced by Marxism.
    Economically, true. However, Stalin went far further than Lenin did and basically abandoned communism from a political standpoint into authoritarianism.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I actually agree with you. You have to have the stubborn asshole that feels the current state of affairs is unacceptable to really move forward as a society.
    Yup. Stubborn people are the BEST. Without them, things remain the status quo.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #96
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Communism has NEVER succeeded. It can't. There is no "communist apologism" in my post.
    My mistake then. It's a common refrain that I hear from people who support communism.

    My post speaks to the reality of the ideology. It's a failed ideology that cannot survive on a large scale. It ALWAYS turns into a dictatorship for two reason: 1) Human psychology causes us to want to move ahead and progress. Communism focuses more on equal and group progress which is unattainable because we are not all on the same level, and 2) Once you have someone or someones in power, communism ceases... again because of human psychology, this time greed. Once that happens, power corrupts, and the "good of the collective" becomes less important than the good of oneself.
    Agreed and I'd add that, once you're the one in power, the needs of the masses seem to matter less and less compared to what you can get for yourself and, not to sound like Gordon Gekko, but that kind of greed is not always bad. Shoot, there has to be a little of that in everyone or there'd be no incentive or motive to do anything differently or, maybe, better.
    Last edited by X Factor; 10-03-14 at 10:56 PM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #97
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    As guns are inanimate no they dont kill people.
    Marxism, as judged by its implementation across the globe over the last century shows that indeed it does kill people-with guns or without.
    By what rational are you allowed to judge marxism by its implementation, but when anti-gun folk judge guns by their implementation we get the argument that they are inanimate tools? You simply cannot judge one by its implementation and the other as an inanimate object, no matter how 'incomparable' they are. Either:

    a) Guns kill people and marxism kills people.

    or

    b) Guns don't kill people, people who use abuse them do and marxism doesn't kill people, people who abuse it do.

    At least be consistent. (Your lawnmower/atheism comparisons are a complete straw man because you seem to be uncomfortable with admitting this)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is a stupid comment because for that to be true, you'd have to prove without the 2A there would be no murders. and we have seen countries like Mexico and Columbia have far more murders per capita and they don't have a second amendment
    Not that I agree with his statement, but if he needs to prove his point by saying that without the 2A there would be no murders, then surely in order to prove your accusation that communism/marxism caused all these murders then you'd have to prove that without communism there would be no murders. That's clearly not the case. Using your own logic here.
    Last edited by Nilly; 10-03-14 at 11:05 PM.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  8. #98
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    When documents and concepts start brandishing weapons and killing people? I always thought it was primarily people who killed people.
    Ask US Conservative. He's the one who believes marxism kills people.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  9. #99
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    Ask US Conservative. He's the one who believes marxism kills people.
    Marxism is the same thing as the second amendment?
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #100
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Do firearms empower people?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is a stupid comment because for that to be true, you'd have to prove without the 2A there would be no murders. and we have seen countries like Mexico and Columbia have far more murders per capita and they don't have a second amendment
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    When documents and concepts start brandishing weapons and killing people? I always thought it was primarily people who killed people.
    This critical thinking is sadly absent from your claim that Marxism killed 100 million people.

    Still waiting on your data.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •