View Poll Results: is it ever allowable for a Parent to punish their child with force?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 66.67%
  • No

    15 21.74%
  • Other (explain)

    8 11.59%
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 382

Thread: Parents: Punishing Kids [W:361]

  1. #261
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If you really go around hitting dogs it's a bit hypocritical to get mad at him for it. I know what you say, but this has nothing to do with me, but doesn't it? Do you really think you can go around slapping dogs and there is no risk of that behavior popping up in your kids?


    Moderator's Warning:
    Parents: Punishing Kids [W:361] Either quote where he said he goes around hitting dogs or drop that line of inquiry. If he didn't say that he does such things (and in fact he said he doesn't) then this borders on baiting.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460
    Last edited by Ceist; 09-21-14 at 12:17 AM.

  3. #263
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If you really go around hitting dogs it's a bit hypocritical to get mad at him for it. I know what you say, but this has nothing to do with me, but doesn't it? Do you really think you can go around slapping dogs and there is no risk of that behavior popping up in your kids?
    So if he sees me drinking a beer, then that gives him permission to also drink a beer even though he has been told not to?

    When your kids do something wrong, do you look for the reason why and excuse it if you can understand why they did it, or do you punish them for what they did.

    I do not go around slapping dogs, but if the two hyper dogs I have jump on me, yes I hit them, like a slap to get them off me.

    The kid has to listen and do what I say without question for his own good.

    Maybe with your kids it is a voting situation but not with mine.

    if he is in danger of crossing the street with a car coming he needs to listen when I tell him to stop where he is. I don't care about his opinion that he wants to cross the street at that moment.

  4. #264
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I rarely raise my voice to children. On the rare occasions I do, it is the deep-throated 'voice of command' issuing a terse ultimatum, and rarely ever is that disregarded.... because they know that's their last warning before....

    Even toddlers hear the authority of the male voice. They know.

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-13-15 @ 10:52 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    What is a 4 year old going to learn from being beaten like this by a parent?

    PHOTOS: Injuries of Adrian Peterson's son

  6. #266
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    That is like rolling the dice and hoping it will work.

    Since I live in Mexico, I don't want him growing up to be a good Mexican, which means having no respect for authority at all.

    You are right that the punishment should be enhanced, however doing the same thing, albeit for a longer time, is doing the same thing.

    No it isn't....at all. Saying so just shows that you have little concept of what good parenting is about.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #267
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    The punishment should fit the crime. The End.
    but this is not a crime discussion, this is a spanking/physical punishment discussion with regard to children.

    Children might break rules, but how can a child ever (especially at a young age) make rhyme or reason for their parents hugging and embracing them and then those same parents who you rely on for love and comfort go ape**** and take out of branch of a tree/belt/end of wood to beat the crap out of you?

    Yes, children must be punished if they break rules, but to take your hand to them (or something in your hand) gives off the wrong message. It gives off the message that the ones who love you may hurt you. That violence is the best option to punish rule breakers. That using your voice and reason is second/third/forth to a good old beating.

    That kind of message gives a child the wrong message because there is a good chance he will have a negative relationship with that parent, he will repeat the same behaviors in his life (whether it be on the street, in school, in his later relationship or towards his/her own child).

    And there are countless of options parents can take instead of a physical assault on their own flesh and blood to discipline them. The only thing (according to most if not all experts) is that you have to be consequent and that is where most parents fail, especially the beating ones because often that parent is very very angry when they decide to punish that child and act accordingly. Learning out of fear is not a desirable way to teach anything to any living thing.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  8. #268
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No it isn't....at all. Saying so just shows that you have little concept of what good parenting is about.
    I am glad you know everything about my son.

    Youcan roll the dice with your kids. It is too dangerous here to do that.

  9. #269
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I am glad you know everything about my son.

    Youcan roll the dice with your kids. It is too dangerous here to do that.
    I never claimed to "know everything about your son". However, it doesn't take a rocket science to know that hitting kids is not only not the most effective way to teach a child discipline it teaches children that using physical violence is the way to deal with your problems. I'm guessing that is a lesson that you learned from your parents.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #270
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    We can say what we want about corporal punishment. I got spanked as a kid. I never interpreted it to mean that the ones I love are the ones I should fear. I interpreted it as if I choose to do things that I know will result in my being spanked, don't get caught.

    And honestly, the belt shouldn't really start till they are, what, 8 or 9? I can't really recall, but...I only remember getting the belt when I was a bit older, not a toddler. Bu to try to hide your child from violence forever will simply result in a RUDE awakening when they are teenagers.


    Humans are violent. And EVENTUALLY, one way or another, that fact WILL be driven home to your children.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •