View Poll Results: Yes or no?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 66.67%
  • No

    3 33.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Chromosomes and sport.

  1. #21
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    So why, in this case, is genotype more definitive than phenotype?
    Genotype is the core genetic make-up of a person.

    Phenotype is simply how they look.

    When defining the sex BY FACT you must "report the source with the highest authority" which in this case is someone's genotype.

    Take the best example possible, a transgender.

    If a man has transgender surgery and becomes a woman we refer to him as a woman. However, scientifically speaking, the man still has X and Y chromosomes which means he is in fact, still a man.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  2. #22
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Genotype is the core genetic make-up of a person.

    Phenotype is simply how they look.

    When defining the sex BY FACT you must "report the source with the highest authority" which in this case is someone's genotype.

    Take the best example possible, a transgender.

    If a man has transgender surgery and becomes a woman we refer to him as a woman. However, scientifically speaking, the man still has X and Y chromosomes which means he is in fact, still a man.
    Am I a ginger because I carry the genes for red hair, even though my phenotype is blonde? For Turtle Dude's friend, why is the Y chromosome more of a determinant than a functioning vagina and ovaries?

    Genotype represents an extent of possibilities, phenotype is what a person actually is.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #23
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Am I a ginger because I carry the genes for red hair, even though my phenotype is blonde? For Turtle Dude's friend, why is the Y chromosome more of a determinant than a functioning vagina and ovaries?

    Genotype represents an extent of possibilities, phenotype is what a person actually is.
    "As the resulting individual possesses at least one Y chromosome, they are typically considered genetically male, although the phenotype can be male, female or intersex."

    Wikipedia take it with a grain of salt, it's the page on Klinefelter's syndrome (XXY).

    If you have a Y chromosome you are genetically a man no matter what your phenotype is.

    EDIT

    As I think about it you're wrong on what genotype and phenotype are. Genotype isn't possibility range. You have genes for havnig red hair but you are NOT a ginger because you have DOMINANT genes for blond hair. Your genotype didn't have a list of possibilities, it specifically stated you would be blonde. WHAT IS A POSSIBILITY is the gene you pass down to your offspring. Phenotype is the physical representation of someone's genotype, the GENOTYPE is what the person ACTUALLY IS.
    Last edited by Luftwaffe; 09-29-14 at 09:41 AM.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    This is what you think about in the day?

  5. #25
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Yes, because it's a flipping game and does not matter at all.

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    As I think about it you're wrong on what genotype and phenotype are. Genotype isn't possibility range. You have genes for havnig red hair but you are NOT a ginger because you have DOMINANT genes for blond hair. Your genotype didn't have a list of possibilities, it specifically stated you would be blonde. WHAT IS A POSSIBILITY is the gene you pass down to your offspring. Phenotype is the physical representation of someone's genotype, the GENOTYPE is what the person ACTUALLY IS.
    I'm not a ginger because the blonde gene was expressed. If an individual with Klinefelters syndrome has all the phenotypical traits of a female, because the extra Y chromosome was not expressed, then they're female in exactly the same way I'm a blonde because the blonde gene was expressed.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #27
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    I'm not a ginger because the blonde gene was expressed. If an individual with Klinefelters syndrome has all the phenotypical traits of a female, because the extra Y chromosome was not expressed, then they're female in exactly the same way I'm a blonde because the blonde gene was expressed.
    Again, refer to the quote, and Turtledude has provided 0 evidence as to the physical look of this man (including genitalia, from head to toe we know nothing of him) to back you up so as far as this statement goes, it's complete conjecture (not that it matters given the fact that Y chromosome = male).
    Last edited by Luftwaffe; 09-29-14 at 06:08 PM.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  8. #28
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Depends on the details of the effects of the disorder.

  9. #29
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Too many variables for me to give a blanket yes or no answer.

  10. #30
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Chromosomes and sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Genotype is the core genetic make-up of a person.

    Phenotype is simply how they look.

    When defining the sex BY FACT you must "report the source with the highest authority" which in this case is someone's genotype.

    Take the best example possible, a transgender.
    No, it's not quite that simple. An XY organism can develop essentially as a female. It's called androgen-insensitivity-syndrome in humans. Basically, an XY organism has all the genetic code necessary to develop as female. In fact, female is the default path of development in mammals, a path which is only interrupted by the introduction of androgens (male hormones) at the right time. In people affected by AIS their cells simply do not respond to the androgens. So they continue developing on as females. Externally their body is indistinguishable from an XX female. Generally, the disorder is never even recognized until they reach puberty and discover that they don't menstruate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •