View Poll Results: What Should We Do To End The Terror War?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • The West is doing the right thing.

    6 8.82%
  • We need more WAAAUGH! We need to bomb more! Boots on the ground!

    6 8.82%
  • The West needs to change their foreign policy. Stop meddling in other countries.

    38 55.88%
  • Other

    18 26.47%
Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 463

Thread: How Do We End The War on Terror?

  1. #151
    Professor
    oneworld2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    3.Norway Faces Terror Attack From Group Linked To Extremists In Syria, Officials Warn

    Is the same as link two ,no further comment needed

    4. This incident actually took place in Algeria at a time of the civil war there in 1994 which predates the war on terror announced by Bush. 9 people were injured 4 died , security forces stormed the plane. Do people really need to find out what the problem with the French is with some Algerians ?
    So once again it has no relevance to the statement and theme it is supposed to be tackling

    5. Now this was a significant attack , size wise ,but once again it doesn’t support the posters claims nor their position , in fact once again it is the opposite claim that it supports. It also predates , again , the war on terror

    The Khobar Towers are in Saudi Arabia who were right at the heart of the invasion of Iraq in 1991 [/b] and 19 of the 20 people killed were US air force personnel . That’s because the towers were being used to house US military personnel based in Saudi.

    Ive been through the first 5 links and not once do they confirm what the poster wanted to convey , in fact the confirm the opposition side or have little or no relevance to the theme they are supposed to be addressing

    TBH I can’t be bothered going through all of them. And I don’t dispute that some will have some merits but I have made a point that I think is important
    There never has been a peace process, but rather an annexation process that used the “peace process” as a facade

  2. #152
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneworld2 View Post
    A note to readers always , ALWAYS , go through these mass source propaganda type posts. You will be surprised what you find.

    Remember the incidents in the list are supposed to be a response to this statement

    " Funny, I haven't heard of any large Islamic attacks on Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg, The Bahamas and on and on "

    and are supposed to refute the charge that if you don't get involved in attacking other countries you are safer from attack than if you do

    here's the list again and my response will be , because of the sheer numbers/site word restrictions , carried out over a series of posts for reasons of clarity starting at the beginning



    1. 2010 Stockholm bombings

    Two bombs went off in the attacks carried out by a Muslim of Iraqi origin who had posted links to videos of Iraqi prisoner abuses ( presumably Abu Ghraib ) on his face book account. Before the bombs went off an email was sent to the Swedish authorities and a media outlet that stated the attack was a response to Swedish forces involvement in Afghanistan , it also stated “"Now your children, daughters and sisters will die in the same way our brothers and sisters die “

    The bomber himself was the only fatality with two people receiving minor injuries

    To conclude it was not a “ large scale “ attack . And it actually confirms the opposite of what the poster intended IE Swedish involvement in the war was what inspired it ( get used to the idea , it will appear again soon )


    2. Syrian Islamist group planning terror attack on Norway

    This second link doesn’t even refer to an attack that has occurred , it only refers to speculation that some Norwegian Muslims might plan stuff on their return from Syria where , you’ve guessed it , Western interference and that of its allies has accounted for much of the death and destruction there. If the US and others carry out the threat to extend bombing campaigns in Syria these people may well carry out their alleged plans.

    Once again this runs directly counter to the posters alleged assertion and is not proof of his claims anyhow
    It doesn't need to refer to an attack, the fact the Norwegian authorities claimed an attack was planned proves the threat is real and that was the point.
    Likewise the Stockholm bombings didn't need to be a large scale attack to show that the threat exists and in that case was followed through.

    One also needs to point out the fact that it only takes one case to prove it that it doesn't take an occupation or attacks on Islamic terrorists to draw their attacks.

    One will also point out you're the only propagandist here knowing you'd defend Islamic terrorism and spread anti-Western propaganda wherever you'd go.

    And you ain't the only one who can overuse the bold function.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #153
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneworld2 View Post
    Do people really need to find out what the problem with the French is with some Algerians ?
    This is your best justification for the terror attack on Air France?
    I expected more. What a failure.
    The French colonization of Algeria ended 32 years before the attack... so no.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #154
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Those three countries and many others are fighting Islamic seperatists and those groups havent attacked anyone outside of those countries. You know, like Hamas hasnt attacked the US either.

    So youre wrong again.
    I wasn't wrong to begin with, how can I be wrong again? How frustrating.
    Regardless your lack of ability to recognize the absurdity of the bollocks that are your claims is showing as has been shown before.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #155
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    This poll provides a classic example of how not to frame polling questions. In this case, four options are available:

    The question concerns what the West should do to end the war on terror. This question implies that the conclusion of this campaign is entirely up to the West. In fact, the various terrorist organizations ranging from Al Qaeda to ISIS have a lot of influence on this matter.

    The responses are also problematic. The first response is “The West is doing the right thing” without providing any specificity. The most one can attain from that response is that the ‘status quo” approach is correct, even as the approach has been evolving given the evolution of ISIS. In addition to the dynamism of the strategy, there is a lot of disagreement as to whether the current approach is too much or too little (or even too late). Hence, the way this response is framed is almost assured to generate very little support.

    The next response exaggerates among one of among a number of possible alternatives to the undefined first option. It transforms the use of combat troops into a larger issue of “we need more war.” Hence, this option has also been defined to generate little support.

    The third response connects two matters: Change and non-interventionism/neo-isolationism. While many would likely agree that a change in strategy is necessary, it is not clear that the non-interventionist/neo-isolationist option would generate much support on its own. Hence, the two are fused together. Couples with the framing of the working on the first two responses, the design almost certainly ensures that a plurality would support this response against two unattractive options.

    Such a skewed response is inconsistent with prevailing national attitudes. A recent Gallup Poll suggested that 81% of U.S. respondents felt that ISIS poses a critical (50%) or important (31% important but not critical) threat to the vital interests of the United States. (See Gallup Poll of September 20-21, 2014: Iraq). Ignoring such a threat (the non-interventionist/neo-isolationist approach) would not be a logical choice. A 9/12-15 CBS Poll (same website) revealed that 71% of Americans support U.S. airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq and 69% support airstrikes against ISIS in Syria. Moreover, that poll indicated that 57% felt that President Obama’s approach is not tough enough and 31% felt that it is about right. The “too tough” (closest analogy to the non-interventionist/neo-isolationist approach) option garnered 2% of respondents.

    The fourth is a fairly standard option. Normally, such an option would lag, but given the above problems and non-viable nature of non-interventionism/neo-isolationism, support would probably be elevated, but not to the extent that it would supersede the third option.

    All said, the above poll can only produce a skewed outcome that exaggerates support for the non-interventionist/neo-isolationist approach.

  6. #156
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    What Should We Do To End The Terror War?
    we should get out of the Middle East entirely and replace oil. we should also close all embassies in hostile regions.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I dont care how crazy Islamists live in their societies, when they are muslim societies, since that is a part of what has produced them, but they have brought it to western societies, and they are a scourge. Imo, it is a shame that we can't turn them into dust. Every single one.

    (And we aren't going to end this war, because we dont have the stomach to do what it takes)
    There is a reason that they have brought it to American shores, and they have been candid about it. But Americans deny the real reason in favor of a strawman.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #158
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    we should get out of the Middle East entirely and replace oil. we should also close all embassies in hostile regions.
    Although oil is the more popular topic when it comes to US involvement, it's also about standing by current allies in the region who stand to lose by our pulling out. And it's also about maintaining some semblance of a status quo in stability, especially with regards to when nuclear weapons finally arrive in the non-Israeli Middle East.

  9. #159
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Although oil is the more popular topic when it comes to US involvement, it's also about standing by current allies in the region who stand to lose by our pulling out. And it's also about maintaining some semblance of a status quo in stability, especially with regards to when nuclear weapons finally arrive in the non-Israeli Middle East.
    The regional powers need to act to bring stability to their own region. We cannot and should not attempt to do it for them.

  10. #160
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: How Do We End The War on Terror?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    The regional powers need to act to bring stability to their own region. We cannot and should not attempt to do it for them.
    Yes, and when/if we leave, they're going to achieve that "stability" any way they can, such as by acquiring nuclear weapons.

Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •