View Poll Results: Is Political Correctness real?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes PC is real and is rampant. People are too sensitive.

    42 68.85%
  • Yes and No - It depends. (Explain in your post)

    11 18.03%
  • No PC is a made up escape goat. It is a catch phrase used to distract from a real issue.

    8 13.11%
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 267

Thread: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

  1. #51
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Both sides have their own PC. If you don't believe that try saying "tea-bagger."

    To me, PC is just not being an asshole. It's about the golden rule of doing as you'd have done to you. Once the insults start flying, all bets are off as far as this place goes.
    Isn't "teabagger" supposed to be an insult?

  2. #52
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,492

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Well... tea-bagger is meant as an insult right? Then youre just being an asshole avoiding any discussion and just calling people tea baggers to win some kind of who can say more clever insults more war.

    what a person means matters more than the actual word....

    "Tea bagger" was first coined as a homosexual practice.

    It was "borrowed" as an inside joke to insult and is now used for anyone who disagrees with the Obama administration.

    I, a Canadian Liberal who supports universal health care has been called a teabagger several hundred times. That is why, when those same 'liberal' people also take offense I respond with "**** off, you hypocritical lying misfit, your mother never had any kids she wanted." or something extremely put personally offensive as opposed to the more objectionable insult of, say, a political party and it's leader.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #53
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Except that is not always the case. I'd say it's rarely the case and if the shoe fits then wear it. You watered it down to fit your narrative but -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post

    i.e.

    If you criticize any culture other than your own, you are branded as being a "racist."
    If you are criticizing a culture of a race for issues that exist in all races including your own, but you refuse to acknowledge that. Then yeah you may be racist. If you want to say things like "Blacks are violent, I'm just calling a spade a spade." but then are full of excuses, special pleading, and qualifiers when someone points out Russian thugs kicking the homeless, kidnapping and beating homosexuals, and targeting non Russians in violent hate crimes, then there is something amiss in your perception of the world around you.

    If you criticize a life style you find questionable, you are branded as being a "sexist" or "homophobe."
    I've addressed you on this and you gave a flippant response a long time ago. You have been given source by multiple people that explains homosexuality. Sources from legitimate experts on the topic. But you only care for your own sources that perpetuate your confirmed bias. You refuse to see anything beyond that as legitimate. And the only thing I have ever seen you give any ounce of credibility to are sources that allow to continue to see homosexuals as "weird" and "questionable". It does seem homophobic, because - to me at least, it's an irrational conclusion you keep coming to in face of all the contradictory evidence.

    If you criticize behaviors which perpetuate poverty, you are told that you need to "check your privilege."
    Well if you strip away all the causing factors for such behaviors that are rampant in impoverished areas, then yeah. Your argument is overly simplified and seems to be stemming from a place of privilege.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 10-02-14 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #54
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Negro.....African American

    Indian....Native American....American Indian
    I'm black and I don't want to be called a Negro. The word is ugly and has a negative connotation.

    Native Americans are not Indian, they were mistaken for such.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  5. #55
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    PC is fine when it's kept on a leash, but it's gotten out of hand at times these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    4. Forcing kids to eat Michelle Obama-approved lunches.
    This isn't really an example of PC.

    I agree with the other points of yours, but had to single this out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I'm black and I don't want to be called a Negro. The word is ugly and has a negative connotation.
    Exactly. For someone to have an issue with this brings their character into question.

    Subtle racists think they're slick.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Isn't "teabagger" supposed to be an insult?
    I just get flashes of Halo Multiplayer when I hear the word, personally.
    Last edited by Van Basten; 10-02-14 at 03:34 PM.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  6. #56
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I would need to see an example of the term being used to identify what you believe is phony and substantial positioning on an issue. I've only ever seen it used when social issues are brought up that have offended a group of people and is used to describe that group of people.

    For instance -
    Amazon Warns About 'Racial Prejudices' In 'Tom And Jerry'

    Amazon recently added tom and jerry with it's originally aired episodes. This means that it includes the representations of attitudes that existed 70 years ago. As a result they added a disclaimer identifying that Tom and Jerry have ethically dubious episodes that deal with racial perception.

    People, as you can see in the comments, are calling this pc. Which i find ridiculous. The imagery of black face and other stereotypical punch lines that are made at the expense of a people in the show can be a bit a jarring to those that it hits closest to home to.

    That why I pointed out that it's usually the privileged class that cries PC. Notice the racial make up of group who is crying pc and the group who is seeing it for what it is.

    This is something I've noticed for many discussions in which the phrase PC is thrown around. Typically those who endorse or are otherwise unaffected by the issue take the stance of indifference, while those who are effected take it seriously.

    I think your example is more than sufficient. That along with the Washington Redskins kind of 'namby pamby' crying makes me sad, compared to serious offenses.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #57
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think your example is more than sufficient. That along with the Washington Redskins kind of 'namby pamby' crying makes me sad, compared to serious offenses.
    People not wanting their race to be used as a mascot and people addressing racial prejudices in a cartoon makes you sad?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Except that is not always the case. I'd say it's rarely the case and if the shoe fits then wear it. You watered it down to fit your narrative bu t-

    If you are criticizing a culture of a race for issues that exist in all races including your own, but you refuse to acknowledge that. Then yeah you may be racist. If you want ot say things like "Black are violent, I'm just calling a spade a spade." but then are full of excuses, special pleading, and qualifiers when someone points out Russian thugs kicking the homeless, kidnapping and beating homosexuals, and targeting non Russians in violent hate crimes, then there is something amiss in your perception of the world around you.

    I've addressed you on this and you gave a flippant response a long time ago. You have been given source by multiple people that explains homosexuality. Sources from legitimate experts on the topic. But you only care for your own sources that perpetuate your confirmed bias. You refuse to see anything beyond that as legitimate. And the only thing I have ever seen you give any ounce of credibility to are sources that allow to continue to see homosexuals as "weird" and "questionable". It does seem homophobic, because - to me at least, it's an irrational conclusion you keep coming to in face of all the contradictory evidence.



    Well if you strip away all the causing factors for such behaviors that are rampant in impoverished areas, then yeah. Your argument is overly simplified and seems to be stemming from a place of privilege.
    And when someone points out simple facts, like how the prevailing "black culture's" aversion to marriage, fidelity, employment, and legal authority results in the highest poverty, unemployment, unwed single mother, STD, abortion, murder, death, violent crime, and incarceration rates of any demographic group in the entire country?

    How about that?

    Oh, wait. I forgot. No one's allowed to talk about that, because it's racist.

    All we're expected to do is keep our mouths shut, feel guilty about slavery, and endlessly throw money at the issue through ever-expanding entitlement programs that accomplish exactly jack sh*t to address the actual root causes of the problem (while providing Leftists with a fanatical block of dependent low information supporters willing to vote for them come Hell or high-water, of course ).

    Don't forget about the coup de gras of the whole thing either.

    "If you dislike the policies of the Obama Administration, it's just because you're racist!"

    Again, these are rhetorical devices more than anything else. They are not meant to encourage rational discourse, but end it before it can even really get started.

  9. #59
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    People not wanting their race to be used as a mascot and people addressing racial prejudices in a cartoon makes you sad?

    Are you going to cry?

    Let me be PC for you... there, there I didn't mean to be a big old nasty.
    We'll censor ALL the cartoons that make any *hint* of perceived bias, because children will become racists.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #60
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Does it bother you if I say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas?
    I have to say it bothers me some.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •