View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 62 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #611
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You don't, and he has consistently argued that.
    for your argument to hold water you'd have to claim that government expenditures on the top 5% are greater than on the rest of the other 95%

    guess what, you cannot



  2. #612
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    You're absolutely wrong .. we "RW cons" don't argue about the level of services utilized
    Uh huh...
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I do use less (govt resources)
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #613
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Uh huh...
    again you are wrong



  4. #614
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    07-18-15 @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    731

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    All of that has absolutely nothing to do with getting out of the morass that liberals have consigned the poor into ... but, hey, if you're looking for an excuse, THAT is as good a one as I've heard lately.
    Vague allusions to am talk radio-ish attitudes about poverty isn't going to get you anywhere. Obviously that stuff is just nonsense they feed to the ignorant in the south.

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    You are taking a single comment, and trying to spread it like mayonnaise over everything. I'm curious ... what was the welfare package like 20 years ago? The unemployment package? The government healthcare package? The government food package? Government education packages?
    Far more generous than it is today. Roughly 4 times as many people received welfare in the early 1990s as do today for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    However, let's talk about your statement .... if I go to https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/pove.../thresh93.html, I see that the inflation adjusted poverty level for a family of three in 1993 was $11,631, and that in 2013 it was $18,751. While I recognize that ain't a heck of a lot of money, it DOES put the lie to your statement. In addition, you fail to consider the significant increase in hand-outs, which, most assuredly, also have a value.

    Now, since you brought it up, let's look at those in the 80-90% range. File:United States Income Distribution 1967-2003.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows us that the average income in the 80-90% increased from $75,000 (80% in 1993) to $125,000 (90% in 2005)

    So, while your rhetoric sounds nice, and makes everyone feel good, it simply doesn't pass the truth test.
    You apparently forgot to adjust for inflation- CPI Inflation Calculator

    $11,631 in 1993 is $19,145 today, so they have in fact lost income.

  5. #615
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Income Inequality

    My real fear is that we end up with a humongous poverty class, that eventually cannot be supported with the life basics, housing, water, food and medical. It's how protests, mobs and riots evolve into revolution. The amount of permanently unemployed is continuing to grow, and I don't see how forcing corporate executives to take a pay cut really helps the situation, unless they use the extra money to hire people. But since that's not really a sound business practice, it's not likely to happen or solve anything.

    What we really need is new tech or housing type 'bubble', but with extended slow growth, rather than an explosion of wealth for the rich. The quandary is how to start this cycle, besides a political issue like 'green' energy. Call it new sources of energy, make it profitable enough for production jobs to be created, and not a one sided situation where only a small portion of those involved benefit.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #616
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is good to read your admission that you feel you have no obligations to society as a whole. I always knew you held to this selfish viewpoint.
    I would think such a conclusion would be easy to discover by just reading through the last few threads I started, but yes, I only have those obligations I agreed upon. The idea I have an obligation to provide people the basics in life is not one I'm all that willing to accept.

  7. #617
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I do use less

    and for your argument to have merit

    YOU WOULD HAVE TO PROVE that the TOP 5% (who pay more than HALF THE INCOME TAXES) use more government services than the other 95%


    You just missed the point entirely

    THE MILITARY DOES NOT REBUILD homes so the insurance issue is not applicable

    ask any policeman in a big city
    Um, they are protecting your property, you have much more value to protect, ergo, you should pay a greater level and rate.


    WHERE ARE MORE POLICE RESOURCES allocated

    POOR neighborhoods or rich ones
    You mean to protect your property from hoodlums?

    how about fire departments
    I have seen lots of much better equipped FD in rich areas.

    and guess who the government spends more money on INCARCERATING
    Again, to protect your wealth.

    I hope it doesn't have to be pointed out once again that state local taxes are regressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #618
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Um, they are protecting your property, you have much more value to protect, ergo, you should pay a greater level and rate.
    A bit erroneous really. Police to the most part don't protect much of anything and are a terrible security force. They are far better at dealing with criminals after the fact than they are at protection.

  9. #619
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I would think such a conclusion would be easy to discover by just reading through the last few threads I started, but yes, I only have those obligations I agreed upon. The idea I have an obligation to provide people the basics in life is not one I'm all that willing to accept.
    You skipped over your selfish comment, that you have benefited from many others in society but feel no obligation to society.

    This is the freeloading libertarian dictum.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #620
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    again you are wrong
    I'm not "wrong" you silly. He said "cons don't argue about the levels of services used", and then you prove HIM wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 62 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •