View Poll Results: Should parents have the ability to sue in the event of an adult child's death?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

    9 36.00%
  • Only in limited scenarios (please elaborate).

    11 44.00%
  • No, never.

    4 16.00%
  • Other.

    1 4.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: Should parents have legal standing and the ability to sue for damages...

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents have legal standing and the ability to sue for damages...

    Quote Originally Posted by USViking View Post
    I used to work in the insurance business, and IIRC common law originally provided
    no cause of action for wrongful death. IOW you had to pay up if you crippled someone,
    but not if you killed them, so... say you are operating a heavy vehicle, and run over
    a pedestrian. Well, back up and run over him again to make sure he is dead, and you
    are not liable for monetary damages !!!
    The penalty at common law for killing someone in the manner you describe was much worse than monetary damages.

  2. #42
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Should parents have legal standing and the ability to sue for damages...

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    The penalty at common law for killing someone in the manner you describe was much worse than monetary damages.
    Only if someone sees you do it, and either way you would not be financially liable for any civil claims absent a wrongful death statute.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents have legal standing and the ability to sue for damages...

    Quote Originally Posted by USViking View Post
    Only if someone sees you do it, and either way you would not be financially liable for any civil claims absent a wrongful death statute.
    And you shouldn't be, since the victim cannot be compensated.

  4. #44
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Should parents have legal standing and the ability to sue for damages...

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    And you shouldn't be, since the victim cannot be compensated.
    Any family member may be presumed to be a victim due to the loss of a loved one,
    and any person who loses a means of financial support is also a victim. If you can't
    go along with something that basic then there is something wrong with you, and I
    do not wish to discuss it further.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should parents have legal standing and the ability to sue for damages...

    Quote Originally Posted by USViking View Post
    Any family member may be presumed to be a victim due to the loss of a loved one,
    and any person who loses a means of financial support is also a victim. If you can't
    go along with something that basic then there is something wrong with you, and I
    do not wish to discuss it further.
    Ad hominem.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •