View Poll Results: What Should We Do To End The Terror War?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • The West is doing the right thing.

    6 8.82%
  • We need more WAAAUGH! We need to bomb more! Boots on the ground!

    6 8.82%
  • The West needs to change their foreign policy. Stop meddling in other countries.

    38 55.88%
  • Other

    18 26.47%
Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 463

Thread: How Do We End The War on Terror?

  1. #311
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Thank you Monte,

    I think that the tight dictating power of a dictator mirrors the tight foreign power enforced upon them. The more the people distance themselves from the dictator the less the dictator has their support to counter such forceful influences. Eventually the majority may want the dictator gone.

    At such point we as "heroes" step in and eliminate the cruel dictator. Hence, being a dictator never pays off. It is a lose or eventually lose situation.
    That makes no sense to me whatsoever DDD! Except the part that people (presumably those living under a dictator) would like the dictator to be gone. But none of that speaks to my point that "US interests" (which is primarily business) drives foreign policy and not the facades of humanitarianism, international law/norms or sovereign borders. The US has and is, at the expense of citizens living under them supported dictatorships because it was beneficial to US business or other interests. Only on the occasions that those interests were/are better served by said dictator being removed, do we have the government begin talking about how horrible they are and ginning up support for regime change.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #312
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That makes no sense to me whatsoever DDD!
    Ask me questions then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Except the part that people (presumably those living under a dictator) would like the dictator to be gone. But none of that speaks to my point that "US interests" (which is primarily business) drives foreign policy and not the facades of humanitarianism, international law/norms or sovereign borders. The US has and is, at the expense of citizens living under them supported dictatorships because it was beneficial to US business or other interests. Only on the occasions that those interests were/are better served by said dictator being removed, do we have the government begin talking about how horrible they are and ginning up support for regime change.
    It is not how it appears from here. The US foreign interest are about cooperation. The US supports any government as long as it has no extreme ideology (i.e., Nazism, Religious State, etc).

    Among various leaders in the political spectrum a dictator in some countries rises and the US supports them too. Whenever the public has had it with them and they start a full blown attack against the dictator then the US kicks those down (assuming again that they are not extremes).

    Whichever the leader the foreign policy assures cooperation. But for the sake of both the people and the dictator, it had better be not be a dictatorship.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  3. #313
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Okay, but why stop only at one religion? Why not eliminate them all then?
    Start with the most immediate threat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #314
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Start with the most immediate threat?
    And end with which religion?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  5. #315
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Endless war is never easy. In fact its downright impossible to win it...
    That's why unleash hell on the enemy and destroy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #316
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's why unleash hell on the enemy and destroy them.
    Bush tried that with Al Qaeda, and they're as strong as ever, arguably stronger.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #317
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Bush tried that with Al Qaeda, and they're as strong as ever, arguably stronger.
    Tried what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Is your position that of promoting pro-dictatorship?
    No I'm saying that the USA should not try to take down every evil dictator in the world. Saddam's cruelty as a dictator is now being used, after the fact, to justify the bombing, invasion and occupation of Iraq beginning in 2003, but that was not a an important reason used to sell us the war in 2002-2003, it was about a false connection with Al Qaeda and non-existent WMDs.

  9. #319
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,944

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's why unleash hell on the enemy and destroy them.
    Thats what we are doing arent we?

  10. #320
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    No I'm saying that the USA should not try to take down every evil dictator in the world. Saddam's cruelty as a dictator is now being used, after the fact, to justify the bombing, invasion and occupation of Iraq beginning in 2003, but that was not a an important reason used to sell us the war in 2002-2003, it was about a false connection with Al Qaeda and non-existent WMDs.
    Well I think your President made the right choice in liberating Iraqi's from Saddam. If he had to lie to you guys on the real reasons why he had to do it just to back him up, then I think the ends justify the means.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •