View Poll Results: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 45.16%
  • No

    17 54.84%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 87

Thread: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Why shouldn't air strikes against a clear and present enemy in a region with a failed state be legal?
    Failed State, as some presumed criticism of president Assad! Western powers along with a little help from a few Arab states have supported all manner of AQ, MB, Al Nusra infested Syrian opposition fighters who have seriously weakened president Assad, and then he's to be blamed for the rise of the Islamic State.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #42
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I think retaliatory raids or air strikes for something another nation or today I would include an terrorist organization with no authorization from congress perfectly legal and I have no problem with them. But a sustained bombing campaign such as Libya or ISIS today that authorization from congress should be requested.

    Having said that, I keep hearing this bombing of ISIS is done IAW some resolution, law, legislation passed during the Bush II administration. I don't remember it and it could very well be. But if this thing, bombing which is expected to go on for years getting congress authorization I think should be done regardless of what resolution, legislation, law or whatever was passed during Bush II.

    So I am not sure if it is legal or not. Frankly I think it is needed. But I would feel a lot better about it if congress gave it approval. Something planned and scheduled to last years is not a retaliatory strike. I would like to see congress declare war on ISIS and bring the full weight of the USA to bear on them. No silly resolution which is not more than an opinion of congress. Do the real deal. Half measures and limited this and limited that will only make the situation worse. Do it right or do not do it.
    Don't forget about sovereign borders too.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #43
    Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    No.

    Not to us, but to Iraq and the surrounding area, ISIS/IS is a clear and present danger that needs to be eradicated. The only question is the methods to meet that goal.
    We are the biggest clear and present danger to the people of ME. (Excluding Israel) Not IS. We made a fertile breeding ground for groups like IS, and then confounded it by arming them in Syria. We caused this whole situation. IS is just capitalizing on the instability we caused in the region...

  4. #44
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    We are the biggest clear and present danger to the people of ME. (Excluding Israel) Not IS. We made a fertile breeding ground for groups like IS, and then confounded it by arming them in Syria. We caused this whole situation. IS is just capitalizing on the instability we caused in the region...
    Once again, spot on dude.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #45
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    No.

    Not to us, but to Iraq and the surrounding area, ISIS/IS is a clear and present danger that needs to be eradicated. The only question is the methods to meet that goal.
    Show me hard evidence that ISIS is a clear and present danger.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #46
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Show me hard evidence that ISIS is a clear and present danger.
    To us or to Iraq, because I'm talking about Iraq.

    Quote Originally Posted by b_dubz View Post
    We are the biggest clear and present danger to the people of ME. (Excluding Israel) Not IS. We made a fertile breeding ground for groups like IS, and then confounded it by arming them in Syria. We caused this whole situation. IS is just capitalizing on the instability we caused in the region...
    A silly way to derail the topic.

    ISIS is here and must be dealt with.

    It's the wrong time to get high and mighty, but yes, our policies made the breeding ground for militant trash like ISIS. Everyone knows this, you don't get a gold star for stating the obvious.
    Last edited by Van Basten; 09-25-14 at 09:56 AM.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  7. #47
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    To us or to Iraq, because I'm talking about Iraq.
    Both. Since when is the United States or any of the so called "coalition" countries bound to defend a separate and fully sovereign country like Iraq for them. Iraq is not in NATO, there are no defense treaties. And I would remind you that this was sold to the American public by stating ISIS is a clear and present danger to the U.S., which is a lie. There is no evidence presented to the American people other than the say so of those in this administration... and their word is at best suspect given the amount of lies they've told and cover ups they've been involved with over the last 6 years.

    So show me the evidence.


    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    A silly way to derail the topic.

    ISIS is here and must be dealt with.

    It's the wrong time to get high and mighty, but yes, our policies made the breeding ground for militant trash like ISIS. Everyone knows this, you don't get a gold star for stating the obvious.
    If what you say is true and ISIS must be dealt with, then the US law and Constitution must be upheld - bring the Congress back from vacation and have them debate the use of military and a declaration of war. What's obvious here is that people who were oh so quick to claim illegality in 2003 now claim "clear and present danger" where there is none. You've shown no evidence at all other than sabre rattling. Neo-cons are giggling and creepily rubbing their dirty hands together for perpetual war is at hand. Good job furthering their views.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #48
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    To us or to Iraq, because I'm talking about Iraq.



    A silly way to derail the topic.

    ISIS is here and must be dealt with.

    It's the wrong time to get high and mighty, but yes, our policies made the breeding ground for militant trash like ISIS. Everyone knows this, you don't get a gold star for stating the obvious.
    Are you kidding? I get argued with daily for pointing to that obvious. Far more participants of DP deny that "obvious" then acknowledge it!!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #49
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post

    So show me the evidence..
    Well, it's not for the USA, but it is for Iraq (and parts of Syria). Again, I'm not and never was talking about their threat level to America, stop bringing it up. And as for Iraq and so on: do you not keep up with the news?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/wo...rkey.html?_r=0

    I doubt a 100k people were running from nothing, and they're not even in Iraq. Clearly ISIS is a clear and present danger for folks in that part of the region. You can just Google this stuff, it's simpler than playing the denial game.

    You keep bringing up their threat level to America even though that is not what I've meant from the start. Let me be clear, I'm not worried about us, I'm worried about Iraq.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Are you kidding? I get argued with daily for pointing to that obvious. Far more participants of DP deny that "obvious" then acknowledge it!!
    Why do you continuously argue with people that don't care about facts?
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  10. #50
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Do you find airstrikes in Syria as legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Both. Since when is the United States or any of the so called "coalition" countries bound to defend a separate and fully sovereign country like Iraq for them. Iraq is not in NATO, there are no defense treaties. And I would remind you that this was sold to the American public by stating ISIS is a clear and present danger to the U.S., which is a lie. There is no evidence presented to the American people other than the say so of those in this administration... and their word is at best suspect given the amount of lies they've told and cover ups they've been involved with over the last 6 years.

    So show me the evidence.




    If what you say is true and ISIS must be dealt with, then the US law and Constitution must be upheld - bring the Congress back from vacation and have them debate the use of military and a declaration of war. What's obvious here is that people who were oh so quick to claim illegality in 2003 now claim "clear and present danger" where there is none. You've shown no evidence at all other than sabre rattling. Neo-cons are giggling and creepily rubbing their dirty hands together for perpetual war is at hand. Good job furthering their views.
    The bolded, Spot on again. And dj vu. As was the WMD and smoking gun as a mushroom cloud over a US city, a Bush administration lie and fear tactic that sold Iraq war part two to the American people. Let's hope it doesn't work for Iraq war part three.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •