View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 76 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #751
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think that if someone was really concerned about income inequality of Americans then the first thing they would want to do is crack down on illegal immigration and if needed restrict legal immigration. Because if there is a long line of people ready to replace you at a moment's notice then you become less valuable to your employer. When the labor pool is over flowing employers can offer lower wages, no raises or any other benefits. When the labor pool is not over flowing you not only have a better chance of getting a job your employer will offer you better pay, raises and other benefits. The law of supply and demand also applies to the labor market.

    Another thing someone can do about income inequlity is pull out of harmful trade treaties that cost Americans their jobs. I realize that many checked pants republicans have their lips for firmly wrapped around the cocks of business owners in order to get that money. But most other Americans realize that America should make its own things and not be at the mercy of other countries to make our things. There is also the fact that buying all those foreign made goods like the pockets of those foreign governments which aids in increasing their military might and thus becoming a potential threat to our country.
    So blame the Mexicans? Lol no thanks. The biggest disparity is between the top one percent and everyone else. The erosion of the middle class is a problem, and has nothing to do withb Mexico

  2. #752
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So blame the Mexicans? Lol no thanks.

    I prefer to blame every politician who caters to pro-illegal dirtbags.

    The biggest disparity is between the top one percent and everyone else. The erosion of the middle class is a problem, and has nothing to do withb Mexico
    Contrary to popular illegals do more than just pick tomatoes. They work in construction, factories and many other jobs that are well paying or used to be well paying.Again the law of supply and demand applies to labor.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 10-01-14 at 07:59 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #753
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It isn't Walmart. Go find me some AMerican made products to buy ANYWHERE. It's not easy to do. The finest clothing stores are selling Chinese crap.
    If you can't find or are unwilling to put in the effort necessary to find American-made products (it is possible to buy american-made products for many items. I know because I do it as much as I possibly can) then buy that Chinese made crap at locally owned stores that pay decent wages, not at a huge mega corporation that uses the welfare system to subsidize their profits.

    By the way, a simple google search is all that's required to find some american made products:

    Made in the USA Products Directory
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #754
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Plenty of rational and reasonable arguments can be made against raising the minimum wage. For one thing, what works in Sweden might not work in a country 20 times as large with many more global responsibilities, built on a different economic model.

    However, to say that Sweden is falling apart is ignorant and doesn't reflect real life. Sweden is a very nice country. Likewise, to say that someone's argument is wrong just because they're an "annoying European" is childish in that it fails to address the actual argument that person is making and simply seeks to put them in a box, based solely on their nationality, where nothing they say could ever be correct.

    I think we should all strive for free and open debate, for freedom of expression and ideas, and may the best ideas win based on their own merit. We should not base our opinions based on prejudices we might have against certain nationalities.
    That's the point. Saying we should do something simply because someone else does it is on the level of a 5 year old.

    Sweden has very high socialistic taxes. While the geography may be nice, the politics aren't. I didn't claim someone was wrong because they're an annoying European. I claim those saying we should do something because Europe does it are annoying because they make that claim. Like I've said, someone arguing from that point has no merit.

  5. #755
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    Well according to the numbers you would be wrong. And you can be starving without dieing. Starving means to suffer greatly from hunger as well as to be dieing from hunger. many did back then, and still more do today. I know plenty of people I am sure are starving now. Not to death, but they suffer greatly from hunger everyday.

    IMO (given your stated views) you were not and do not pay attention to such things, that in fact you probably try to turn a blind eye, as many do.

    I was alive is not proof.

    What's your religion? Seriously what is it? I am agnostic.
    I'll take "I was alive" as stated by Turtle Dude over something you read in a book yet never witnessed then.

    I have a solution for you if you see someone starving. Take them to eat, buy their groceries, and take them in. That would be the type proof I need from those who claim they are compassionate. However, having the mindset that the rest of us should do it a certain way because bleeding hearts want to do it that way isn't proof nor is it compassionate.

  6. #756
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Income Inequality

    [QUOTE=Gimmesometruth;1063813491]The argument is that MW has declined in real terms since 1978 and coincides with that quintile's overall wage declines from the same time frame.

    When skills now are on the same level as skills then, those having the same low level of skills have no argument about expecting more. If they want their incomes to grow or even maintain, let them grow their skill level. That's what many of us did and the benefits show because of it. If they would spend half as much time doing something to better themselves as they do bitching about being handed a higher wage, the problems you say exist would go away. As it stands, what we have now is two groups. Those willing to earn a better wage and those who want a better one handed to them.

  7. #757
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Income Inequality

    [QUOTE=Gimmesometruth;1063814942]Of course it has....

    I just received a $6,000 MERIT pay increase because my employer values what I offer. That means I've proven my place. As a result, I have taken on more responsibilities. If minimum wage was to go up to $15/hour like fastfood workers want, they would be more than doubling their pay for absolutely no more contribution. In life, there are two groups. Those willing to better themselves and earn what they get and those who think it is owed to them simply because they breath.

  8. #758
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-19-14 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    312

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    That isn't the argument at hand, the argument is that wages have declined in real terms for the lowest quintile since 1980, have barely risen for the rest while the top quintiles have seen very large income gains.

    This is the result of various policies.
    Ever thought that the lowest quintile has also been the least to improve their skills? No you haven't. Those at the top aren't at the top because they sat around whining about not making enough. They did something about it.

  9. #759
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    When should growing inequality concern us? This is a moral and political question. It is also an economic one. It is increasingly recognised that, beyond a certain point, inequality will be a source of significant economic ills.

    The US – both the most important high-income economy and much the most unequal – is providing a test bed for the economic impact of inequality. The results are worrying.
    This realisation has now spread to institutions that would not normally be accused of socialism. A report written by the chief US economist of Standard & Poor’s, and another from Morgan Stanley, agree that inequality is not only rising but having damaging effects on the US economy.
    According to the Federal Reserve, the upper 3 per cent of the income distribution received 30.5 per cent of total incomes in 2013. The next 7 per cent received just 16.8 per cent. This left barely over half of total incomes to the remaining 90 per cent. The upper 3 per cent was also the only group to have enjoyed a rising share in incomes since the early 1990s. Since 2010, median family incomes fell, while the mean rose. Inequality keeps rising. The Morgan Stanley study lists among causes of the rise in inequality: the growing proportion of poorly paid and insecure low-skilled jobs; the rising wage premium for educated people; and the fact that tax and spending policies are less redistributive than they used to be a few decades ago.
    Thus, in 2012, says the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the US ranked highest among the high-income countries in the share of relatively low-paying jobs. Moreover, the bottom quintile of the income distribution received only 36 per cent of federal transfer payments in 2010, down from 54 per cent in 1979.

    Regressive payroll taxes, which cost the poor proportionally more than the rich, are projected to raise 32 per cent of federal revenue in fiscal year 2015, against 46 per cent for federal income tax, the burden of which falls more on higher earners.
    Also important are huge increases in the relative pay of executives, together with the shift in incomes from labour to capital. The Federal Reserve’s policies have also benefited the relatively well off; it is trying to raise the prices of assets which are overwhelmingly owned by the rich.
    These reports bring out two economic consequences of rising inequality: weak demand and lagging progress in raising educational levels.
    The argument on demand is that, up to the time of the crisis, many of those who were not enjoying rising real incomes borrowed instead. Rising house prices made this possible. By late 2007, debt peaked at 135 per cent of disposable incomes.

    Then came the crash. Left with huge debts and unable to borrow more, people on low incomes have been forced to spend less. Withdrawal of mortgage equity, financed by borrowing, has collapsed. The result has been an exceptionally weak recovery of consumption.



    American education has also deteriorated. It is the only high-income country whose 25-34 year olds are no better educated than its 55-64 year olds. This is partly because other countries have caught up on the US, which pioneered mass college education. It is also because children from poor backgrounds are handicapped in completing college.
    The S&P report notes that for the poorest households college graduation rates increased by only about 4 percentage points between the generation born in the early 1960s and that born in the early 1980s. The graduation rate for the wealthiest households increased by almost 20 percentage points over the same period. Yet, without a college degree, the chances of upward mobility are now quite limited. As a result, children of prosperous families are likely to stay well-off and children of poor families likely to remain poor.


    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8b41d...#axzz3EqFDdMtR
    That's a pretty good summary of recent economic history, isn't it? Why should we be concerned by income disparity? Because the growing number of poor don't create much of a market, which cuts into profits and higher level employment, which in turn creates less of a market, and so on. It's a vicious circle. So, yes, all of us need to be concerned, not just the people who need food stamps to survive.

    The tax structure, far from redistributing in come to the less well off, has the opposite effect.

    We need an educated populace. Having a higher level of education is a benefit for all of us, and yet the cost of a college education keeps getting higher and higher. Bringing those costs down needs to be a high priority. Working your way through used to be the norm for the low income and lower middle class people. Today, it's no longer an option for most of us, who wind up with debt that continues literally for decades.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #760
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    The argument is that MW has declined in real terms since 1978 and coincides with that quintile's overall wage declines from the same time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative65 View Post

    When skills now are on the same level as skills then, those having the same low level of skills have no argument about expecting more. If they want their incomes to grow or even maintain, let them grow their skill level
    The essence of your argument is, if your wage declines because of inflation, you have no cause for a raise.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 76 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •