View Poll Results: is it ever allowable for a Parent to punish their child with force?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 66.67%
  • No

    15 21.74%
  • Other (explain)

    8 11.59%
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 382

Thread: Parents: Punishing Kids [W:361]

  1. #371
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Yea those things are the worst! We started slowly throwing them away one at a time. When they were gone we never asked for Hot Wheels again!
    When our kids wanted Hot Wheels my husband said "Nuh uh". I think he's afraid of them to this day.

    Hey, is your daughter an only child? I know you said you never had to spank her. I often wonder if kids in multiples tend to get in trouble more than the singletons.

  2. #372
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    When our kids wanted Hot Wheels my husband said "Nuh uh". I think he's afraid of them to this day.

    Hey, is your daughter an only child? I know you said you never had to spank her. I often wonder if kids in multiples tend to get in trouble more than the singletons.
    I think they absolutely do.

    When they are together they come up with stuff only one doesn't.

    One can convince the other to do things they wouldn't normally do.

  3. #373
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,547

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    When our kids wanted Hot Wheels my husband said "Nuh uh". I think he's afraid of them to this day.

    Hey, is your daughter an only child? I know you said you never had to spank her. I often wonder if kids in multiples tend to get in trouble more than the singletons.
    It's not that. She was just a pretty well balanced and behaved girl. Besides I could never hit my baby girls, including my wife. My wife however did spank here one time for mouthing off. I think it caught us both off guard as mom is pretty even keeled. She never mouthed off again, lol.

    But yea I agree groups are worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #374
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    It's not that. She was just a pretty well balanced and behaved girl. Besides I could never hit my baby girls, including my wife. My wife however did spank here one time for mouthing off. I think it caught us both off guard as mom is pretty even keeled. She never mouthed off again, lol.

    But yea I agree groups are worse.
    My father never spanked me. My mother did. My father held the opinion that no man should hit a woman, even a naughty daughter.

  5. #375
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Some guy trying to do that to an adult is completely ridiculous. Children and adults have different perspectives. Trying to compare a disciplinary spanking of a child to an assault on an adult is nonsense.
    How do you figure that?

    OK please post the scientific results that say spanking (not abuse) causes psychological damage. Spanking is not abuse if done correctly for the right reasons.
    Google "does spanking cause psychological trauma" and you will get tons of evidence that it in fact does.

    The right reasons? The only right reasons are inside peoples minds. There is no such thing as the right reasons to assault someone in the real world.

    Yes, it should have died out centuries ago. The fact that it hasn't is a failure of the human race to grow and move past barbaric idiocy.

  6. #376
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,547

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How do you figure that?
    If I have to explain it, this conversation has no reason to continue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Google "does spanking cause psychological trauma" and you will get tons of evidence that it in fact does.
    Then prove it. You made the claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The right reasons? The only right reasons are inside peoples minds. There is no such thing as the right reasons to assault someone in the real world.
    We are not assaulting someone, we are disciplining a child. As far as "The only right reasons are inside peoples minds." I agree it is subjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, it should have died out centuries ago. The fact that it hasn't is a failure of the human race to grow and move past barbaric idiocy.
    Baseless opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #377
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    My mother in law used to whack my husband and his brothers with the Hot Wheel track. I didn't think anyone else got that!
    I've honestly never heard of that one. I can visualize it, though.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #378
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Google "does spanking cause psychological trauma" and you will get tons of evidence that it in fact does.
    ...and you will get tons of evidence that it doesn't. What's your point?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    If I have to explain it, this conversation has no reason to continue.
    Why is that?

    Then prove it. You made the claim.
    Spankings have been connected by numerous studies to cognitive impairment, long-term developmental difficulties and decreases in a child's IQ. This is caused by spanking changing the grey matter in the brain that influences intelligence and learning abilities. Spanking also adversely affects areas of the brain involved in sensory perception, speech, muscular control, emotions and memory increasing the risk of aggression and childhood depression. In case you're not aware being depressed as a child is the worst time in your life for it to happen.

    We are not assaulting someone, we are disciplining a child. As far as "The only right reasons are inside peoples minds." I agree it is subjective.
    Call it hugs and kisses if it makes you feel better. Whatever you decide to call it doesn't change the nature of the act at all. How it affects a child varies, but the effects of trauma are well known.

    Baseless opinion.
    Yes, it's my opinion.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-23-14 at 01:46 PM.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    ...and you will get tons of evidence that it doesn't. What's your point?
    Studies that say it doesn't?? By whom?

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •