View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 70 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #691
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    88
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Income Inequality

    As government has grown as a larger part of the economy, the income gap increases. Here's an article I wrote for Anonymous on why. Please read and let me know of any criticisms you have.

    Why We Should Trust Each other to Solve Inequality - And Not The Government - AnonHQ AnonHQ

  2. #692
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what a stupid definition of "income redistribution"

    you act as if the Clinton tax rates are natural and proper
    Its not a stupid definition at all, it is in fact reality. People such as yourself love to cry "income redistribution" when changes in tax rates benefit the middle and working class and yet when changes to tax rates help the wealthy you call it "allowing them to keep more of their money". Its a fallacy based in rhetoric. Sorry....that is just the simple truth whether you like it or not.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #693
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Income Inequality

    First there is a mis-measure of income inequality. The poorest among us overwhelmingly are single moms who are often on multiple government welfare programs. When equating their income the value of these benefits are often overlooked. But truth be known when the value of these benefits are included in with income, they often surpass median income levels. That's the first part of the big lie about income inequality.

    The second part of this lie is the very people proclaiming “a dangerous and growing inequality and lack of upward mobility” are the same bunch that supported Obamacare which in itself has caused fulltime employment to shift to part time by 2% in the first year it was implemented even with Obama's delays on businesses. Once those delays expire more and more workers will be finding themselves employed on a part-time basis. The same bunch proclaiming "a dangerous and growing inequality and lack of upward mobility" are the same folks that support the dramatic surge in federal regulations that harm economic growth.

  4. #694
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Mizuho View Post
    What about generational inequality? It's one thing for the rich to be clever and work hard to make more, it's another for generational wealth to be passed down and idiots living off the interest.
    A fool and his money are soon parted, probably faster than anything government would do. Do you happen to have an example of some heir or heiress idiot living off the interest, or are you making an assumption?

  5. #695
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Mizuho View Post
    What about generational inequality? It's one thing for the rich to be clever and work hard to make more, it's another for generational wealth to be passed down and idiots living off the interest.
    but see...thats great too

    how long do you think Paris Hilton will hold onto her riches?

    some people are equipped to deal with stuff....some arent

    just as the poor can become wealthy in a generation or two, the wealthy can become poor

    we hear about it all the time....people taking way too many risks

    i have zero issue with family inheritance.....i want to leave my children better off than i was

    and i see nothing wrong with the government getting a small slice of the pie (about 25%)

    those that use their wealth to better themselves and the world around them.....bravo

    those that piss it away on drugs, parties, and alcohol....oh well
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #696
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Keithknight13 View Post
    As government has grown as a larger part of the economy, the income gap increases. Here's an article I wrote for Anonymous on why. Please read and let me know of any criticisms you have.

    Why We Should Trust Each other to Solve Inequality - And Not The Government - AnonHQ AnonHQ
    It appears that government growth is actually starting back down now. If that's accurate, then it's a good thing.

    I can't see how that is going to solve income inequality, though, unless it means that less tax money is going to go into subsidies for the large corporations.

    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #697
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    you are simply dismissing and excusing the capture of wealth by the top quintile and telling me that even though I know more than my father, i work longer hours, I have greater skills and am more productive, I should be satisfied that I make the same as he did. I should not expect greater levels of income for my higher levels of work.

    This is a common argument from libertarians, do not see that that the top have captured a larger share. I have never understood this protection of the wealthy, it is as if they need your defense.

    Even the source you linked to has a link the original data on mobility where so much of chances of mobility depend upon where you grow up....basically, the parents you choose. It is in fact, a lot about luck. But then the further one goes to right ideology, the more the emphasis is placed on morality, less on circumstance.

    We did build this, we should share in the gains.

    you are simply dismissing and excusing the capture of wealth by the top quintile and telling me that even though I know more than my father, i work longer hours, I have greater skills and am more productive, I should be satisfied that I make the same as he did. I should not expect greater levels of income for my higher levels of work.

    no....you need to talk to your boss

    if you are as you say, better, faster, smarter, and more productive, and earning what he did...you have a problem

    i dont know what that problem is....maybe it is the career.....maybe the place of employment....or maybe its you

    but what you say doesnt make sense without more information

    i make 5x what my father did in his best year....

    different skills, different career.....and my dad retired as a gs9 with just under 50 years of federal service
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #698
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Hey! Pay attention!

    I made no comment about the study ... evidently, trying to find information was too difficult for the left wing ... so, I simply googled to show that it COULD be done. You didn't see me agree/disagree with the example. Frankly, I didn't even bother to read it ... it was an EXAMPLE of how to collect data.

    Get over it ... you can't make your argument stand up, so you want to attack an example of a google search that seems to be so much more difficult for the left to perform? Could that be because you can't find data to support your position?

    Get a life ....
    Look, you banked on a ****ty study that turned out to be lies. Own up to it, man. You were wrong. Get over it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #699
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Hey! Pay attention!

    I made no comment about the study ... evidently, trying to find information was too difficult for the left wing ... so, I simply googled to show that it COULD be done. You didn't see me agree/disagree with the example. Frankly, I didn't even bother to read it ... it was an EXAMPLE of how to collect data.

    Get over it ... you can't make your argument stand up, so you want to attack an example of a google search that seems to be so much more difficult for the left to perform? Could that be because you can't find data to support your position?

    Get a life ....
    Well, that's a new excuse for passing off easily debunkable garbage as fact and getting caught doing it.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #700
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,555

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its not a stupid definition at all, it is in fact reality. People such as yourself love to cry "income redistribution" when changes in tax rates benefit the middle and working class and yet when changes to tax rates help the wealthy you call it "allowing them to keep more of their money". Its a fallacy based in rhetoric. Sorry....that is just the simple truth whether you like it or not.
    the top 5% pay more than half the income tax burden and all the death tax burden so your definition is moronic and based on your faith based belief that the rich should pay many dollars for one dollar of government service while everyone else should pay less than a dime



Page 70 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •