View Poll Results: Is Political Correctness real?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes PC is real and is rampant. People are too sensitive.

    42 68.85%
  • Yes and No - It depends. (Explain in your post)

    11 18.03%
  • No PC is a made up escape goat. It is a catch phrase used to distract from a real issue.

    8 13.11%
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 267

Thread: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

  1. #181
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Political correctness is the position of being excessively careful not to offend any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage. So, in this definition, it's definitely associated with public pressure to limit freedom of expression to an uncommonly high standard. The problems begin to arise when the public opinion and standard, don't meet with realistic expectations, and where the punishment is overly severe because of group self righteousness.

    PC is more about appearances and phony hypocrisy than about reality.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #182
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    There are times when society should be more polite/politically correct, but for each example of that, there are many examples of people who simply want to be offended so they can rationalize saying bad things about innocent people.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Political correctness is the position of being excessively careful not to offend any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage. So, in this definition, it's definitely associated with public pressure to limit freedom of expression to an uncommonly high standard. The problems begin to arise when the public opinion and standard, don't meet with realistic expectations, and where the punishment is overly severe because of group self righteousness.

    PC is more about appearances and phony hypocrisy than about reality.
    1. Who defines what is "excessive", "realistic", "overly severe", and "self righteous"? Every individual decides that for themselves. Because of that, this concept of "political correctness" you speak of is not a fact. It is a theory. It is a theory that neither you nor any of its proponents have been able to successfully defend to the point of reversing behavior. In that sense, it is also a failed theory.

    2. You say that there is pressure to limit freedom of expression to "an uncommonly high standard." Whose freedom are you speaking about? I ask because, until recently, it was a common standard to limit the freedom of people of color, women, same-sex couples and other marginalized groups to the point that they would be jailed, assaulted or murdered for simply looking at the wrong person. Efforts that are criticized as "politically correct" don't, as a rule, want that to happen so, unless you're being hyperbolic, you're argument doesn't hold water.

    3. You also say that "public opinion and standard don't meet with realistic expectations." What expectations are you talking about here? From what I see, those who are denigrated as "politically correct" usually expect an increase in the amount of respect paid to them by society. The expectations have been met pretty regularly despite being insulted by people like you.

    Ultimately, this theory of political correctness does nothing more than favor privilege over marginalization. The people who complain about "political correctness" are usually right-leaning white people, men or straight people who are uncomfortable with attempts by people of color, women and gay people to influence the language that society uses to speak about them.

  4. #184
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Some things are offensive regardless of their context. Like most people, I say things sometimes that some might consider offensive, but I don't bitch about the "PC Culture" or "PC Police" if someone is offended by it.
    Well, I suppose that could be true, that some things are offensive regardless.

    However, when the context is a complete fabrication of the truth, it becomes a weapon, which is a problem. That is where we are today, and those who participate in the intellectually vacant effort should be ashamed.

  5. #185
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,458

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Political correctness is the position of being excessively careful not to offend any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage. So, in this definition, it's definitely associated with public pressure to limit freedom of expression to an uncommonly high standard. The problems begin to arise when the public opinion and standard, don't meet with realistic expectations, and where the punishment is overly severe because of group self righteousness.

    PC is more about appearances and phony hypocrisy than about reality.
    Oh yeah....


    Here's an example. In this city 'causes' as in not for profit enterprises are allowed to buy permits to stand on the street and hawk their cause. Most are lefty crap, some **** about "I'm a Girl" and always some environmental outfit. I call it guerrilla marketing and it's rude. They are usually obnoxious, will yell at you across the sidewalk etc.

    They have that right?

    So, when called on by this dude, I engaged. "Are you are seeking my attention for the purposes of a dialogue?" "Yes, are you familiar.....?"
    "No, and I do not give a fiddler's ****. I am here to dialogue about the fact you hit on me in a rude and offensive fashion. Let us deal with that."
    The "conversation" soon became heightened as this rude young woman took offense at the words "hit on" as she saw it as a sexual reference. Her issue was that her offense to me mattered not because she had a permit and I was sexist.

    My reply as I called city hall to report an abuse of their license was "there is no ****ing law in the world that gives you any rights more than a slithering slug to not be offended. I have freedom of speech and I exercise it now to say that your career was a low life guerrila marketer is about to be ended."

    Interestingly they are an outfit pushing fair treatment of women in the workplace, one of the biggest PC outfits around. What is politically correct in standing on a sidewalk and yelling at passersby?
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Does it bother you if I say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas?
    You can say what you want. Unlike those who get their panties in a wad when someone say Merry Christman, I don't care what you say or if you say anything at all. What I do care about is when those that get butt hurt hearing the word Christmas make an effort to have it where it can't or shouldn't be said. They are the ones I don't have a problem offending.

  7. #187
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    I have been a fed at some level or other since 1980. Every Christmas I probably say Merry Chirstmas a thousnd times, so do the math, geeze probably 34,000 times. Not once has someone said anything about it. Not once, not anywhere, not ever. Who is it that really, in real life has a problem with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative65 View Post
    You can say what you want. Unlike those who get their panties in a wad when someone say Merry Christman, I don't care what you say or if you say anything at all. What I do care about is when those that get butt hurt hearing the word Christmas make an effort to have it where it can't or shouldn't be said. They are the ones I don't have a problem offending.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Interesting what you can learn from what some people might call a dumbass redneck over a drink or two. From what I've seen, most of them are just regular people, at heart.

    They just didn't grow up in leafy suburbs, with Mummy boasting to everyone about how they were only four, but already were learning French from flash cards and had a taste for Camembert. And Daddy wasn't asking them if they'd rather have the BMW or the trip to Europe as a high school graduation present. More likely, they grew up eating fried baloney sandwiches and wondering if they'd get swatted after Daddy had had a few.

    It's not saying considerate things that bothers me. We should all do that. It's self-righteous control freaks who want to coerce other people into not saying inconsiderate things that bothers me. I don't like the fact some people have bigoted views, either--but God damn it all, I will always defend their right to have them. We don't punish thoughts in this county, and within broad limits, we don't punish unpopular speech, either.

    The way for fair people to deal with bigots is not to make up a bunch of coercive rules about what they can and can't say. It's to try to reason with them, first--and if that fails, to refuse to talk with them, or have anything to do with them. Ostracism can be a very effective moral sanction.
    Reasoning with people and then avoiding them (or boycotting if it is a business) is all that is done or advocated in the USA outside of the workplace. At work and within institutions people are required to treat their co-workers, clients and vendors respectfully, to avoid conflicts and lawsuits among many other good reasons. That is all so-called 'political correctness' is doing, but it is still enough to make some people feel oppressed. It is a bogus right-wing media generated issue intended to get gullible people outraged and improve ratings so advertising rates can be increased.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I have been a fed at some level or other since 1980. Every Christmas I probably say Merry Chirstmas a thousnd times, so do the math, geeze probably 34,000 times. Not once has someone said anything about it. Not once, not anywhere, not ever. Who is it that really, in real life has a problem with this?
    While it may not be specifically Merry Christmas, there are plenty of examples where things have been done related to the religion associated with Christmas:

    Student Suspended for Saying
    Notice the reason the teacher gave related to religion

    VA hospital refuses to accept 'Merry Christmas' cards | Fox News

    Same as telling someone not to say it.

    How many businesses have restricted their employees from saying it because someone might get offended?

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: "Politcal Correctness" - False Victim hood or Real issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. Who defines what is "excessive", "realistic", "overly severe", and "self righteous"? Every individual decides that for themselves. Because of that, this concept of "political correctness" you speak of is not a fact. It is a theory. It is a theory that neither you nor any of its proponents have been able to successfully defend to the point of reversing behavior. In that sense, it is also a failed theory.

    2. You say that there is pressure to limit freedom of expression to "an uncommonly high standard." Whose freedom are you speaking about? I ask because, until recently, it was a common standard to limit the freedom of people of color, women, same-sex couples and other marginalized groups to the point that they would be jailed, assaulted or murdered for simply looking at the wrong person. Efforts that are criticized as "politically correct" don't, as a rule, want that to happen so, unless you're being hyperbolic, you're argument doesn't hold water.

    3. You also say that "public opinion and standard don't meet with realistic expectations." What expectations are you talking about here? From what I see, those who are denigrated as "politically correct" usually expect an increase in the amount of respect paid to them by society. The expectations have been met pretty regularly despite being insulted by people like you.

    Ultimately, this theory of political correctness does nothing more than favor privilege over marginalization. The people who complain about "political correctness" are usually right-leaning white people, men or straight people who are uncomfortable with attempts by people of color, women and gay people to influence the language that society uses to speak about them.
    I think we have a perfect definition of political correctness within your post "attempts by minorities and/or oppressed or marginalized people to influence the language that society uses to speak about them."

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •