View Poll Results: newsworthy or sensationalism?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • newsworthy

    3 25.00%
  • sensationalism

    7 58.33%
  • other (please explain)

    2 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: crimes by celebrities

  1. #11
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,771

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    It appears a great number of people did not get that memo, or did not care about it one or the other.
    Because a great number of people are stupid. That's why the planet is so screwed up.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #12
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    The purpose of the news is to get people to read what you write more than it is to report or inform. And more people want to read and gossip about the hollywood people than they do about Joe Schmoe unless he does something horrific for the most part. I'm not saying that is a good thing but that is where we are at.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Of course it's important/newsworthy when a politician commits a crime, especially if it's a high ranking politician, but what about entertainers and athletes? If a famous athlete commits a crime, is it more newsworthy than if Joe Schmoe commits the same crime?
    Depends entirely what you mean by newsworthy.

    If you're meaning from the sense as the public has some significant need to know, not at all.

    If you're meaning from the sense as the public wants to know, absolutely.

    Scandalous things envolving people in the public eye draw ratings and buy rates because the public generally are interested in reading about it, listening to it, talking about it, etc. It generates controversy, and controversy generates cash. Most of the time Joe Schmoe committing a job isn't going to cause much controversy and thus isn't going to get much attention...and thus isn't very "news worthy" as it relates to the public. However replace Joe Schmoe with a public figure and suddenly it does become interesting to the public because there's a semi "personal" feeling the public has as it relates to public officials.

    Even though we don't actually KNOW actors or athletes or muscians or what have you, we have a closer familiarity with them (or what is projected to be "them") then we do with a random person in the world.

  4. #14
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Depends entirely what you mean by newsworthy.

    If you're meaning from the sense as the public has some significant need to know, not at all.

    If you're meaning from the sense as the public wants to know, absolutely.

    Scandalous things envolving people in the public eye draw ratings and buy rates because the public generally are interested in reading about it, listening to it, talking about it, etc. It generates controversy, and controversy generates cash. Most of the time Joe Schmoe committing a job isn't going to cause much controversy and thus isn't going to get much attention...and thus isn't very "news worthy" as it relates to the public. However replace Joe Schmoe with a public figure and suddenly it does become interesting to the public because there's a semi "personal" feeling the public has as it relates to public officials.

    Even though we don't actually KNOW actors or athletes or muscians or what have you, we have a closer familiarity with them (or what is projected to be "them") then we do with a random person in the world.
    You forced me to look up the definition of newsworthy and it turns out that it's synonymous with sensational. I guess I should've said important instead of newsworthy.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  5. #15
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    If we go by the "whatever the market will bear" doctrine, then it's newsworthy simply because others are will to read/watch it and pay for it. Just because YOU claim to not be interested doesn't make it irrelevant.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #16
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Of course it's important/newsworthy when a politician commits a crime, especially if it's a high ranking politician, but what about entertainers and athletes? If a famous athlete commits a crime, is it more newsworthy than if Joe Schmoe commits the same crime?
    I hate to say it, but it's obvious that famous people are far more newsworthy, regardless of the activity, simply because they're famous - after all, that's basically the definition of fame, isn't it?

    It's a little elitist to hide or try to belittle the vast majority of people's lurid interest in what "the other half" is doing. I don't pay much attention to celebrity, but when someone famous does something asinine it's newsworthy. If the media didn't cover it, we'd be complaining about the media protecting celebrities and not being transparent.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #17
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I hate to say it, but it's obvious that famous people are far more newsworthy, regardless of the activity, simply because they're famous - after all, that's basically the definition of fame, isn't it?

    It's a little elitist to hide or try to belittle the vast majority of people's lurid interest in what "the other half" is doing. I don't pay much attention to celebrity, but when someone famous does something asinine it's newsworthy. If the media didn't cover it, we'd be complaining about the media protecting celebrities and not being transparent.
    This is the post that should end the thread. Well done, sir.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Of course it's important/newsworthy when a politician commits a crime, especially if it's a high ranking politician, but what about entertainers and athletes? If a famous athlete commits a crime, is it more newsworthy than if Joe Schmoe commits the same crime?
    I don't think so, but in our celebrity obsessed society, it becomes so for the news agencies since they operate on ratings.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #19
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: crimes by celebrities

    Politicians? Only if it affected law or policy.

    Athletes? Only to tell us they are not playing as that affects betting.

    Celebrities? Not at all because Jack pulling out a golf club to his somebody with does not affect my watching his movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •