View Poll Results: What should be done to battle income inequality in the USA?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not intervene

    47 51.09%
  • Yes, do intervene

    45 48.91%
Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 1006

Thread: Income Inequality

  1. #321
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    There's a lot of discussion about school choice. I haven't been able to find any but for the people that act as if it's a no brainer, which country that beats the US in test scores use a private system or a system that includes lots of private schools?

    Most I've found are highly centralized public school system and teacher are typically well paid. In some of the countries teachers are revered by society.

    If there is a school system out there performing well with a public private mix or heavily private I can see how some people might point to that as why we should go private but at the moment, all I see is trillion in potential wealth to private companies at stake and huge PR campaigns in which what's promised doesn't pan out.
    Such a good argument.

    To add to it the literacy rates in america are also very skewed. For example their are loads of kids in my city that cannot read or right properly, cannot do math at all, and certainly no nothing of science and history, they are far from "literate" They have high school diplomas though because the teachers/schools are soooooooooo underfunded (thanks to ppl like tom Corbet) that they allow them to graduate anyway and simply don't have the time to make sure a class of 50 kids can do the simple things necessary for life...

    Its really sad...

  2. #322
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    Such a good argument.

    To add to it the literacy rates in america are also very skewed. For example their are loads of kids in my city that cannot read or right properly, cannot do math at all, and certainly no nothing of science and history, they are far from "literate" They have high school diplomas though because the teachers/schools are soooooooooo underfunded (thanks to ppl like tom Corbet) that they allow them to graduate anyway and simply don't have the time to make sure a class of 50 kids can do the simple things necessary for life...

    Its really sad...
    I'm going to assume the misspellings are ironic.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  3. #323
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    Stuff you'll generally disagree with.

    Tying executive compensation to worker pay is one area which goes to ensure all are befitting more equally from a strongly preforming company.

    Protecting international workers and environments to level the playing field that selects against American workers and manufacturing.

    Single payer healthcare so that employees can negotiate income separately from benefits.

    A more robust retirement program to supplement the historic drop in defined pension programs for American workers.

    An overtime structure that doesn't discriminate against workers combining multiple part time jobs to achieve full time employment.

    A reversal of "right to work" laws, which primarily serve business interests rather than worker interests.

    Raising minimum wage.

    Increased public funding for higher education. Companies expecting highly trained employees should contribute to the cost of educating them, rather than forcing a crippling debt load onto those least capable of immediately repaying it.

    You can be dismissive, but these aren't unsolvable issues, even if there will be compromise in order to actually solve them.
    Very nice wish list. I am not crying on your shoulder here, but I come from a very poor family. My mother raised 3 children while never having a job that paid more than minimum wage. I was taught at a very early age that "what you put into something is what you get out of it". We were never taught the new American way of having envy or being jealous of others. I never went to college. I work when I want and choose who I work for. I don't have a 9 to 5 job. I generally work 6-7 months out of the year and make over 6 figures. I keep my mortgage paid up for 6 months in advance. I am married and my wife does not have to work. I pay for our health insurance. As I said before my Mother never had a job that paid more than minimum wage and she was able to retire at 62 years of age. She knew how to invest her nickels and dimes and lives very comfortable now. So please forgive if I cannot fathom how others cannot do the same thing. I am a firm believer in giving people a helping hand when it is needed, but not for generations of welfare leeches. Good luck with your dream list.

  4. #324
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    I'm going to assume the misspellings are ironic.
    Haha no that would be auto correct and me not noticing its wrong, I gotta figure out how to get auto correct off aggressive... Its not misspelled its misused.

    And tapatalk won't let me edit for some reason...

  5. #325
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Very nice wish list. I am not crying on your shoulder here, but I come from a very poor family. My mother raised 3 children while never having a job that paid more than minimum wage. I was taught at a very early age that "what you put into something is what you get out of it". We were never taught the new American way of having envy or being jealous of others. I never went to college. I work when I want and choose who I work for. I don't have a 9 to 5 job. I generally work 6-7 months out of the year and make over 6 figures. I keep my mortgage paid up for 6 months in advance. I am married and my wife does not have to work. I pay for our health insurance. As I said before my Mother never had a job that paid more than minimum wage and she was able to retire at 62 years of age. She knew how to invest her nickels and dimes and lives very comfortable now. So please forgive if I cannot fathom how others cannot do the same thing. I am a firm believer in giving people a helping hand when it is needed, but not for generations of welfare leeches. Good luck with your dream list.
    And let me guess she never used welfare or any other form of public assistance? And frankly your probably full of bs... Your math just does not add up (for you or your mom)

    What's your job that let's you work part time n make 6 figures?
    Last edited by b_dubz; 09-26-14 at 08:27 PM.

  6. #326
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    And she never used welfare or any other form of public assistance? And frankly your probably full of bs... Your math just does not add up (for you or your mom)

    What's your job that let's you work part time n make 6 figures?
    Believe what you wish. And it is none of your business what I do. My paycheck speaks for itself.

  7. #327
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Believe what you wish. And it is none of your business what I do. My paycheck speaks for itself.
    Well it is if your gonna post on here to add to your argument but you refuse to prove it... If not then dont bother talking about it and don't be mad when I say your full of it!

    And did she use any sort of public assistance? I'm assuming your gonna say no...

  8. #328
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    Well it is if your gonna post on here to add to your argument but you refuse to prove it... If not then dont bother talking about it and don't be mad when I say your full of it!

    And did she use any sort of public assistance? I'm assuming your gonna say no...
    I am not mad, you are the one who is angry. Since you are so concerned about my post, the answer is NO as far as I know.

  9. #329
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Right. Because, otherwise, we wouldn't use banks, and that would be catastrophic for a lot of rich people. And those runs on banks prior to the great depression were the direct result of miss handling of funds BY those banks. It's a pre bailout, bailout, for banks.
    It would be catastrophic for middle class as well.

    Yes, it was at least in part the result of mishandling of funds, of too easy credit, of speculation... come to think of it, sort of the same thing that happened again in '08.

    Only there was no run on the banks then.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #330
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Income Inequality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    Very nice wish list. I am not crying on your shoulder here, but I come from a very poor family. My mother raised 3 children while never having a job that paid more than minimum wage. I was taught at a very early age that "what you put into something is what you get out of it". We were never taught the new American way of having envy or being jealous of others. I never went to college. I work when I want and choose who I work for. I don't have a 9 to 5 job. I generally work 6-7 months out of the year and make over 6 figures. I keep my mortgage paid up for 6 months in advance. I am married and my wife does not have to work. I pay for our health insurance. As I said before my Mother never had a job that paid more than minimum wage and she was able to retire at 62 years of age. She knew how to invest her nickels and dimes and lives very comfortable now. So please forgive if I cannot fathom how others cannot do the same thing. I am a firm believer in giving people a helping hand when it is needed, but not for generations of welfare leeches. Good luck with your dream list.
    While it's good to hear stories of people who escape intergenerational poverty, your story is unfortunately not a particularly likely scenario.



    This is a chart that shows American social mobility -- the likelihood that you'll live in a different economic level than you were born into.

    As you'll notice, while there's a few people that make the jump from the bottom to the top, and vice versa, it's not a particularly good likelihood. The majority are stuck near where we start.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •