View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 67 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #661
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Income Inequality

    Why do you say indisputable. Not only is it but your premis is nothing but Democratic Party talking point lies.
    Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

    Table 4 shows clearly the changes are nominal and in fact minuscule over nearly 90 years. Also the table is based solely on percentage where as 1% in 1922 was 1.2 million and 1% today is distributed over 3.2 million.

    Take your talking points for the DNC back to your beloved underground and do not state your opinion as fact.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    It's indisputable fact that income inequality in the United States has grown substantially in the past few decades.

    Median nominal incomes, adjusted for inflation, have not gone up in the USA since the 50's. (Median is the halfway point, so we are talking about the middle-earner). In contrast, the per capita GDP has risen quite dramatically, due to the increased purchasing power of the upper echelon.


    I pose three questions to you:

    1.) What has caused this phenomenon
    2.) What are the long term implications if the trend is allowed to continue
    3.) What, if anything, should be done to adjust our course


    Thanks

  2. #662
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Why do you say indisputable. Not only is it but your premis is nothing but Democratic Party talking point lies.
    Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

    Table 4 shows clearly the changes are nominal and in fact minuscule over nearly 90 years. Also the table is based solely on percentage where as 1% in 1922 was 1.2 million and 1% today is distributed over 3.2 million.

    Take your talking points for the DNC back to your beloved underground and do not state your opinion as fact.
    Sigh...lets explore some data:







    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #663
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Actually, it's pretty simple ... Google to the rescue.

    This week, the Cato Institute released a new study calculating the state-by-state value of this typical welfare package for a mother with two children participating in seven common welfare programs — Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), food stamps (SNAP), Medicaid, housing assistance, WIC, energy assistance (LIHEAP), and free commodities. We found that, in 2013, the value of those benefits varied widely across states, from a low of $16,984 in Mississippi to an astonishing high of $49,175 in Hawaii.

    In nine states — Hawaii, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Rhode Island, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maryland — as well as Washington, D.C., annual benefits were worth more than $35,000 a year. The median value of the welfare package across the 50 states is $28,500.


    Do the same for 1993.

    You said that welfare had stagnated for the past 50 years ... the numbers say otherwise. If THAT error is noted, it casts doubt on the rest of your commentary. Maybe you need to prove all of them ...
    Cato's study was full of ****. Their "typical welfare family" was absurd. Not at all representative of reality. They just fabricated a theoretical family collecting the maximum amount from every program, failing to account for the fact that this is impossible. (many means-tested programs count other social safety nets in their calculations, so you can't be eligible for all of them at once) Furthermore, they ignored the fact that the vast majority of those families have someone in the household working, which further reduces the total available benefits.

    They ****ing lied to you, and you took it as gospel because it said what you wanted to hear.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #664
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Cato's study was full of ****. Their "typical welfare family" was absurd. Not at all representative of reality. They just fabricated a theoretical family collecting the maximum amount from every program, failing to account for the fact that this is impossible. (many means-tested programs count other social safety nets in their calculations, so you can't be eligible for all of them at once) Furthermore, they ignored the fact that the vast majority of those families have someone in the household working, which further reduces the total available benefits.

    They ****ing lied to you, and you took it as gospel because it said what you wanted to hear.

    LOL ... you are proof the easiest person to deceive is yourself. You conveniently ignore the subject of the discussion, so you can harangue about how a mother with two children participating in seven programs. If you had actually read the thread, I was told it couldn't be done ... and I showed a simple methodology that, in fact, said it could.

    Give me a break ... if you don't like the numbers, present your own.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  5. #665
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    LOL ... you are proof the easiest person to deceive is yourself. You conveniently ignore the subject of the discussion, so you can harangue about how a mother with two children participating in seven programs. If you had actually read the thread, I was told it couldn't be done ... and I showed a simple methodology that, in fact, said it could.

    Give me a break ... if you don't like the numbers, present your own.
    You showed a pack of lies that you bought.

    The Conservative Case For Welfare Reform Suffers Massive Blow Via Cato Institute Study - Forbes

    Cato Study Distorts the Truth on Welfare and Work | Economic Policy Institute

    Does Welfare Really Pay Better Than Work? - Business Insider
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #666
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Income Inequality

    So change the narrative from 1% to 10%, use media (The Atlantic left wing rag) instead of academics like idea. You can lie all you want the fact is the poor are better off dramatically so, and the to is distributed in 3x the population and none of your DNC talking crap points can change those FACTS with your beloved social agenda.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Sigh...lets explore some data:








  7. #667
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,908

    Re: Income Inequality

    From the Forbes link:

    The problem is, based on the shocking bogus methodology utilized by the study—a methodology that could only have been chosen to achieve a desired result—the claim turns out to be complete, unadulterated nonsense easily disproven through a modicum of effort and understanding no more than the basics of how welfare works and who receives the benefits.
    This is a longer way of saying "owned."
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #668
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Income redistribution is something that ALWAYS happens in America....despite the cries and whines from the right-wing about it. GBW tax cuts for the wealthiest of Americans "redistributed" wealth to the wealthiest 1% of the population. Democrat tax cuts for the middle class "redistribute" wealth back to the middle class. This is the reality of living in a capitalistic society.

    what a stupid definition of "income redistribution"

    you act as if the Clinton tax rates are natural and proper



  9. #669
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    So change the narrative from 1% to 10%, use media (The Atlantic left wing rag) instead of academics like idea.
    Like "idea"?!?

    Actually, the first graph is Piketty/Saez and the last one is just income data collected by the NYT
    You can lie all you want
    I have not posted any lies, nor have you shown they are.
    the fact is the poor are better off dramatically so
    False, in real terms the lowest quintile has lost wealth and has lower wages.
    and the to is distributed in 3x the population
    Um, again, the data shows the average incomes for individuals in the top 1%, 0.1% and the 0.01%.
    and none of your DNC talking crap points can change those FACTS with your beloved social agenda.
    You are not relying on facts, you are relying on falsehoods and rhetoric.

    EDIT: Upon further review, the data for the last graph is from the Paris School of Economics, ie Piketty et al.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 09-29-14 at 12:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #670
    Educator GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-07-17 @ 01:26 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    699

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It isn't Walmart. Go find me some AMerican made products to buy ANYWHERE. It's not easy to do. The finest clothing stores are selling Chinese crap.
    It's sure easy to find American made products to buy. MRI machines and many other advanced medical equipment. Jet engines and other aircraft parts (and whole jets too, as a matter of fact, as well as helicopters). Packaged medicaments. Software such as Microsoft Office and integrated circuits (Intel inside!). Gas turbines, valves, centrifuges, and air pumps. Advanced weapons of war. With all the talk of American losing the means of production, our GDP is still the biggest in the world. It's just that we moved to massively lucrative goods, and left the cheap crap to the Chinese.

    As for income inequity, America still has the highest average household income in all of the OECD countries (basically, the developed world), and second largest median household income.

    So, it seems like we're complaining a bit like spoiled brats.

    This said, it is true that productivity used to go hand in hand with average household income up to about 1972, and now productivity continues to grow while income is stagnant. But still, we have it better than the overwhelming majority of the world.
    Last edited by GreatNews2night; 09-29-14 at 12:11 AM.

Page 67 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •