View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 970 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #961
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The only reason that anyone wants to tout a border fence is to fool the public into thinking that they're really serious about ending illegal immigration. They have taken in some people, no doubt, but the fact is that the fence idea is simply a proposal for an expensive boondoggle, coming, interestingly enough from the same people who purport to be in favor of fiscal responsibility.
    The fact is you were dead wrong and just can't bring yourself to admit it. Plus you have to defend your pet Obama to the end. And who killed the fence, your beloved Obama. I'm done

    Now to your fiscal responsibility comment, National security is the main goal of government. But of course to you liberals that is not the main goal.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  2. #962
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    The fact is you were dead wrong and just can't bring yourself to admit it. Plus you have to defend your pet Obama to the end. And who killed the fence, your beloved Obama. I'm done

    Now to your fiscal responsibility comment, National security is the main goal of government. But of course to you liberals that is not the main goal.
    Actually, you're not done.

    You never got started.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #963
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    I am very familiar with making a profit. You stated yourself, I quote, "That isn't supposed to be possible in a capitalist economy if things work like the models, but it is happening and has been for like 30 years now." The problem is the models are wrong and all the comments you've made on this subject prove it.

    I said before you never owned a business or managed one and that was based on your comments. You say I am missing what you are saying, your damn right I am as I would never run a business using your model. The business model I like is the one that produces massive profit, so that I can take that profit and leverage it to make yet bigger and more massive profit. And one other thing I like expensive toys, that only a very profitable business can offer.
    Maybe you don't understand what a model is. It is not an approach to running a business, it is a a way to predict outcomes in the market. Capitalism is based on the idea that certain things will tend to function in certain ways. Those are the models that capitalism is based on. If things aren't working according to those models, then we need to look at whether we can fix that, and if not, whether we need to look at a different economic system. How you run your business or whatever has nothing to do with any of that.

  4. #964
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    Maybe you don't understand what a model is. It is not an approach to running a business, it is a a way to predict outcomes in the market. Capitalism is based on the idea that certain things will tend to function in certain ways. Those are the models that capitalism is based on. If things aren't working according to those models, then we need to look at whether we can fix that, and if not, whether we need to look at a different economic system. How you run your business or whatever has nothing to do with any of that.
    You continue to shy away from where I started and I have repeatably challenge your comments and I do so again. You respond with models and all economist agree on this and that. It's all nonsense. Your concept of operating and running a business is off the planet, unless you are running a non-profit business or one that would never exist. I ask that you take your comments in bold and try and explain how this works in the real business world, then we can measure it up against a real business like Microsoft that you claim is a failure to perform well.

    I quote

    "I quote you as saying "The profits an owner takes are waste?" To you, but not an owner of a company. Then you go onto say "They are created by charging customers more than the things you sell them are worth" Sorry but that is how you make a profit and the more profit a company makes the more expansion the company can make and the owners can by more yachts and planes and more toys. Then you say "paying employees less than they are worth." Sorry they are worth what the market dictates. Then you say "It's a business failing to perform well." You are wrong again, the higher the profit the more successful it is. I am going to use one example of high profit - Microsoft. And you say Microsoft, as a business, is failing to perform well. What planet are you on."
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  5. #965
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    You continue to shy away from where I started and I have repeatably challenge your comments and I do so again. You respond with models and all economist agree on this and that. It's all nonsense. Your concept of operating and running a business is off the planet, unless you are running a non-profit business or one that would never exist. I ask that you take your comments in bold and try and explain how this works in the real business world, then we can measure it up against a real business like Microsoft that you claim is a failure to perform well.

    I quote

    "I quote you as saying "The profits an owner takes are waste?" To you, but not an owner of a company. Then you go onto say "They are created by charging customers more than the things you sell them are worth" Sorry but that is how you make a profit and the more profit a company makes the more expansion the company can make and the owners can by more yachts and planes and more toys. Then you say "paying employees less than they are worth." Sorry they are worth what the market dictates. Then you say "It's a business failing to perform well." You are wrong again, the higher the profit the more successful it is. I am going to use one example of high profit - Microsoft. And you say Microsoft, as a business, is failing to perform well. What planet are you on."
    Anyways man, if you sincerely want to understand, I think I've laid it out in enough detail. At this point, this seems more to me like you just aren't really interested in understanding so much as trying to change the topic.

  6. #966
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    Definitely lots of businesses are expensive to get started in, but I don't buy that regulations are a significant driver of those costs. Most regulations actually don't apply until you get 50 employees or 200 employees or in some cases hit certain revenue baselines and whatnot. Most small businesses are more or less de-regulated as long as they don't violate basic common law crimes like fraud and whatnot. For example, I was part of the management team at a start-up for a while. We had one and only one regulatory burden- we had to file out taxes once a year. That was kind of a pain to be sure. The CEO did it himself the first couple years and found it annoying. But then he hired an accountant for a few hundred once a year and that was that. That's it. That's the only regulatory thing we ever encountered. That's pretty typical unless you're like actually trying to do whatever it is that the regulations are there to prevent, like trying to sell unsafe products or scam your employees or something.
    Regulations are involved in EVERYTHING. They determine WHO you buy WHAT supplies from, and thus, for how much. If, say, Hobart is the only pot and pan machine you are ALLOWED to use, and Sysco is the ONLY company in your area you are ABLE to purchase such a thing from? That's called a monopoly, and a government enforced one, no less. There is absolutely NO reason why a pot washer/steamer should cost 25K, or MORE. Same with automotive, same with healthcare, same with just about everything. It's EVERYWHERE. The gauze we complain about our hospitals charging 20 bucks for? Well, they charge that, because there is only ONE supplier they are likely ALLOWED to purchase it from. And they are gonna charge whatever the hell the feel they can get away with. And since the only check and balance on THAT really is insurance, guess what? They can get away with QUITE a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #967
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Are you referring to the marginal level of productivity?
    Anyway, the problem at present is that there are too many workers in the States (though, it is getting better again) because consumers have been buying 10 Cents t-shirts from Bangladesh and the factories have been opening up there or in China. If wages in the US are lifted, the situation will get worse, because they will buy more stuff out there, capital will build factories there and fewer jobs will be enough productive to justify the pay. If you want Americans to be employed and make money, lower the wage.
    Yes. Make us competitive with the wonderful countries like Chine and Bangladesh, AKA, republicrat wonderlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #968
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Regulations are involved in EVERYTHING. They determine WHO you buy WHAT supplies from, and thus, for how much. If, say, Hobart is the only pot and pan machine you are ALLOWED to use, and Sysco is the ONLY company in your area you are ABLE to purchase such a thing from? That's called a monopoly, and a government enforced one, no less. There is absolutely NO reason why a pot washer/steamer should cost 25K, or MORE. Same with automotive, same with healthcare, same with just about everything. It's EVERYWHERE. The gauze we complain about our hospitals charging 20 bucks for? Well, they charge that, because there is only ONE supplier they are likely ALLOWED to purchase it from. And they are gonna charge whatever the hell the feel they can get away with. And since the only check and balance on THAT really is insurance, guess what? They can get away with QUITE a lot.
    How do you see regulations making it so you can only buy a Hobart pot washer from Sysco? This is going to take some more explanation than you've offered so far.

  9. #969
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    How do you see regulations making it so you can only buy a Hobart pot washer from Sysco? This is going to take some more explanation than you've offered so far.
    Well, in the world of restaurants, for instance, everything you use must be rated for food service. That is a legal term, "rated for food service", or "professional grade". So, the 20 microwave from walmart is, quite literally, ILLEGAL. No, you need the 900 dollar one, even if all you ever intend to use it for is melting butter. Same with a dish washer, or an oven. You can't go to home depot and buy those things, they are ILLEGAL in food service. You need the 20K and 50K variants, which are only offered by about two different companies in the entire country. Within every area, there is one, MAYBE two, designated suppliers of these sorts of things...that is, suppliers that the government has deemed trustworthy enough to bring you the monopolized products they require you to have. Hell, liquor is even WORSE, if you have a full bar at the place. Wanna buy budwieser? Well, in your area, there will only be ONE person you are LEGALLY allowed to purchase it from. LITERALLY. True story, look it up, sometime.

    Why has this happened? Because somewhere, at some point in time, a lobbyist convinced someone else that in order to keep people safe, they need to use ONLY pro rated equipment in the food industry. ANything less would just be barbaric.


    This same concept applies across a vast array of fields. It's a MAJOR reason why our healthcare costs so damn much in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #970
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Well, in the world of restaurants, for instance, everything you use must be rated for food service. That is a legal term, "rated for food service", or "professional grade". So, the 20 microwave from walmart is, quite literally, ILLEGAL. No, you need the 900 dollar one, even if all you ever intend to use it for is melting butter. Same with a dish washer, or an oven. You can't go to home depot and buy those things, they are ILLEGAL in food service. You need the 20K and 50K variants, which are only offered by about two different companies in the entire country. Within every area, there is one, MAYBE two, designated suppliers of these sorts of things...that is, suppliers that the government has deemed trustworthy enough to bring you the monopolized products they require you to have. Hell, liquor is even WORSE, if you have a full bar at the place. Wanna buy budwieser? Well, in your area, there will only be ONE person you are LEGALLY allowed to purchase it from. LITERALLY. True story, look it up, sometime.

    Why has this happened? Because somewhere, at some point in time, a lobbyist convinced someone else that in order to keep people safe, they need to use ONLY pro rated equipment in the food industry. ANything less would just be barbaric.


    This same concept applies across a vast array of fields. It's a MAJOR reason why our healthcare costs so damn much in this country.
    If you are having trouble finding enough appliances approved for use in restaurants in your area, why not take a trip into the city to pick one up? I don't think you can blame the government if your county doesn't have a ton of stores that sell equipment for restaurants.

Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •