View Poll Results: is it ever allowable for a Parent to punish their child with force?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 66.67%
  • No

    15 21.74%
  • Other (explain)

    8 11.59%
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 382

Thread: Parents: Punishing Kids [W:361]

  1. #131
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    If it works.

    I might prefer Liberal Democracy, but I am hardly married to the idea.
    You serve just for your own benefit? How wretched. Did you choke when you took the oath to the Constitution?

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You serve just for your own benefit? How wretched. Did you choke when you took the oath to the Constitution?
    And the benefit of society in general.

    There is a time and place for authoritarianism just as there is anything else in this world. Democracy is not always ideal for every situation.

    As a matter of fact, under some circumstances, it can be a hindrance.

  3. #133
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It is the stubborn man that refuses to accept things for how they are that changes the world. A balanced individual does what he pleases, but knows what is right. He does not simply follow the rules because they are the rules, but because he knows it is right to follow the rules and he accepts them on the grounds of reason, not on the grounds of obedience. I do not desire to make my children obedient in the name of obedience, but to make them understand what is right.
    Tell me, are young children always reasonable and rational and control their impulses? I would say 99% out of 100% don't. If you have the 1%, thank Jesus and all the rest of the other deities, cause sonny you hit the jackpot. Your argument doesn't apply to children, as they are not always rational, and are quite impulsive and are at many times unreasonable. You have to require obedience until they become rational and control their impulses and are reasonable. Understand now? As parents we are protecting our children from themselves until they gain their rationality and can control themselves.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  4. #134
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Sorry, but that's what we have. It doesn't appear to be going away any time soon either.
    No, it's your own warped (hateful) perspective of the justice system as a means of extracting revenge. Don't blame your own fraudulent interpretation of the justice system on others.

    If you could understand what the justice system really is (a justification of society itself), you'd have a higher level of understanding.

    What are you advocating instead? Euro-style "luxury resort" prisons?
    Not at all. Where did you get such an idea?

    Do you have any idea how much that kind of system costs?
    The system we have is a justice system. You don't know the purpose of a justice system, so you think I'm talking about something that does not yet exist in the US. That's funny if pathetic.

    Singapore is not a "third world **** hole."
    Perhaps second world, but definitely a ****hole.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Incarceration alone does not serve redemption. Rehabilitation opportunities within prison serve redemption. Does rehabilitation work? Perhaps almost never; however, the opportunity nonetheless justifies the very existence of society and that's the purpose of the justice system.
    Does the prison environment promote positive change? There is a reason for the failure of prison to get positive results. It is expected to be rare that a man will be redeemed in a nightmarish environment.

  6. #136
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    And the benefit of society in general.

    There is a time and place for authoritarianism just as there is anything else in this world. Democracy is not always ideal for every situation.

    As a matter of fact, under some circumstances, it can be a hindrance.
    Childish BS.

  7. #137
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Any thing you hold in your hand to beat someone is a weapon. I don't care how many centuries you go back.
    Were in my quote did I even mention using physical force? What I agree with and what I do are two different things, I suggest you remember that.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #138
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Does the prison environment promote positive change? There is a reason for the failure of prison to get positive results. It is expected to be rare that a man will be redeemed in a nightmarish environment.
    Obviously we are not doing well in the redemption department. More prisoners learn new ways of committing crime than experience redemption. That's irrelevant to an understanding of the justice system and its goals (protection and redemption - the things that justify society, and not extracting revenge).

  9. #139
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    What I agree with and what I do are two different things, I suggest you remember that.
    Well if that's not a proclamation of hypocrisy, I don't know what is.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Parents: Punishing Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Tell me, are young children always reasonable and rational and control their impulses? I would say 99% out of 100% don't. If you have the 1%, thank Jesus and all the rest of the other deities, cause sonny you hit the jackpot. Your argument doesn't apply to children, as they are not always rational, and are quite impulsive and are at many times unreasonable. You have to require obedience until they become rational and control their impulses and are reasonable. Understand now? As parents we are protecting our children from themselves until they gain their rationality and can control themselves.
    When I was growing up I used to watch my mother babysit and over the years I picked up on a great many little things she did to get children to behave. My mother is a gentle woman that approached parenting in an interesting and highly effective way. It is a way that I adopted myself to a large degree when I had a child of my own. I did this because of how gentle and yet extremely efficient it was. Her main focus was understanding and choice. She would only issue punishment in extreme situations, and besides that she would never punish the children, but focused her attention on understanding. She wanted to know why the kids misbehaved and deal with their reasons, as she felt that many times children misbehaved for reasons they feel strongly about and that those reasons should not simply be ignored and thrown to the side as unimportant. She felt that resolving a problem meant dealing with it's causes and it was important to teach children to deal with their problems in better more peaceful means. Children are not from my experience through all my years run by mindless impulses, but the same things we as adults are. We have to treat them with respect and unconditional love and try our best to replace punishments with reason.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-19-14 at 06:15 PM.

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •