View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 61 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #601
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,529

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    That's all great fine and dandy, I just don't want to read you complaining about SNAP or TANF while we are still far from having at risk households meeting their basic needs
    Even when those programs keep growing, and people trying to make it with an entry level job have less than people who depend on the government?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #602
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
    Yes definitely. Wages for the bottom 90% have stagnated for almost 2 decades in a row now. All- literally all- of the GDP growth in the past 15 years has gone to the top 1%. That wasn't the case at all up until the 1960s or so. In those days, everybody was able to participate in the economic success of the country.
    All of that has absolutely nothing to do with getting out of the morass that liberals have consigned the poor into ... but, hey, if you're looking for an excuse, THAT is as good a one as I've heard lately.

    You are taking a single comment, and trying to spread it like mayonnaise over everything. I'm curious ... what was the welfare package like 20 years ago? The unemployment package? The government healthcare package? The government food package? Government education packages?

    If I accept - and, believe me, I don't - that wages have stagnated, none of that changes how difficult it is to move forward.

    However, let's talk about your statement .... if I go to https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/pove.../thresh93.html, I see that the inflation adjusted poverty level for a family of three in 1993 was $11,631, and that in 2013 it was $18,751. While I recognize that ain't a heck of a lot of money, it DOES put the lie to your statement. In addition, you fail to consider the significant increase in hand-outs, which, most assuredly, also have a value.

    Now, since you brought it up, let's look at those in the 80-90% range. File:United States Income Distribution 1967-2003.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia shows us that the average income in the 80-90% increased from $75,000 (80% in 1993) to $125,000 (90% in 2005)

    So, while your rhetoric sounds nice, and makes everyone feel good, it simply doesn't pass the truth test.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  3. #603
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so how do you use MORE of that than some guy paying less taxes
    This is our old argument, the question is how you think you use less of those services than middle income earners

    leftwing income redistributionists try so hard to pretend that the rich use more using phony analogies
    RW cons try to deny the level of services they utilize while also denying the level of the income pie they consume

    for example, the cost of replacing a 6 million dollar homes costs more than replacing a 59K home. But it doesn't cost the military any more to defend a millionaire's home than yours
    Tell me, are those insurance costs the same....and is all your wealth tied up in that property?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #604
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, your experience is not true for everyone.....OBVIOUSLY.

    See, that is the irony of your argument, you rely on the absolute that anyone "could" have the same outcome as you, but when they don't, you either assign a personal failing to them or reject the possibility of failure from circumstance.

    With RWers, failure is always a matter of ethics.
    See? I knew if you hung around with smart people long enough, you'd figure it out!!!

    Congratulations ... and welcome to the real world.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  5. #605
    Educator
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Last Seen
    10-23-14 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    945

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is our old argument, the question is how you think you use less of those services than middle income earners

    RW cons try to deny the level of services they utilize while also denying the level of the income pie they consume

    Tell me, are those insurance costs the same....and is all your wealth tied up in that property?
    You're absolutely wrong .. we "RW cons" don't argue about the level of services utilized, we merely point out that we paid more for what we used.
    We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.
    - Orson Welles

  6. #606
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Even when those programs keep growing, and people trying to make it with an entry level job have less than people who depend on the government?
    I don't know what you mean, a household with employment still can receive aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #607
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    See? I knew if you hung around with smart people long enough, you'd figure it out!!!

    Congratulations ... and welcome to the real world.
    If you think I made your point, think again.

    Living with the absolute that anyone can do the same thing as you is false at face value.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #608
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is our old argument, the question is how you think you use less of those services than middle income earners

    RW cons try to deny the level of services they utilize while also denying the level of the income pie they consume

    Tell me, are those insurance costs the same....and is all your wealth tied up in that property?
    I do use less

    and for your argument to have merit

    YOU WOULD HAVE TO PROVE that the TOP 5% (who pay more than HALF THE INCOME TAXES) use more government services than the other 95%


    You just missed the point entirely

    THE MILITARY DOES NOT REBUILD homes so the insurance issue is not applicable

    ask any policeman in a big city


    WHERE ARE MORE POLICE RESOURCES allocated

    POOR neighborhoods or rich ones

    how about fire departments

    and guess who the government spends more money on INCARCERATING



  9. #609
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    You're absolutely wrong .. we "RW cons" don't argue about the level of services utilized, we merely point out that we paid more for what we used.
    You don't, and he has consistently argued that.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #610
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I had to think about that one. Yes, no doubt it is to my benefit that my neighbors are not homeless. Their having or not having a car is immaterial to me. They can ride the bus or walk, it makes no difference to me. Yes, it's better that they have food to eat. It makes them less likely to try to steal mine.

    You just made a good argument for rent subsidies and food stamps, maybe.

    But, it's also to my benefit that others be able to provide those basic things for themselves, which argues for employment and training, and that such things as rent subsidies and food stamps be temporary.
    I was borrowing the socialist argument and stretching to it's logical limits to demonstrate its absurdity. The idea we should pay for things because it benefits all of us logically leads to the conclusion that we should almost pay for everything. I suppose you are right about cars as we could just as easily provide them bus fare, but the point appears to stand none the less. Really, if you think about it, Orwell was right to stretch this argument to everything except entertainment.

Page 61 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •