View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 88 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #871
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    You're right ... I have no loyalty to an American worker. I pay the laborer for his efforts, and he does his job. My job is to produce maximum profitability for my investors ... period. Increasing the laborer's take home pay is NOT in my job description. The only reason I would pay more is because that's what it would take to produce maximum profitability.
    So, was Henry Ford wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    You're right and you're wrong - some countries won't allow US cars to be sold overseas, but most countries won't ... but, even if they would, we can't be cost competitive, so it's a non-issue. As for your containerization argument, if you're looking for an excuse, that's as good as any. If you're unwilling to look at reality, that is as good a subterfuge as any.
    GM plans to invest $14 billion through 2018, including five new assembly plants to support estimated sales of about 5 million per year. Last year the company sold nearly 3.2 million vehicles in China, compared with 2.8 million in the U.S.

    GM hopes Chinese cars buyers embrace Cadillac, the luxury brand that has struggled in the U.S. despite earning numerous awards. GM expects China to become the world's largest luxury car market later this decade, and plans to introduce nine new Cadillacs there over the next five years.
    link
    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    My personal anecdotes?? You're right .... but then, my personal anecdotes created 300 jobs and about $40 million a year in business. How are your personal anecdotes doing?

    To call out the 1945 - 1979 time frame to demonstrate that socialism is a viable solution .. oh wait, you call it 'sharing the wealth', don't you? - is almost laughable. Perhaps you can tell me what time frame that unions were the most powerful and forced 'sharing the wealth'. I'm guessing it will be the same time frame ... ya think? What the hell makes you think those wage increases were 'voluntary'????
    Maybe you are what you say you are, and maybe not. You can be anything you want online.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #872
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post

    I'm sorry ... you're gonna have to prove that to me.


    Your justification for increased wage and wealth inequality is that owners and rentiers deserve greater levels of income capture, in spite of the fact that greater inequality causes slower growth along with a host of other negatives. And as I have pointed out previously, the promise was that "trickle-down":

    that tax breaks or other economic benefits provided to businesses and upper income levels will benefit poorer members of society by improving the economy as a whole.

    It hasn't, wages for labor has remained stagnant, not because
    "labor chose" it to be so, but because ownership "chose".





    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #873
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    You're right ... I have no loyalty to an American worker. ......

    Perhaps you can tell me what time frame that unions were the most powerful and forced 'sharing the wealth'. I'm guessing it will be the same time frame ... ya think? What the hell makes you think those wage increases were 'voluntary'????
    I think that is the point, post WWII unions were strong, but beyond that there was a different mindset among owners, we had emerged from the Great Depression and WWII, surviving not only threats of revolution but direct foreign threats to the Constitution. As a result we were much more unified as a nation and the ethos of "get as much as you can and screw the workers" was not so proudly displayed as now. Now many (like yourself) have gone full on G. Gekko, displaying and living by the worst expression of capitalism.

    Income Inequality-change-real-family-income-quintile-and-top-5-percent-1947-1979-png

    Income Inequality-change-real-family-income-quintile-and-top-5-percent-1979-2009-png
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 10-03-14 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added graphs
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #874
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,958

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    Every company does. But, from an economic perspective, that is inefficiency. Profit taking is waste. So, I'm not saying you should feel bad about doing it or something lame. People are selfish, such is life. But we certainly should design the economic system in a way that minimizes waste as much as possible.

    oh...i dont feel bad about it at all

    i have 140+ employees, all making a good living

    some making a GREAT living....

    over 20 exceeded 100k in earnings in 2013, and more than that will break that number this year

    they make money, i make money, and the owner makes money

    win/win/win

    i dont see it as inefficient at all.....i see capitalism working for 140 + people.....and i am damn glad to be part of it
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. #875
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I think that is the point, post WWII unions were strong, but beyond that there was a different mindset among owners, we had emerged from the Great Depression and WWII, surviving not only threats of revolution but direct foreign threats to the Constitution. As a result we were much more unified as a nation and the ethos of "get as much as you can and screw the workers" was not so proudly displayed as now. Now many (like yourself) have gone full on G. Gekko, displaying and living by the worst expression of capitalism.

    Income Inequality-change-real-family-income-quintile-and-top-5-percent-1947-1979-png

    Income Inequality-change-real-family-income-quintile-and-top-5-percent-1979-2009-png

    Pure rhetorical nonsense ... you talk the talk, but I don't think you can walk the walk.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  6. #876
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post


    Your justification for increased wage and wealth inequality is that owners and rentiers deserve greater levels of income capture, in spite of the fact that greater inequality causes slower growth along with a host of other negatives. And as I have pointed out previously, the promise was that "trickle-down":

    that tax breaks or other economic benefits provided to businesses and upper income levels will benefit poorer members of society by improving the economy as a whole.

    It hasn't, wages for labor has remained stagnant, not because
    "labor chose" it to be so, but because ownership "chose".





    Nonsense ... that was not my point now, nor has it ever been my point.

    Employers pay the wages they do because that is what it takes to get people to do the work ... it's really no more difficult than that. My job, as an employer, is to get you to do a million dollars of work for one dollar of pay. Your job is get a million dollars of pay for a dollar's worth of work.

    The motivator is ... always has been, and always will be ... profitability. Any thing else is a liberal fantasy.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  7. #877
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    Every company does. But, from an economic perspective, that is inefficiency. Profit taking is waste. So, I'm not saying you should feel bad about doing it or something lame. People are selfish, such is life. But we certainly should design the economic system in a way that minimizes waste as much as possible.
    If you perceive profit taking as waste, then your conceptual understanding of economics is both flawed and naive. Based on that premise, you're not qualified to discuss the subject.

    Have a nice day.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  8. #878
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Nonsense ... that was not my point now, nor has it ever been my point.

    Employers pay the wages they do because that is what it takes to get people to do the work ... it's really no more difficult than that. My job, as an employer, is to get you to do a million dollars of work for one dollar of pay. Your job is get a million dollars of pay for a dollar's worth of work.

    The motivator is ... always has been, and always will be ... profitability. Any thing else is a liberal fantasy.
    Then we really don't need the illegals to harvest crops, we just need to pay people enough to do the job.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #879
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    and the Congress.
    Dittohead Not Quote:
    Re: The supply and demand for unskilled labor:

    Yes, the point has been made that the price of unskilled labor is set by supply and demand.

    Therefore, the motivation of the employers of unskilled labor is to keep the supply as high as possible.

    Now, that said, who is it that is really in favor of illegal immigration by unskilled workers?

    Interesting, nowhere do I see anywhere you mentioning Congress. Instead you were slamming businesses but it's a Texas Governor, a republican I might add that sent troops to the border to seal it. Instead you should have been slamming Obama but he is one of your pets, so you give him a pass. And now you bring up Congress like Dingy Harry will bring up anything for a vote that the House passes. But after November you will see all that change, the Senate republican leader will take up all kinds of legislating and pass it over to Dumbass to sign or veto. Putting him on the hot seat as though he is not already, being the worst president ever. Obama, what an idiot.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  10. #880
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Income Inequality


    Poll: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?


    Pass pro-growth legislation that create jobs, thus raises the income for the middle class. Supply and demand. More demand for workers the higher the wages. Simple concept, yet Liberals don't understand it.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

Page 88 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •