View Poll Results: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 45.16%
  • No

    17 54.84%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 87

Thread: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

  1. #71
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Please keep up.

    The appeal to the "international community" came early this year when John Kerry was drooling over a "teensy attack". If you don't think Obama hasn't been twisting arms at the UN, you are too naive to debate.
    In the famous "red line" the president of the United States forged ahead with his plan to attack and then asked for help, and got no's from Germany, Poland, France, Canada, and even Britain had to take it to a commons vote which they lost by one vote, just enough government members to kill it. He has run out of 'friends'...long ago

    Now he has a "coalition" of his pet rocks David Cameron and Stephen Harper who are sincerely pledging moral support and that they won't gouge too much for body bags and materiel. It's hard to take you seriously when you exhibit such ignorance on this file, yet continue to froth with opinions even after having demonstrated that you're entirely wrong.

    What Obama should have done is what presidents before him have done, and sat down with Putin and had a chat about what was going on in Syria instead of making it into another dick-swinging contest.
    Really he should have offered to end embargoes on Iran. Then they probably would not block us on this action in the UN... and just because somebody disagrees with you does not make them uneducated on the topic, as you always seem to think...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    No he equates Iraq's relationship to the US to be the same as Ukraine's relationship to Russia, never mind the fact Russian in the language of most Ukrainians many of whom did not want to side with USA.

    The argument that the leadership was corrupt is the only parallel and if that is the grounds for a legal invasion, then China and Russia can loose the hounds of war with impunity. One look at some of the voting registration and illegals and a host of nations would be bombing Euclid, Ohio by now, not to mention the tobacco and arms lobbies, and a few hundred bridges to nowhere.
    Also I was only equating the action of the invasion ie the legality of invading another sovereign nation unprovoked. (had you actually read what I wrote) not the situations themselves.

    What makes you think they did not want to side with the EU? (Not USA, as thats was what started this whole thing, siding with the EU.) The Crimean certainly wanted to side with Russia, the rest of the country is hard to say because the vote was a obvious sham (as is well documented in vices Russian roulette coverage)

  2. #72
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    We've already set up a coalition with Arab nations and some European ones, so I'd say the international community is very much in this. So, put that one to rest.

    We hit the right people far more, if we hit the wrong ones it's unfortunate collateral damage. It's gonna happen one way or another, don't be naive. Innocent people sadly get pulled into violence.

    And no, bombs don't constitute a full invasion.

    Gonna stop here, this is pointless.
    I don't care what you say flying planes and over and dropping bombs on a another country is a invasion. I said nothing of full... But its a invasion none the less...

    And no we bomb the wrong people all the time! We bombed a grandma in he middle of a field with nothing around her! Signature strikes are so flawed its insane! The fighters in those country's have taken to swapping sim cards with others because they know that's what we are using to lock onto them!

  3. #73
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,566
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coin View Post
    Well, ISIS does not work as a direct agent of Damascus and under its operational control.

    Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?



    Yes, they are legal. If Jefferson could attack the Barbary pirates without a formal declaration of war by Congress then Obama can attack ISIS.

    The basis of Jefferson's actions were the fact that the Barbary pirates declared war on the US (not through any legal paperwork but by their traditional method of cutting down the flag at the US Consulate), and Congress funded and authorized military action.

    Likewise, ISIS has declared war on the US by cutting off the heads of our citizens and posting videos of the acts to social media, the bastards. And vowing to plant the ISIS flag in front of the White House. No more clear and true declaration of war could ever be made.

    So this is no time to go wobbly.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #74
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    Yea pay no attention to the massive jump of imports right around the war... None at all...
    We were trading oil with Iraq for 6 years prior to 2003.

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    And it would be the oil industry and the military industrial complex as a whole. IE the people who stand to profit...
    Profiteers have existed since war existed. Nothing we can do will change that.

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    Builderburg is a place where the elite go to meet and greet for huge treats... They certainly conspire their... To what extent who knows.... The illuminati is for wackos and false...

    I think it is likely however that the world elite do conspire to maintain control, and to discuss their various nefarious agendas...
    That's good.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #75
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Frankly I don't know for sure that anything in the past several decades has been legal.

    Seems like the government cares little for the rule of law anymore.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #76
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    No. By internatinonal law they are not legal. Hell, if you are gonna try to do this "its obabma faults thing", well the vast majority of our airstrikes havent been legall by UN standards for 30year times...


  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,358

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Failed State, as some presumed criticism of president Assad! Western powers along with a little help from a few Arab states have supported all manner of AQ, MB, Al Nusra infested Syrian opposition fighters who have seriously weakened president Assad, and then he's to be blamed for the rise of the Islamic State.
    Blame Assad for IS? Don't be silly. He might be a nasty mass murderer that shouldn't have started a civil war to save his job. But he only created the environment in which organizations like IS thrive. He never supported them to my knowledge.

  8. #78
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    We were trading oil with Iraq for 6 years prior to 2003.

    Profiteers have existed since war existed. Nothing we can do will change that.

    That's good.
    But why does it spike so drastically around then?

    What about the worlds elite all colluding is good?

  9. #79
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Blame Assad for IS? Don't be silly. He might be a nasty mass murderer that shouldn't have started a civil war to save his job. But he only created the environment in which organizations like IS thrive. He never supported them to my knowledge.
    He certainly did not support them hey were fighting him! They were the rebels!! Vice documents this pretty well...

    And america did more than anybody by far to make a breeding grounds for em...

  10. #80
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    But why does it spike so drastically around then?
    I don't know why it spikes then but it would be interesting to find out all the companies who apparently shipped the oil - especially since most of the oil fields in the South were in flames for months in 2003 and were being repaired most of that year.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •