View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 85 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #841
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The point wasn't that anyone is being exploited but that interconnection and the lack thereof has a strong effect on how people relate to each other. Smaller companies in small towns will commonly have better relations between owner and workers than small companies in big cities, while small companies in big cities will have commonly have better relations between owner and work than large corporations. The same is true for pretty much anything involving people. The more interconnected and knowledgeable they are of each other the better relations will be.
    Actually I've found that smaller towns and smaller employers use the relationship to their advantage to exploit their employees further and use that closeness of relationship to their advantage.

    It seems you're hung up on the word rather than what that word signifies.

    It is what it is


  2. #842
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Of course it does. You think so eh? capitalist-ish society, me thinks. I was a government employee for a time. I've also been exploited and have done a helluva allot more exploiting.
    Sorry it isn't. I really don't know what "capital-ish" is but I'm sure it means something to you. How have you been exploited and how did you exploit?

    I've never been exploited for my labor and I've never exploited anyone else for their labor. Furthermore, I've never seen anyone exploit someone for their labor.

    I think you really don't understand the word exploit and your math leads you to the wrong conclusion.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  3. #843
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Sorry it isn't. I really don't know what "capital-ish" is but I'm sure it means something to you. How have you been exploited and how did you exploit?

    I've never been exploited for my labor and I've never exploited anyone else for their labor. Furthermore, I've never seen anyone exploit someone for their labor.

    I think you really don't understand the word exploit and your math leads you to the wrong conclusion.
    Don't be sorry. If you stubbornly insist on that which isn't so -- OWN IT!

    You do know if you're going to "quote" someone than you really should make sure that what goes in between the "____" is what they said.

    Never seen? Really? Than you must be typing from a braille keyboard and I applaud you for not letting your disability keep you from engaging in debate.

    Of course I don't understand, I mean I don't agree with you, or you don't agree with me rather so it must be a lack of comprehension.

    Great argument...

  4. #844
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Don't be sorry. If you stubbornly insist on that which isn't so -- OWN IT!

    You do know if you're going to "quote" someone than you really should make sure that what goes in between the "____" is what they said.

    Never seen? Really? Than you must be typing from a braille keyboard and I applaud you for not letting your disability keep you from engaging in debate.

    Of course I don't understand, I mean I don't agree with you, or you don't agree with me rather so it must be a lack of comprehension.

    Great argument...
    I'm not sorry that "capitalism-ish" is the dumbest thing made up unexplained concept I've ever heard said in many years--Own that. And yes, there is braille on my keyboard, but if you are going to be snarky about figures of speech, then I shall exploit your time no further.

  5. #845
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I'm not sorry that "capitalism-ish" is the dumbest thing made up unexplained concept I've ever heard said in many years--Own that. And yes, there is braille on my keyboard, but if you are going to be snarky about figures of speech, then I shall exploit your time no further.
    The sad thing is you don't even see your hypocrisy.

    Ah well, no one is so blind as those who refuse to see...

  6. #846
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    If you choose to intentionally misinterpret what is said, I can think of no reason to continue discussion. To take one comment out of context is corrupt ... read it in its entirety, and get back to me.
    The give-away, the tell....is not being able to say WHAT was taken out of context.
    .... I also said that labor causes its own problem. When the unions are not able to put together a strong enough package to attract members, it loses its bargaining position.
    You are once again putting the cart in front of the horse, since half the states already are RTW, and union membership has already declined, unions generally don't have the force to effect wages, benefits. Again, this is a cause of the hollowing out of the middle class, an explanation for DECLINING WAGES and increase inequality.


    If the union is strong enough to enforce collective bargaining, then employers have to make a simple decision ... can they accede to union demands and still make money, or do they just close the doors?
    Don't worry your pretty little head, collective bargaining for the remaining stronghold of unions, govt workers, will soon be a thing of the past, another nail in the coffin for workers, a further eroding of wages, a cause of growing inequality.


    Pretty simplistic ... and intentionally misleading. Those are factors, yes, but they are far from being the primary causative factors. They are simply convenient foils you can point to in order to avoid the reality.
    You have little historical perspective, the combo of containerization/low shipping costs and the relaxing of trade barriers to US markets is what allowed off-shoring to be economically feasible. After the standardization in 1965, containerization costs plummeted.
    High labor costs, utility costs, excessive and onerous regulations, and taxes are the primary driving factors.
    Profit is the driving force, the ability to undercut domestic producers with govt subsidization and grab market share was the play, whether it was steel, cars, electronics, optics...you name it. We never had a domestic industrial policy, we never tried to protect domestic workers.

    My choices are simple ... I can make a shirt here in the US for $11, or I can make it in Thailand for $2.30 ... while I can sell the US shirt in the US for $18, and make a living, i can't take that $18 shirt overseas and sell it. So, I'm stuck in a single market. But, I can take that $2.30 shirt and sell it everywhere. Which one would you do?
    You can't sell a US made car in Japan or China or Germany at below costs....they won't allow it.

    If you wish to exploit with sweatshop labor....that is your choice. Like most corporations, you have already cast aspersions upon US workers, showing no loyalty towards them. it is pure Randianism.



    Gee, where do I find US workers having so little pride in their work? Take a look at your purchases next time ... shoddy workmanship is the norm, not the exception. But, where did I see this?
    Like I said, there you are. I have seen this expressed a million times by corporatists.

    Hmmmm ... I wonder if it was in the veneer mill that I worked......
    Yawn, and away we go with the personal anecdotes substituting for data.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #847
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Misdirection, again .....

    What you actually said was "The concept that sharing the wealth when all are causing greater profits is a bad thing?"

    Last time I checked, that's socialism ... a failed experiment at all levels. Why would you propose it again? Redistribution of wealth has never worked ... unless you have a whole new methodology, you're just spouting the same ol' thing over and over gain.
    Really? Profit sharing has never worked? The voluntary increase in wages by corporations from 1945 to 1979 did not work?



    Look at all that socializ'm that built a middle class!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #848
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    The sad thing is you don't even see your hypocrisy.

    Ah well, no one is so blind as those who refuse to see...
    You can find the definition of exploit in a reputable dictionary. You can create a definition if "capitalistic-ish" in the Urban dictionary. You will immortalize your own cleverness in the mind where the word was made up.

    I'm done with trying to reason with you.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  9. #849
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Income Inequality

    High paying jobs are becoming more valuable, low skilled non technical positions remain a dime a dozen. You can't replace a do for or chemist with some schmuck off the street. You can replace most non-skilled employees. There is an abundance of non skilled workers both homegrown and immigrant. Can't be surprised low level jobs remain low wage jobs.

  10. #850
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    You can find the definition of exploit in a reputable dictionary. You can create a definition if "capitalistic-ish" in the Urban dictionary. You will immortalize your own cleverness in the mind where the word was made up.

    I'm done with trying to reason with you.
    Uh huh...

Page 85 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •