View Poll Results: Ebola in the US?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Significant outbreak.

    5 20.83%
  • Few cases possible.

    19 79.17%
  • None at all.

    1 4.17%
  • Don't know.

    0 0%
  • Other.

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Ebola, will the US get it?

  1. #21
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Let me ask you...where do you think that action...stopping them...needs to happen?
    Oh, I suppose similar to the way they screen passports from potential terrorist regions.

    Is the info below relevant, highly probable.


    The patient, a man, walked into an emergency room at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas on September 26. A nurse asked him for his travel history while he was in the emergency room, and the patient said he had traveled to Africa, said Dr. Mark Lester, executive vice president of Texas Health Resources.

    But that information was not "fully communicated" to the medical team, Lester said.

    The man, who had just flown from Liberia to the United States, underwent basic blood tests, but not an Ebola screening, and was sent home with antibiotics, said Dr. Edward Goodman with Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. Two days later, on September 28, the man returned to the facility, where it was determined that he probably had Ebola. He was then isolated. He tested positive for the virus Tuesday, health officials said.

    Texas Ebola patient came into contact with children - CNN.com
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #22
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Oh, I suppose similar to the way they screen passports from potential terrorist regions.

    Is the info below relevant, highly probable.
    Where are you screening them and who is doing the screening?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #23
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Where are you screening them and who is doing the screening?
    The same people who already screen airport security, the TSA. It's not fool proof, but it's better than allowing non restricted travel from disease stricken areas. Even if they come from Europe on a hop over from Africa, their passports will have a record of it.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #24
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    The same people who already screen airport security, the TSA. It's not fool proof, but it's better than allowing non restricted travel from disease stricken areas. Even if they come from Europe on a hop over from Africa, their passports will have a record of it.
    Do they have a "TSA" in Africa? Are they any more competent than the TSA here? I doubt it, their bureaucracies, corruption, and nepotism are historically horrendous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #25
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Do they have a "TSA" in Africa? Are they any more competent than the TSA here? I doubt it, their bureaucracies, corruption, and nepotism are historically horrendous.
    Every airport usually has some sort of security, and our TSA doesn't have to allow certain flights or passengers into the US.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #26
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Every airport usually has some sort of security, and our TSA doesn't have to allow certain flights or passengers into the US.
    Are you going to trust the airport staffs of those nations, that was my question.

    And it doesnt matter much what our TSA does. By then it's too late. Once everyone is on that plane, they have the potential to be exposed and be carriers.

    So they need to be stopped before boarding. (Actually sooner than that but let's stick with that). Otherwise our TSA is turning around a plane with loads of Americans on it or not allowing all those Americans to disembark when they get here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #27
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Are you going to trust the airport staffs of those nations, that was my question.

    And it doesnt matter much what our TSA does. By then it's too late. Once everyone is on that plane, they have the potential to be exposed and be carriers.

    So they need to be stopped before boarding. (Actually sooner than that but let's stick with that). Otherwise our TSA is turning around a plane with loads of Americans on it or not allowing all those Americans to disembark when they get here.
    All we have to do is impose a restriction for all flights from African nations affected with Ebola, or anyone who's passport shows they've recently been there. It's not rocket science, and our border control at the airports would be the best place to control entry.

    As it stands, they're only preventing people who show symptoms, and that's not something security is even trained to do.



    Roughly 13,500 people from the Ebola-stricken countries of Sierra Leon, Guinea and Liberia have visas to visit the United States, according to federal data.

    The data doesn’t show how many of those people are already in the United States, but visitors from those countries should be excluded until they can show they’re free of Ebola, said Jennifer Vaughan, policy director at the Center for Immigration Studies, a group that pushes for low-scale immigration.

    “It would be reasonable [for the president] to designate Ebola as a communicable disease of public health significance. That would enable the State Department to impose tighter restrictions on visitors” from countries with Ebola outbreaks, she said.

    Under current policies, only people with obvious Ebola symptoms are excluded by border officials. But a person can be infected with the disease, and not show any symptoms, for up to 21 days.

    13,500 US Visas Given To People in Three Ebola Countries | The Daily Caller
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #28
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    All we have to do is impose a restriction for all flights from African nations affected with Ebola, or anyone who's passport shows they've recently been there. It's not rocket science, and our border control at the airports would be the best place to control entry.

    As it stands, they're only preventing people who show symptoms, and that's not something security is even trained to do.
    What about the Americans over there? How do they get back? And if they go thru Europe or Asia...Americans or Africans....then what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #29
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What about the Americans over there? How do they get back? And if they go thru Europe or Asia...Americans or Africans....then what?
    Wait till they're cleared from being sick or brought back into quarantine.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #30
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Ebola, will the US get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Wait till they're cleared from being sick or brought back into quarantine.
    Who will be clearing them or quarantining them in other countries?

    Or are we doing this with entire planeloads here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •