View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 71 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #701
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    88
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It appears that government growth is actually starting back down now. If that's accurate, then it's a good thing.

    I can't see how that is going to solve income inequality, though, unless it means that less tax money is going to go into subsidies for the large corporations.

    I believe its the fact that tax dollars are taken by force, thus there's no incentive for governments to create a quality product/ service at a competitive price. When this money is spent on say wars, or welfare, it takes resources away from transactions that can be made voluntarily, making valuable goods fewer and more scarce, thus more expensive, thus less likely to be purchased by someone at a lower income level. Also, when governments print money (as the Fed does in trillions of dollars) the dollars go to big banks and they spend them on goods that are priced lower than if excess dollars were in the economy (inflation drag), while devaluing savings accounts for poor people. The wars also tax everyone, while hiring (Halliburton) or any of the private contracting firms overseas.

    When the Fed hold interest rates at zero, people save less, and investors invest. Rich people invest the most and are better at doing so, so stocks are flooded with dollars because thats the only place you can't loose money with inflation at its current rate. Also, numbers can be artistically reported depending on how inflation, or GDP, or interest, or CPI is calculated. Focus on the access of goods those in top income brackets have, then those at the bottom. Poor people access planes, internet, phones, cars, etc. No rich person had those in most of history, but because entrepreneurs competed and property rights were enforced, supply and demand allocated those resources in a very effective manner.

  2. #702
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    If youre working harder than your father did and youre making the same as he was then youre working the wrong kind of job is all I can say about that.
    A simplistic response that either does not understand the lack of wage growth or dismisses it.


    I may not be making as much as the top 1% but I do not see why people who dont have their work ethic or vision be jealous of them because in the end thats all it is- you are jealous somebody has more money than you. Its not like the rich is stealing from you because they make money no matter how you are doing.
    Again, an ignoring of the policy and economic changes in the US that has allowed the very wealthy to capture income growth since 1980.


    Its where you grew up, not who your parents are.
    It is both.
    If you live in a poor area you can always pack your bags and move
    Right, it is that simple.
    There are plenty of poor people who became rich, growing up poor didnt stop them. My gramps was abandoned by his father and he was forced to help his mother and sisters growing up but he became a millionaire after WW2.
    He was able to do so, in large part, because of the equal gains in wage growth among all quintiles from the end of WWII to 1979. But even your source shows that most (90%) will not....so, should they not share in the economic gains at whatever position they work within?


    Business owners and the market built it therefore they deserve the rewards, not you.
    And there we are, say no more, your true colors come out....a Randian corporatist.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #703
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    no....you need to talk to your boss

    if you are as you say, better, faster, smarter, and more productive, and earning what he did...you have a problem

    i dont know what that problem is....maybe it is the career.....maybe the place of employment....or maybe its you

    but what you say doesnt make sense without more information

    i make 5x what my father did in his best year....

    different skills, different career.....and my dad retired as a gs9 with just under 50 years of federal service
    It never ceases to amaze me how libertarians, who base their views largely on economic issues, absolutely refuse to study and understand real world economics, how instead they rely so often on the personal story and cannot, refuse, to accept US macro data. I can post data showing them that wages have been stagnant/declining for all but the top for over a generation of workers.....and they ignore it. It is as if their ideology puts on or encourages the use of blinders causing this myopic view of the economic world. It is nearly cult-like, where when the outside world begins to impinge, they go deeper inside of themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #704
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the top 5% pay more than half the income tax burden and all the death tax burden so your definition is moronic and based on your faith based belief that the rich should pay many dollars for one dollar of government service while everyone else should pay less than a dime
    LOL....your post here does nothing to change the fact that when you change tax rates of different tax brackets you "redistribute" wealth. People such as yourself only like calling it that when it benefits the working/middle classes. The reality is, when you change tax rates you redistribute wealth. Period.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #705
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....your post here does nothing to change the fact that when you change tax rates of different tax brackets you "redistribute" wealth. People such as yourself only like calling it that when it benefits the working/middle classes. The reality is, when you change tax rates you redistribute wealth. Period.
    wrong. redistribution of income means taking the money someone has made and having the government give it to someone else. cutting tax rates on the rich Does not REDISTRIBUTE INCOME TO THEM

    left-wingers try to claim that tax cuts are the moral equivalent of handouts in order to make handouts and government TIT SUCKING appear to be no worse than tax cuts

    its like saying if I shoot a robber or the police catch him before he steals everything in my home, that is Income redistribution



  6. #706
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wrong. redistribution of income means taking the money someone has made and having the government give it to someone else. cutting tax rates on the rich Does not REDISTRIBUTE INCOME TO THEM

    left-wingers try to claim that tax cuts are the moral equivalent of handouts in order to make handouts and government TIT SUCKING appear to be no worse than tax cuts

    its like saying if I shoot a robber or the police catch him before he steals everything in my home, that is Income redistribution
    LOL....so cutting taxes for the wealthy "allows them to keep more of their money"

    cutting taxes for the working/middle class = income redistribution in your book.

    Raising taxes on the rich = income redistribution (in your book)

    Raising taxes on the working/middle classes " good because it wasn't their money to begin with".....Too funny.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #707
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....your post here does nothing to change the fact that when you change tax rates of different tax brackets you "redistribute" wealth. People such as yourself only like calling it that when it benefits the working/middle classes. The reality is, when you change tax rates you redistribute wealth. Period.
    changing tax changes ,changes how much revenue government will collect.......their is no redistribution of wealth, because money does not belong to government, it belongs to people who earn it.

    while raising taxes can increase revenue, if you raise taxes to high you can lose revenue and slow the economy.

    while cutting taxes, does raise revenue, usually the first / second year of its implementation is a lost of revenue, however revenue does return and increase on a larger scale, ...history shows this by looking at Reagan and Bush taxes cuts.

  8. #708
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....so cutting taxes for the wealthy "allows them to keep more of their money"

    cutting taxes for the working/middle class = income redistribution in your book.

    Raising taxes on the rich = income redistribution (in your book)

    Raising taxes on the working/middle classes " good because it wasn't their money to begin with".....Too funny.
    1) if you are paying more than you use (i.e. the rich) tax cuts do not REDISTRIBUTE ANYTHING

    so stop the lying.

    raising taxes on the rich does redistribute income

    if we live in a society where everyone pays the value of what they use it might be different

    right now the top 5% pay more than HALF the income taxes meaning they SUBSIDIZE government services for most everyone els


    as usual your silly argument doesn't address the point but rather is more butthurt whining about the rich



  9. #709
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    1) if you are paying more than you use (i.e. the rich) tax cuts do not REDISTRIBUTE ANYTHING

    so stop the lying.

    raising taxes on the rich does redistribute income

    if we live in a society where everyone pays the value of what they use it might be different

    right now the top 5% pay more than HALF the income taxes meaning they SUBSIDIZE government services for most everyone els


    as usual your silly argument doesn't address the point but rather is more butthurt whining about the rich
    You are using different words but saying the exact same thing over and over:

    Cutting taxes for the wealthy = allowing them to keep more of their money
    Cutting taxes for the middle/working classes = giving them more money that they weren't entitled to in the first place.

    Wow....LOL.....
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #710
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    10-20-14 @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,657

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    When was the black community on the verge of thriving?
    Yestetday the local paper's heading: Black People Six Times More Likely to be Arrested for Marijuana than Whites.

    A few times in my life i've been caught holding this and that and not once arrested nor given a fine, I skate and skate, so many figure eights the Olympics if given a gold, was only b'cause I was holding.

    With this not even scratching the surface to your disbelief, there is a particular incident that began in the '60s, that once a moment is taken to refresh myself with its details, a long-winded rant on behalf of the less fortunate would be my pleasure. To go in directions unknown to your awareness of means used to strap and confine competition, this would also be my pleasure.

Page 71 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •