View Poll Results: Is Political Correctness real?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes PC is real and is rampant. People are too sensitive.

    42 68.85%
  • Yes and No - It depends. (Explain in your post)

    11 18.03%
  • No PC is a made up escape goat. It is a catch phrase used to distract from a real issue.

    8 13.11%
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 267

Thread: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

  1. #191
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Our VA has several religious ornagizations go caroling every year. Whenever you read a "fox" story there is always a rest of the story.

    "In order to be respectful of our Veterans religious beliefs, all donated holiday cards are reviewed by a multi-disciplinary team of staff led by Chaplaincy services and determined if they are appropriate (non-religious) to freely distribute to patients. After the review is complete, the holiday cards that reference religious and/or secular tones are then distributed by Chaplaincy Service on a one-on-one basis if the patient agrees to the religious reference in the holiday card donation. The holiday cards that do not contain religious and/or secular tones are distributed freely to patients across the Health Care System. We regret this process was not fully explained to this group and apologize for any misunderstanding."
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative65 View Post
    While it may not be specifically Merry Christmas, there are plenty of examples where things have been done related to the religion associated with Christmas:

    Student Suspended for Saying
    Notice the reason the teacher gave related to religion

    VA hospital refuses to accept 'Merry Christmas' cards | Fox News

    Same as telling someone not to say it.

    How many businesses have restricted their employees from saying it because someone might get offended?
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  2. #192
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. Who defines what is "excessive", "realistic", "overly severe", and "self righteous"? Every individual decides that for themselves. Because of that, this concept of "political correctness" you speak of is not a fact. It is a theory. It is a theory that neither you nor any of its proponents have been able to successfully defend to the point of reversing behavior. In that sense, it is also a failed theory.

    2. You say that there is pressure to limit freedom of expression to "an uncommonly high standard." Whose freedom are you speaking about? I ask because, until recently, it was a common standard to limit the freedom of people of color, women, same-sex couples and other marginalized groups to the point that they would be jailed, assaulted or murdered for simply looking at the wrong person. Efforts that are criticized as "politically correct" don't, as a rule, want that to happen so, unless you're being hyperbolic, you're argument doesn't hold water.

    3. You also say that "public opinion and standard don't meet with realistic expectations." What expectations are you talking about here? From what I see, those who are denigrated as "politically correct" usually expect an increase in the amount of respect paid to them by society. The expectations have been met pretty regularly despite being insulted by people like you.

    Ultimately, this theory of political correctness does nothing more than favor privilege over marginalization. The people who complain about "political correctness" are usually right-leaning white people, men or straight people who are uncomfortable with attempts by people of color, women and gay people to influence the language that society uses to speak about them.

    1. That first line of definition, with the term 'excessive' was from Wiki, not me. According to your definition of 'political correctness' every subject is a matter of opinion, subjective and theory, including bigotry. The PC phrase wouldn't be used so often in context if it weren't based in some form of realty or without meaning.

    2. I believe most public figures and anyone with access to an audience are being pressured to an unrealistic and one sided standard, especially white men who're are heterosexual or black male conservatives, but nobody is completely excluded. If ever a line of hyperbole were ever being used, it's this comment by you: "..until recently, it was a common standard to limit the freedom of people of color, women, same-sex couples and other marginalized groups to the point that they would be jailed, assaulted or murdered for simply looking at the wrong person." How recently have you seen these groups being jailed, assaulted and murdered for merely looking at the wrong person? Sure they weren't doing more than eyeballing? That doesn't hold water.

    3. The unrealistic expectations are from the public, in knowing the difference from slips of the tongue, from those repeatedly expressing negative opinions. If people overreact in severity to someones thoughts and words, there's no chance of ever rationally correcting them in a civil manner. It simply reenforces their hateful thoughts and makes them express their views in lockstep platitudes as sheep, instead of saying what's really on their mind. You wind up with a group think of phonies, afraid to express their true opinions.

    Nobody here is advocating the denigration of minority groups but to try and force people into speaking only the pretty, instead of expressing their heart felt views doesn't lead to the just and utopian society that you envision. It actually will do the opposite of causing frustration, deeper and more serious divisions, which shouldn't be the goal. Pushing an agenda of socialistic thought control has historically never been proven to be a winner.



    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Oh yeah....


    Here's an example. In this city 'causes' as in not for profit enterprises are allowed to buy permits to stand on the street and hawk their cause. Most are lefty crap, some **** about "I'm a Girl" and always some environmental outfit. I call it guerrilla marketing and it's rude. They are usually obnoxious, will yell at you across the sidewalk etc.

    They have that right?

    So, when called on by this dude, I engaged. "Are you are seeking my attention for the purposes of a dialogue?" "Yes, are you familiar.....?"
    "No, and I do not give a fiddler's ****. I am here to dialogue about the fact you hit on me in a rude and offensive fashion. Let us deal with that."
    The "conversation" soon became heightened as this rude young woman took offense at the words "hit on" as she saw it as a sexual reference. Her issue was that her offense to me mattered not because she had a permit and I was sexist.

    My reply as I called city hall to report an abuse of their license was "there is no ****ing law in the world that gives you any rights more than a slithering slug to not be offended. I have freedom of speech and I exercise it now to say that your career was a low life guerrila marketer is about to be ended."

    Interestingly they are an outfit pushing fair treatment of women in the workplace, one of the biggest PC outfits around. What is politically correct in standing on a sidewalk and yelling at passersby?

    The PC often practice a double standard, but see themselves as the oppressed underdog fighting for equality, as long as it means they're treated with superiority.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #193
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,391

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    1. That first line of definition, with the term 'excessive' was from Wiki, not me. According to your definition of 'political correctness' every subject is a matter of opinion, subjective and theory, including bigotry. The PC phrase wouldn't be used so often in context if it weren't based in some form of realty or without meaning.

    2. I believe most public figures and anyone with access to an audience are being pressured to an unrealistic and one sided standard, especially white men who're are heterosexual or black male conservatives, but nobody is completely excluded. If ever a line of hyperbole were ever being used, it's this comment by you: "..until recently, it was a common standard to limit the freedom of people of color, women, same-sex couples and other marginalized groups to the point that they would be jailed, assaulted or murdered for simply looking at the wrong person." How recently have you seen these groups being jailed, assaulted and murdered for merely looking at the wrong person? Sure they weren't doing more than eyeballing? That doesn't hold water.

    3. The unrealistic expectations are from the public, in knowing the difference from slips of the tongue, from those repeatedly expressing negative opinions. If people overreact in severity to someones thoughts and words, there's no chance of ever rationally correcting them in a civil manner. It simply reenforces their hateful thoughts and makes them express their views in lockstep platitudes as sheep, instead of saying what's really on their mind. You wind up with a group think of phonies, afraid to express their true opinions.

    Nobody here is advocating the denigration of minority groups but to try and force people into speaking only the pretty, instead of expressing their heart felt views doesn't lead to the just and utopian society that you envision. It actually will do the opposite of causing frustration, deeper and more serious divisions, which shouldn't be the goal. Pushing an agenda of socialistic thought control has historically never been proven to be a winner.






    The PC often practice a double standard, but see themselves as the oppressed underdog fighting for equality, as long as it means they're treated with superiority.


    Not will do harm, but has done harm.

    When you edit such works as Tom Sawyer to remove "offensive" words including "slave" you alter the perception of history. Once removed the world will forget slavery and how minorities were treated then opening the door to it happening again. It is one of the reasons our government has funded a memorial to the Japanese Canadians who were sent to concentration camps in WWII; the same reason Auschwitz has been made into a museum.

    Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it. One should be offended at the words in Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn, but at the social milieu that was the norm at the time.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  4. #194
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Not will do harm, but has done harm.

    When you edit such works as Tom Sawyer to remove "offensive" words including "slave" you alter the perception of history. Once removed the world will forget slavery and how minorities were treated then opening the door to it happening again. It is one of the reasons our government has funded a memorial to the Japanese Canadians who were sent to concentration camps in WWII; the same reason Auschwitz has been made into a museum.

    Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it. One should be offended at the words in Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn, but at the social milieu that was the norm at the time.
    I find this redefining of history a particularly disturbing method of teaching and thought control. Notably, much of our history beyond written records is potentially skewed somewhat, but it's still much more accurate than politically reinterpreting events to meet a certain criteria and agenda. We're lost enough socially about our priorities and values, we don't need to confuse the issues further with intentional fabrications.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #195
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Considerate speech? Is that what you call it when it is designed to silence another from speaking what they actually think?
    You've a misunderstanding of what PC is. In some kind of sick twist, you've perverted the idea into mind control. That's sad.

  6. #196
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,089

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative65 View Post
    While it may not be specifically Merry Christmas, there are plenty of examples where things have been done related to the religion associated with Christmas:

    Student Suspended for Saying
    Notice the reason the teacher gave related to religion

    VA hospital refuses to accept 'Merry Christmas' cards | Fox News

    Same as telling someone not to say it.

    How many businesses have restricted their employees from saying it because someone might get offended?
    From the link about the VA Hospital:

    Boys and girls at Grace Academy in Prosper, Tex., spent most of last Friday making homemade Christmas cards for bedridden veterans at the VA hospital in Dallas.

    Fourth-grader Gracie Brown was especially proud of her card, hoping it would “make their day because their family might live far away, and they might not have somebody to celebrate Christmas with.”










    “I’d like them to know they’ve not been forgotten and somebody wanted to say thank you,” Gracie told MyFoxDFW.com.

    Gracie’s card read, “Merry Christmas. Thank you for your service.” It also included an American flag.

    But the bedridden veterans at the VA hospital will never get to see Gracie’s card. Nor will they see the cards made by 51 other students. That’s because the Christmas cards violated VA policy.


    later from the link:

    A VA official quoted the policy which is in the Veterans Health Administration handbook:

    "In order to be respectful of our veterans' religious beliefs, all donated holiday cards are reviewed by a multi-disciplinary team of staff led by chaplaincy services and determined if they are appropriate (non-religious) to freely distribute to patients. We regret this process was not fully explained to this group and apologize for any misunderstanding."


    Please tell me that's a joke. I feel sick,

  7. #197
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,391

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I find this redefining of history a particularly disturbing method of teaching and thought control. Notably, much of our history beyond written records is potentially skewed somewhat, but it's still much more accurate than politically reinterpreting events to meet a certain criteria and agenda. We're lost enough socially about our priorities and values, we don't need to confuse the issues further with intentional fabrications.
    That's exactly what it is, rewriting of history. Just like the Japanese have eradicated their history of slaughter against their natives, the progressives are trying to do it here.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  8. #198
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    That's exactly what it is, rewriting of history. Just like the Japanese have eradicated their history of slaughter against their natives, the progressives are trying to do it here.

    A little ideology is not inherently a bad thing, but taken to partisan and emotional extremes it's very similar to religious zealotry.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #199
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    From the link about the VA Hospital:

    Boys and girls at Grace Academy in Prosper, Tex., spent most of last Friday making homemade Christmas cards for bedridden veterans at the VA hospital in Dallas.

    Fourth-grader Gracie Brown was especially proud of her card, hoping it would “make their day because their family might live far away, and they might not have somebody to celebrate Christmas with.”

    so they do all get passed out. And there really is even more to this story.

    Think about this, what you think if the local Mosque passed out holiday cards to the veterans thanking Allah for their service?










    “I’d like them to know they’ve not been forgotten and somebody wanted to say thank you,” Gracie told MyFoxDFW.com.

    Gracie’s card read, “Merry Christmas. Thank you for your service.” It also included an American flag.

    But the bedridden veterans at the VA hospital will never get to see Gracie’s card. Nor will they see the cards made by 51 other students. That’s because the Christmas cards violated VA policy.


    later from the link:

    A VA official quoted the policy which is in the Veterans Health Administration handbook:

    "In order to be respectful of our veterans' religious beliefs, all donated holiday cards are reviewed by a multi-disciplinary team of staff led by chaplaincy services and determined if they are appropriate (non-religious) to freely distribute to patients. We regret this process was not fully explained to this group and apologize for any misunderstanding."


    Please tell me that's a joke. I feel sick,
    No, it is not a joke, it is Faux spin. From Fox's article (the rest of the story, as it were) "distributed by Chaplaincy Service on a one-on-one basis if the patient agrees to the religious reference in the holiday card donation."
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  10. #200
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,089

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    No, it is not a joke, it is Faux spin. From Fox's article (the rest of the story, as it were) "distributed by Chaplaincy Service on a one-on-one basis if the patient agrees to the religious reference in the holiday card donation."
    No, it's not a "Faux spin". It's the VA's policy. And it's a ridiculous one, unless Christmas ceased to be a national holiday.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •