View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 60 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #591
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why? Is it not to your benefit that they are not homeless, have a car to get to work, and food to eat? Is it not to your benefit that children are not hungry when they go to school? Why doesn't this argument of collective benefit apply to almost anything people do to better their life?
    I had to think about that one. Yes, no doubt it is to my benefit that my neighbors are not homeless. Their having or not having a car is immaterial to me. They can ride the bus or walk, it makes no difference to me. Yes, it's better that they have food to eat. It makes them less likely to try to steal mine.

    You just made a good argument for rent subsidies and food stamps, maybe.

    But, it's also to my benefit that others be able to provide those basic things for themselves, which argues for employment and training, and that such things as rent subsidies and food stamps be temporary.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #592
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I had to think about that one. Yes, no doubt it is to my benefit that my neighbors are not homeless. Their having or not having a car is immaterial to me. They can ride the bus or walk, it makes no difference to me. Yes, it's better that they have food to eat. It makes them less likely to try to steal mine.

    You just made a good argument for rent subsidies and food stamps, maybe.

    But, it's also to my benefit that others be able to provide those basic things for themselves, which argues for employment and training, and that such things as rent subsidies and food stamps be temporary.
    It "should" be "temporary", just as it "should" that wage gains and job availability were a realistic expectation.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #593
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is good to read your admission that you feel you have no obligations to society as a whole. I always knew you held to this selfish viewpoint.
    do you know what real selfishness is

    demanding others pay for the government goodies you want

    demanding others pay higher taxes so you can get what you want without paying for it



  4. #594
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It "should" be "temporary", just as it "should" that wage gains and job availability were a realistic expectation.
    and since it's not temporary, as we all know, does that mean we...

    continue payments indefinitely just so people aren't homeless and starving, or
    work to increase the number of well paying jobs and train people for them?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #595
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    You want my story?? Would it make a difference, or would you just discount it as an 'anecdote'? When, actually, it is proof that what you say is false. See, if I were to tell you my story, you would call it a lie, or an anecdote, and provides no proof at all. But, I would say ... quite to the contrary, it proves it can be done ... and, if I can do it, anybody can. They simply choose not to. And, THAT, does not compute in your fantasy world.
    No, your experience is not true for everyone.....OBVIOUSLY.

    So, if it were up to me, "world would starve to death, be wage slaves forever, and be a much bigger ish hole than it already is....". Interesting ... how do you know that to be true about me? Big on assumptions ... short on facts. You claim to be open minded ... but that's only when it fits neatly into your little paradigm. You have no tolerance for anything that violates YOUR perception of the world.
    See, that is the irony of your argument, you rely on the absolute that anyone "could" have the same outcome as you, but when they don't, you either assign a personal failing to them or reject the possibility of failure from circumstance.

    With RWers, failure is always a matter of ethics.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #596
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    and since it's not temporary, as we all know, does that mean we...
    Of course, because market perfection is a pipe dream.

    continue payments indefinitely just so people aren't homeless and starving, or
    work to increase the number of well paying jobs and train people for them?
    Sure, I'll take part B....but again, there is a built in assumption of everything goes right for everyone, a perfect market, no hindrance to employment...yadda yadda.

    If only humans were perfect, then so the market would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #597
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    do you know what real selfishness is

    demanding others pay for the government goodies you want

    demanding others pay higher taxes so you can get what you want without paying for it
    You mean govt goodies, like a safe banking system, a legal system that protects my vast wealth, a military that makes sure no one invades and seizes my property, that keeps the shipping lanes open that allows my vast investments to grow....?

    Oh...wait....you mean this:



    I mean...gee....obviously we have UE numbers like 2005 NOW
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #598
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Of course, because market perfection is a pipe dream.

    Sure, I'll take part B....but again, there is a built in assumption of everything goes right for everyone, a perfect market, no hindrance to employment...yadda yadda.

    If only humans were perfect, then so the market would be.
    The market will never be perfect, but there are some things that could be done to make it better. Earlier in this thread, I made the following suggestions:

    Raise the cap on Social Security,
    Encourage unionization of workers.
    Get rid of minimum wage and welfare benefits. Substitute the government as the employer of last resort.
    Quit just playing lip service to ending illegal immigration,
    Get the cost of health insurance off of the backs of the employers.
    Treat all income as equal for tax purposes. No special rates for capital gains.
    Don't bail out entities "too big to fail" then let them pay their chiefs multi billion dollar "bonuses."

    To which Peter Grimm added:
    Invest in worker re-education
    -Invest in technologies that could make us more price-competitive on the manufacturing front.... like robotics
    -Regulate consumer lending policies more carefully
    -Close tax loopholes for companies moving overseas
    -Work with international banking establishments to put pressure on China to end it's currency manipulation

    all of which would help, IMO.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #599
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You mean govt goodies, like a safe banking system, a legal system that protects my vast wealth, a military that makes sure no one invades and seizes my property, that keeps the shipping lanes open that allows my vast investments to grow....?

    Oh...wait....you mean this:

    so how do you use MORE of that than some guy paying less taxes

    leftwing income redistributionists try so hard to pretend that the rich use more using phony analogies

    for example, the cost of replacing a 6 million dollar homes costs more than replacing a 59K home. But it doesn't cost the military any more to defend a millionaire's home than yours



  10. #600
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The market will never be perfect, but there are some things that could be done to make it better. Earlier in this thread, I made the following suggestions:

    Raise the cap on Social Security,
    Encourage unionization of workers.
    Get rid of minimum wage and welfare benefits. Substitute the government as the employer of last resort.
    Quit just playing lip service to ending illegal immigration,
    Get the cost of health insurance off of the backs of the employers.
    Treat all income as equal for tax purposes. No special rates for capital gains.
    Don't bail out entities "too big to fail" then let them pay their chiefs multi billion dollar "bonuses."

    To which Peter Grimm added:
    Invest in worker re-education
    -Invest in technologies that could make us more price-competitive on the manufacturing front.... like robotics
    -Regulate consumer lending policies more carefully
    -Close tax loopholes for companies moving overseas
    -Work with international banking establishments to put pressure on China to end it's currency manipulation

    all of which would help, IMO.
    That's all great fine and dandy, I just don't want to read you complaining about SNAP or TANF while we are still far from having at risk households meeting their basic needs
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 60 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •